Another Wurkkos TS22 bug found

According to reddit post here Wurkkos TS22 fails to maintain same brightness after turning light off when battery voltage is about 3.85V or lower. Brightness decreases for about 20-30%.
I have TS22 with HICRI XHP70.3 led and can confirm the same behavior.

This flashlight would be almost perfect if not parasitic drain and stupid lockout mode…

I heard in Sofirn’s facebook group, that in their newer models you can disable auto lockout. I don’t know if true, I don’t have one. But if yours is 70.3 Hi 90cri from factory, it should be newish model. Then opening the light from locked mode with 4 clicks, should disable the auto lockout. Hopefully it works.

Does not work on my unit… Cant turn off auto lockout.

Hmm. Too bad

Does it deactivate it if you use the lighted switch feature?

as per

From OFF;

• 5 clicks: Set the switch indicator button to constant-on green, flashing green (roughly one quick flash every 2 secs), or off (default setting). The setting is memorized for when you next reconnect the battery/tailcap. This allows the switch LED to serve as a locator beacon for the flashlight, or an impromptu moonlight mode (see below). Note that setting either constant or flashing green disables the auto lock-out function (again scroll down for a discussion).

Personally, I will never own the light for that very reason. A constant iluminated swith or aux light and auto lock are required for my use. That and only 2 clicks to get unlocked is too few, it would be useless. And the lockout time of 3 minutes is loooonnnnnggg… but it would be passable if not for the other lack of features.

Yes, it deactivates auto lock feature and activates very high parasitic drain “feature”.

this works really well; actually better than my other lights now. I was already a fan of the tail twist though - I much prefer simple mechanical break than relying on another electronic system. The switch light shows me if power is on or off, and where to find the switch

High parasitic drain, auto-lock and now a new bug that just drops the output for no reason?

Makes me wonder why people recommend this light so much.

It seems most people that are experiencing the bug have the driver marked 20220804. I’m no expert, but it seems all 3 problems can be fixed through firmware? Did Wurkkos released any firmware newer than the 20220804?

1 Thank

I’m also seeing the same on my TS22. There’s about a 20% drop in lumens once the battery is below around 3.85V

However, I found a workaround: if you crack the tail cap, while the light is on, then you get back to full 100%. I also verified this using a current clamp meter.

Similar to my Convoy S21E, braking the circuit (crack the tail cap) while the light is on will allow the light to come back on in the same mode – even turbo for the TS22 – once you complete the circuit (tighten the tail cap). I assume this is to support a forward clicky tail switch.

1 Thank

I believe it’s because it seems like the most efficient light in its class, with longer sustained runtimes than say the Acebeam E75, though the TS22’s 90CRI option has lower R9 values.

Reportedly they did add an option to remove the auto lockout, not sure which date that is. The parasitic drain is terrible but actually becomes reasonable (100 uA) after auto-lockout engages, so 5.5 years to drain. Also the linked reviewer found a use: a pseudo moonlight mode, with a slight twist of the tailcap as the off button.

I did really want this light for the runtimes and powerbank but now am just going to wait for the TS26.

Use Convoy Tac Switch and no more lock out…

That is a pretty great idea given what quahog said. I suppose this is one of the few lights where it would actually work correctly? Or what other lights retain the last state of the e-switch when reconnected with the tailcap?

Which Convoy tactical tailcap fits? Or what’s the cheapest light with one that fits?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005963939183.html

1 Thank

My M21b tailcap works also.

I was looking at this model the TS22 with the 70.3Hi but it is never in stock.

I had thought about the 70.2 5000K this one is in stock.

I have the SC33 with the 70.3Hi and it doesn’t have an automatic lock, it has never been activated since I got it I think it was the last version and they fixed it.

Is the TS22 worth it if I have a SC33?

If it is almost the same I do not buy it.

Thanks!
PS:SC33 is a beast floods the Forest of light but I miss some point in the distance and it forces me to carry a small one with the SFT40 for the distance.

I think SC33 has bit bigger reflector than TS22

Yes, very little else.

It was in case it feels smaller in the hand is little difference in measurements and I have not seen a photo with the TS22 and SC33 together to see if it is smaller TS22.

I will wait for the new TS25 vs TS26.

It was just for size carry and a smaller sized SC33 although the SC33 feels good in the hand, it is large compared to other models with 21700.

Thanks.

Here’s an interesting finding for the auto lock-out:

After the 3+ minutes, the device only enables the auto-lock when you click the button. This means that if you’ve left your light off (but still powered; i.e. did not crack the tail cap), there’s still a way to get into moonlight mode.

Steps:

1. Crack tail cap (to remove power)
  2. Click the switch (to drain any remaining charge in capacitors, etc.)
  3. Re-engage the tail cap.
  4. Click and hold for moon.

I’ll admit, it’s probably easier to just cover the lens, double-click to on, click off, then you’re ready to engage moonlight.

Still, I thought it was an interesting finding into how the firmware is programmed.

1 Thank

In short, no. Especially not if you want throw.

If you want a higher CRI EDC light with side switch, then yes, the TS22 is more compact.

Here is a beamshot comparison( 0.9m from ceiling, F4, ISO200, 1/500, 5200K WB):

TS22 XHP70.3 HI 5000K 90CRI (stock, no diffusion):

SC33 XHP70.3 HI 5000K 70CRI :

1 Thank