Any info on Sinkpad vs Noctigon perfomance?

These are similarly priced mcPCBs with good reputations, but I couldn’t find much info on how they perform in comparison with one another.

I want to know what you guys think.

This is what you’re looking for :

Thanks for the link! It made good reading on the performance of Noctigon mcPCBs.

Do you know the version of the mentioned Sinkpad?

And did Noctigon boards change since then and now?

Biggest difference is trace width.

I prefer Noctigons. They have wider, shorter traces and the bondpads for soldering to the driver are larger.

I typically only use a Sinkpad if I don’t have an equivalent Noctigon on hand.

thanks, i had missed that thread, i love test data :slight_smile:

Don’t no why people are answering about “Sinkpad”. They are not available for long time.
Noctogon pcbs are not best, but much better than Sinkpad-II which have hole (pit?) under leds central pad.
Best mcpcbs were made by dsche.

Not awailable? Ofc they are awailable, either Ebay, leddna or lckled, recently i got 30 XM MCPCBs and now experimenting with U3 1A….i aint sure ( yet) but i think Sinkpad hold a bit lower voltage drop over Noctigon- will report back after i use all those 30 to avoid lucky emitter picks
That hole doent matter, it aint a multidie CPU with trillions of transistors inside

Do not confuse sinkpad and sinkpad-II. Technologies have big difference.

Is the sinkpad 2 made from AppleTM iCopper, guaranteed to be 200% more vogue?

:stuck_out_tongue:

By Sinkpad he ment Sinkpad 2 obviously, the first generation expired asyou said

Apple and Sinkpad? Come on….dont start the Apple vs others drama pls :slight_smile:

Sinkpad 2 have no upper copper layer over main copper plate. This means that central pad is lower than + and - pads. This technology is easier and noctigon 2 pcbs should be visibly cheaper than noctigon.

CPU power consumption is rarely bigger than 70w. Heat transporation plate is 40×40mm. 44mW/mm2.
XP-L power is 10W with central pad 2.3×3.3mm. 1317mW/mm2.

Well, mine is about 280 watts :slight_smile:

Plus it has a build in GPU , also multilayer, also with trillions of transistors, those multicore tent to build up inside heat( especialy the middle cores, that are away from the “black sillicone”), indeed every deg C there counts, literaly every degree! I can clock it out to 5000 if i keep the temp under 80 deg, 81 and voila, no more 5k LinX stable test:

If the CPU misses several clocks you can say baai baai to the PC stability, and there are way too may clocks in there

The emitter on the other hand doesnt have “clocks” or anything simillar- its quite simple, it aint a miltilayer, nothing compatible with a nowadays CPU.

All is vice versa.
If CPU heated to much, it will use high frequency throttling which will makes temperature more usable with same stability. It is very hard to burn CPU (almost unreal). They can work without any heatsink. Thermal management is almost ideal.
LED have no internal thermal protection, it will eat as much power as you bring to it. Lots of users have A6 and use xpl at 5-6A.
By the way, this is not answer for previous argument. I don’t know any difficult electronic part which have more power/area than nowadays leds. You CPU sucks more than 10 times.

Well….it`s pointless :slight_smile:

Just a hint: can the temp if a 300w led emitter jump from 30 C to 78 C in under 1 second while soldered( or liquid metal directly applied on the CPU die) to a 500g Cu block that is watercooled and the liquid( 3 kiloes of it, running at high speed through the system) is at 25 deg?

@ed CPu does this every time i hit Run on LinX

This also prooves my first statement :slight_smile: ( unfortunately ofc, for us) Go to extremeOC formus and check topics pls, things changed dramaticly after 3d transistors emerged( again, unfortunately for the OCers)

On the topic: i will post Sinkpad XML results when i have them, either way the differece( if any) will be only a minnimal and only rellevant for someone in a max result chase

You look like guys who sais ‘horse power is nothing, torque is all’. I allways recommend them to swap tank motor in their car.
I am just saying that thermal transfer requirments for leds are much more than for cpu. You example is bad. You can take a copper rod, put it between cpu and you heatsink, make measurements, then make central parts of this part thiner, make measurements one more time and so on. And Im sure there will be almost no difference untile rod will have twice less OD (four times less area) than cpu area.
I have starter many cpus without heatsink and from e6300 lga775 to new cores all worked good.
Difference is minimal, yes. Problem is other, this type of pcbs have not stable results cause soldering is not good (paste that is made for one thickness should lay down within 3-4 more time thickness).
Do you know lux-rc lights? 20mm triple light engines are not direct thermal. Even 30W modules. So even this way dont give big difference.

Nonsensical comparison and figures.

CPU’s:

• Need at least all of their maximum specified power to be efficiently transferred away from them if expected to operate (reliably) at maximum sustained performance. Back in my overclocking times only the newer P4s had thermal throttling, so what I’ve enclosed between parenthesis in my previous sentence was also a must for Athlon users.
  • The blast furnace is the die, which is much smaller than that protective plate you mention, and in those early days of overclocking duties, only P4s started being assembled with, which serious overclockers would remove because they dampened the effective transfer of heat: die to sink direct contact is the way to go, much alike using DTP boards in leds.

It is clear that the dies are much smaller than these 1600mm² you were speaking of, don’t they? And heck, some of these dies are huge compared to the older ones!

And with regards to leds: a led is not a heater, it transforms electricity into light, and if it were 100% efficient, it wouldn’t heat at all (well, not any hotter than its surroundings).

Now the figures seem much closer.

Peace, love & cheers,
Salvador :partying_face:

Hey! I really need those aluminum heat sinks for the X6.

My point is that the sinkpad 2 is not a performance upgrade, they are still copper
Unless i missed the memo about them being silver or diamond