Any better ways to spend my $12.99?

Ding Ding Ding…pushing XM-L T6 at 3A you can get VERY close to 1000 [910-975 Lumen]but it will take something better than stock (aluminum star, cheap heatsink compound, thin wires, thin battery springs) to get and keep it there (noctigon/sinkpad copper star, epoxy or RTV bond star to pill, thick 20ga or better wires, solder braid battery spring…the usual basic performance tweaks)

Well, I ALMOST clicked the buy button on the C8. And I still might.
It certainly looks like a great light, and exactly what I want, but…

It just occurred to me, since it sounds like I really would have to get some better quality batteries (and a better charger?) to go with it, that I should at least look at what’s out there in the AA options. I already have a bunch of rechargable Eneloops, and I use them a lot, so it might make more sense to stick with them.

If, that is, there’s anything in the near 1000 lumen range for this cheap.
So, I’m over to the AA section to do a little reading.

I don’t think there’s anything this cheap that’ll give you 1000 lumens with AA batteries.
The only ones I can think of are the Fenix and Nitecore 8*AA torches, but they’re $100-$150

I suggest you hold back on your little luxuries for a day and then have another $10 to spend on a light, bringing you to $30 which would open up a lot of doors. Eg when I want something really bad but I’m a bit short on money, I’ll stop getting extra pickles on my burgers for a few days. Lets face it, a brighter torch is much more useful than a digested pickle.

C8 is a VERY good stock “budget” thrower, you won’t be disappointed

Recent group buy item:

http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1980

Less throw than the C8 and cost a bit more. Some issues with mode change, read the thread and decide for yourself.

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/24825

D40A group buy price might still be on(?) but that's $50. I ordered one but haven't received it yet.

(You can run a C8 on 4xAA's if you can find extension tubes, but they're rarer than hens' teeth for Ultrafire. FastTech has Convoy tubes, though.)

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/25987

OK, I have to agree you have a point there. Lol

I’m just trying despretely to save up for a new set of tires before Mickey Thompson’s rebate ends the end of this month. So, if I go for a more expensive light, I should probably wait a few weeks.

This looks like the closest thing I can find so far in the low budget arena. A little more expensive and a little less bright than the C8, but the convenience of AAs might be worth it…

Pricey pickles down under.

in AA if you want high lumens you go for

Klarus P1A (150 lumens) or Zebralight SC52 (300) for single AA NiMH

For 4AA you would look at
Starry light (4AA), 700 lumens maybe, has some quirks/flaws
Nitecore EA4 (980 lumen) only a few minutes at max at a time, poor heatsinking
Sunwayman D40A, i don’t know much about it but seems to get good reviews

I think that about covers the best options, if i missed anything then please chime in

I think I’m going to go with the Starry light.
Even though it’s not the brightest one around, it should still be over twice as bright as my cheap UltraOK current brightest light.

The next time the flashaholism strikes, I’ll get some good quality 18650s and probably the C8, but I just think this light will get a lot more use without having to bother with any special batteries.

Thanks for all the advice! Even though I didn’t go with the C8 in this case, I never would have even heard of the Starry light without this place.

Just be forewarned that the Starry Light is not perfect. Bort can probably elaborate on that a bit for you. I wouldn’t want to have to wade through the GB thread to get all the details. I don’t think it’s a big deal. I haven’t handled mine for more than a minute, but it seemed to be what I expected when I ordered it based on the earlier threads like this one.

Also note that there are two versions available, the regular one that Illumination Supply got and a BLF edition that CNQG carries (this came about after IS got their stock).

Yes, be aware of the differences in the BLF edition before ordering.

Choose wisely, grasshopper.

I like the looks of the BLF version! I was still looking for the best place to order it anyway.
I see the group buy is closed, but it looks like the lights are still available?

I don’t mind tinkering with stuff, so I imagine it’ll be fine. I’ll browse through that thread some more later.

The lights are still available, while the group buy was active it came with free shipping. Still a good price.

Yes, the BLF edition is still available at the GB price but you no longer get free shipping. CNQG is the only place to order the BLF edition as far as I know.

Starry light has 600 lumens tops, not more. AAs can’t handle more current (voltage drops quickly).

You may still think about C8. The one from Convoy has really nice quality, XM-L2 U2 at 2,8A means a lot of light (over 1000 LED lumens) and smooth reflector means nice throw. All that for $14,46 shipped after coupon (XML2 U2-1A SMO version):

Man…. It’s times like this when being as indecisive as I am kind of sucks! :face_with_monocle:
It really sounds like I couldn’t go wrong with either of them, and the $14 vs $26-$27 doesn’t sound bad.
The difference would pay for some better batteries…

Although… Thinking back, last year I used a flashlight with my cheap Ultra Fire 18560s almost every day for work, and they seemed fine. Of course, I don’t have much to compare to, but they didn’t blow up in my hand or anything…
They might be ok for a little while until I upgrade.

And I do still have my Fenix LD20 which gets most of my use…

I'm not sure if this helps or not. There's quite a few night shots of popular lights here that are stock including the Starry Light.

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/26207

I think most of us would recommend not purchasing a new 18650 light before purchasing new batteries and charger. If you want to be cheap RMM has the XTAR MC1 and Nitecore i2 chargers in his shop here in the states, those should both be good quality budget options. He’s also got various 18650’s sold in singles and the well respected XinTD C8 flashlight.

Well, I have the C8 XML2 U2-1A SMO on the way!
I didn’t order any better batteries yet, but I’ll certainly get some soon.

I still like the looks of the Starry light, and I might get one eventually, but in this case… I couldn’t say no to 1/3 more light, for 2/3 the price.