Anybody Have One of These? Any other inexpensive recommendations?

yes looks like an xpe but not sure if its real. The one mine came with had a really blue hue. Does yours have the same? Also check the tailcap amps. is it 0.5 A? lol thats just way too low.

CREE XP-E does not have those 3 square parts inside the dome in a green color, that is for sure. Also there are 3 wires inside of a XP-E LED, one that goes outside the emitting die, this one has only 2. So no, it is some clone.

It does seem very blue, matg? Not sure, though. Got about 0.8A, up to 0.84 or so, 3 mode, 100–25-blinky. 17mm driver.

Pill is kinda like SK68, unscrews. It doesn’t look like there’s a lot of room for heat management.

I kinda like it, if it turns out to be a real xpe, I’d get a couple more. Kind of like the sk68, but 18650. Cheap, too.

Here’s the driver size, photo my copyright :

Oh, ok, bummer. :frowning: Thanks for the info, though. They do have some sort of squares, but like you said, no 3rd wire. Found an XP-E & XP-G photo on this thread.

There are other details of which I have not mentioned like the anode and cathode plates on the side under the green color are not brown like the original XP-E, nor do I see the + cutout, wires are coming from the "dot" side which of course it is the other way around on the CREE XP-E

Fake.

Thanks again for the info. Sorry, I don’t know much about this, but learning. + cutout is the + shape in the middle of what looks like the metal strip on the right hand side of the XP-E? And the dot on the upper right hand corner has significance?

To me it looks like the real one is sitting on metal and the fake isn’t. Although I suppose both are, but the fake looks, not surprisingly, cheaper, and less metal

The LED is fake, the wires are coming from the wrong side, it's plain absurd to even detail more about it, the dot is too small, the "metal plates" do not even surround the dome in the fashion the CREE XP-E has them, etc.

Here’s a beamshot at wide:

It projects the led at a distance zoomed all the way out.

For $3 I’ll probably carry it as a backup sometimes. I’d rather carry a light than just a spare battery. Not a bad way to carry an extra battery imo

Good thinking in regards to battery carrier :D!

OK, I got my yellowish SkyWolfEye zoomie. Feels so lightweight I wonder if I could crush it in my hands …

Wanted to make more cheap safe lights to give away, using this as an experiment figuring if I get the parts right, I can use them in “last year’s 18650 flashlights” and give them away with safe batteries and chargers to people.

I put in a mtnelectronics 1-2AA driver and an old amber XKE, using a 4/3AF NiMH cell — and it’s fine. Also works fine, and much brighter, using a LiFePO4 cell (3.0v)

Using the NiMH, the flashlight has been lit up 36 hours, hasn’t gotten hot, and still producing plenty of useful light (for emergency/earthquake/power failure purposes).
Pretty amazing. Now this is all about the driver and emitter, obviously. just using the SkyWolfEye cheapie as a dirt cheap testbed for the parts.

Just noticed SkyWolfEye also has what looks like a cheap copy of the SK58 (5 not 6):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-XM-L-T6-1000-Lumen-Torch-Tactical-Zoom-Flashlight-Torch-Light-AA-14500-SM/302003045530

CREE XM-L T6 1000 Lumen Torch Tactical Zoom Flashlight Torch Light AA/14500 SM

Definitely not a Cree of course, one picture looks like a typical led clone. I’ve started thinking of them as “lettucebite” emitters.

Looks like the typical SK58-68 pill is there in that image
the other picture looks like it has one of those cheap round emitters with 2 tabs.

Cheap, though.

Did you mean XR-E? Or it’s something else completely? Amber is just for the test purpose or will be target solution? If the latter - have you seen latest PC-amber LEDs from CREE and Lumileds? Those are phosphor based just like white LEDs (PC stands from Phosphor Converted) and are much more efficient than direct amber, also the light spectrum is much wider which is an advantage in a flashlight.

typo, I meant XP-E, the version before the XP-E2
I’m just using up older amber emitters with these dirt cheap lightweight lights…
Choosing amber for nighttime use to avoid interfering with sleep cycles (“white” light at night is a problem some people, especially babies and older folks)

On better hosts I use the Luxeon PC Rebel or PC-Amber, and higher power

I’ve been considering PC-amber LEDs myself for precisely the reasons you outlined.
hank, could you please share your personal impression how normal amber leds (i.e. aforementioned XP-E) compare with PC-amber ones? I’m yet to find a PC-amber LEDs source at reasonable price where I live and it seems that pc-amber version in smaller package/power (for direct swap with white 3528/5050/5630) does not exist.

Regular amber is fine. XP-E is older, still widely available. XP-E2 amber is what I buy now, mostly, though I’ve used some of the the PC Amber luxeons and recently the Cree PC amber emitters.

I know the smaller packages are available, but not sure where to find them. I recently got a “MrBeams” 3xAA motion sensor night light that uses a little flat rectangular amber emitter.

’oogled "PC amber" spectrum - Google Search

and I see this:
[PDF]PLCC 3528 1W PC Amber Series Datasheet
http://www.edison-opto.com/files/doc/2014042513565456.pdf

and this:

http://www.semileds.com/20150303.htm

and the streetlight manufacturers are, in some instances, starting to listen to the biologists, medical people, and astronomers about the bad effects of white light at night

I expect the PC amber are coming along for efficiency and direct swappability into standard power supplies, even though they do leak some blue spectrum light
https://twitter.com/flagdarkskies/status/589191294984986624

For practical flashlight use the regular non-PC amber is fine, just a bit lower voltage to pay attention to.

I also found it easy to kill the old XPE amber with heat while soldering nearby, had a bond wire come loose (looked at under a microscope later), but that may just be me.

Thats a cool one. Nice choice.

Oh, I meant XP-E (cheap from fasttech bought a while back0
nowadays i’d use an XP-E2 or, yes, the PC-Amber, both from MtnElectronics.

https://www.google.com/search?q="PC+Amber"+spectrum

The PC type is ok but does leak some emission in wavelengths shorter than around 500nm, which I prefer to avoid for late night use, so I can get back to sleep easily.
Your experience will vary, sleep is much better consolidated for young adults, and rather worse for infants and old people.

Interestingly, I just read that dogs respond only to light in the blue and yellow range; I’d noticed my dogs got around better with amber than with red light at night.

Just got a silver one, the body color is really nice, I was surprised. Works well for a lot of what I use it for. Off brand emitter, but Xpg2’s are cheap. Mine needed a button top.

Similar to the 68’S in function, for me. Plus they’re small and take an 18650. Cheaper than dirt too