Anybody ever used non-lethal shotgun ammo?

Here is a link with some good info, including on rubber bullets. Non-Lethal Bear Managment Tools - BearSmart.com

As far as an electric fence you might not need an entire fence but just some copper/wire contraption to lay on the cans, as long as the bear has to touch it to get to the inside, then it should suffice.

I think the average bear problem might be solved by just making it unpleasant or more trouble than it’s worth, that’s why using several of the minor and cheap annoyances at the same time might make it move on.

Rubber Buckshot 21 Ball - (5-Pack Box) $15.95

Links to various sellers

^ Rubber Buckshot… Great idea. Might even be better than Rock Salt, because it would inflict immediate impact pain…probably more so than Rock Salt.

Both would have the effect of pain associated with a loud noise. A win - win.

Heck, mix them for max benefit… :smiley:

Both have loud noise
Rubber Buckshot/ MAX Pain
Rock Salt / Pain & Long term burn

Yeah, I think that’s a good idea. I know I can’t find it locally but maybe in Spokane. The night I started this thread, he showed up and tipped the garbage over again and ran off with the bag, so I gathered it back up and moved the can to a secure shed. He showed up a few minutes later and was looking for the garbage can. I fired a shotgun blast over his head and he ran off but was back within 10 minutes and standing on the back porch. I walked to the back door and he was looking at me from 2 feet away when I rattled the door knob and he then grudgingly trotted around the corner of the house. Haven’t seen him since but no doubt he’ll be back. It’s a holiday weekend now but tomorrow I’ll call Fish & Wildlife and see if they relocate problem bears. I’m kinda pessimistic about the chances that I’ll get anything more than bureaucratic bullshit but we’ll see.

Until you resolve this bear issue, you should at least warn the door to door salesmen and the girl scout cookie sellers.

These rounds are pretty non-lethal