Any relatively inexpensive UV flashlight solutions out there?

Are there any decent 18650 365nm lights available comparable or better than this AA one?

http://www.dx.com/es/p/tank007-1w-365-370nm-led-purple-light-uv-flashlight-black-1-x-aa-248899

Based on the one AA battery, listed current draw of 350 mA and the inability to use a 14500 battery, based on listed maximum voltage in, this is a quite low power light. This presumes the listed specs are correct, always dangerous with Chinese retailer listings. No idea of what the actual UV output intensity is and whether or not it will meet your requirements.

Nitecore has a much higher power 365nm UV light, the Chameleon CU6, and Eagletac does a UV drop-in for their T20C2 MKII, both discussed earlier in this thread IIRC. Both are 18650 compatible lights from name brand companies.

I was never looking to use it as a germ killer. I just thought it was interesting how this post has turned out from my original one. :bigsmile: I was just looking for a general purpose UV light to light up a few bills and have it to play with. The wealth of knowledge in this flashlight community never ceases to amaze me.

There’s a lot of debate around the wavelength for germ nuking. I’m just going off what my Steripen (battery powered UV water steriliser) emits - 254nm and what Wiki states. Steripen are the leaders for this product and it works great.

And for germ killing, leds are hopeless: wavelength too long, crappy output, very expensive. A cheapy uv CFL-tube is way superior. Leds only come into play if the light needs to be directional, pointed to somewhere away from you.

The only germ-killing I’ve done with a UV light is when I used my 365nm P60 to locate hidden gunk while cleaning. It was very effective for showing me where I really needed to scrub.

Plus, it’s kind of entertaining to show someone what their kitchen or bathroom really looks like. They probably never realized it was so dirty, since they can’t easily see where the yuck has accumulated.

Don’t get this one from DX

I bought it, hoping to use it as a backup for detecting A/C system leaks at work. Arrived today, whacked it in a spare SF L2 host, & it worked for a few seconds, before failing.

Just pulled it apart now, & it has no driver circuitry - ie; direct drive…. Killed it rather quickly with a Samsung laptop pull…. I guess it was meant to be used with a crappy Ultrafail cell :expressionless:

DX Ticket & PP claim lodged….

"350mA current output digitally regulated driver circuitry" I think you have a point starting a ticket at dx.

any news on those ?

Just got two shipped to me today. They’re mounted on noctigons now!

Edit: linky-link http://intl-outdoor.com/noctigon-xp16-v2-uv-365nm-led-p-835.html

Is there any chance you could post a close-up pic of the emitter in that?

Most UV emitters cost more than the entire product, and as far as I can tell Cree doesn’t make UV emitters… so I’m wondering what the LED actually is.

Edit: The post I was responding to seems to be gone now. It linked to some sort of cheap ~400nm light on eBay.

Bacteria like Clostridium difficile form spores when conditions are not ideal for it. Ironically like when it is exposed to certain cleaning or bactericidal agents like benzethonium chloride. (Household bleach or vinegar don’t trigger this response) Spores protect bacteria from things like the vacuum of space and rubbing alcohol. It’s not the same but in my mind the protective shell is like sunscreen it protects from the UV for a while but you can still get a sun burn. So the UV will kill it but it takes a bit longer. Also there is strength in numbers. Shining UV at a smear or dollop of bacteria will only kill the bacteria on the surface layers. The mess has to be cleaned then hit with the appropriate dose of UV for the appropriate amount of time. There is a fancy robot of sorts that is wheeled into rooms of a hospital like the OR, it maps and measures the room and determines the length of time it needs to bombard the room with massive amounts of UV to sterilize the “Clean” room. Another simple concept that is way more complex in real world use. There is a lot of debate about how effective devices like this are alone as they are advertised. My hospital system is experimenting with one of these towering robots at an undisclosed location. Not the hospital I’m working at as I’m really curious about it.

Xenex or Tru-D unit? Sounds like a Tru-D one.
Our hospital here has been using xenex units in ICU rooms and elsewhere for a few years.

I think that the led that Hank sells is still the same, I did a review on it last year:

Oh, oops. I wasn’t talking about that one… I was responding to someone else’s post which appears to be gone now. Maybe it got removed for being spam? It linked to a cheap barely-UV light on eBay and made claims about how great it was for finding urine stains.

Rumor is that it is the Tru-D.

Oh, that was you? Huh. I remembered wrong. I was thinking the link was from someone with only one post, and often times when someone links a product in their first post it’s because they’re only here to advertise.

In any case, the ebay listing says several things which can’t be true, and the price is suspiciously low… so I was wondering what kind of emitter was in it.

For starters, I’m pretty sure Cree doesn’t make any UV emitters, and UV light isn’t measured in lumens. Additionally, a WF501B host by itself costs $5.52 at fasttech, so the ~$6.70 product price leaves only $1.18 or so for the emitter and driver… and most decent UV LEDs cost $15 just for the emitter. It doesn’t add up. So, I assume the product is extremely poor quality.

It’s probably the same one gearbest is selling for ~$7.
http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_96075.html

Here’s one like Simon was selling.
Convoy S2 365nm UV Single/3/7 Modes SMO Reflector LED Flashlight