Anyone done anything interesting with DX's/DXsoul's AK-007 driver?

Hi,

I’ve used DX/DXsoul’s AK-007 driver in several of my Hubsby XP-1/XP-2 lights. This driver:

http://www.dx.com/p/ak-007-0-8-1-5v-3-mode-circuit-board-for-flashlights-11-9mm-50526#.Vol18_lunIU

There’s a comment in a review on the latter page, that got me curious:

So, I started looking around for info about possibly modding this driver and among other info found this thread:

which seemed to identify the driver as using a PAM2803 IC, and which also mentions the sense resistor:

That then lead me back to this BLF thread:

So has anyone worked with/hacked this driver?

I’ve been doing some ATtiny programming, so I’d really like to be able to program my own modes. In the past, I posted about swapping an ATtiny onto an EAST-092 driver, i.e., replacing the non-ATtiny driver with an ATtiny driver, so if this doesn’t already use an ATtiny, I’m wondering if it’d be possible to do something similar, i.e., replace the MCU with an ATtiny, and then program it with my desired modes?

Anyone?

Thanks,
Jim

EDIT: Some pics of the driver:

The top board. The (presumably) MCU is erased (no markings).

Showing the two boards from the side:

Fun project! I have one and would like to try this as well. The current tiny10 1x 7135 oshpark board will probably work for now since it has all the necessary pads and vias. I also have a couple of the $2.58 cheapo XP lights on the way to compare boost designs. First thing necessary is to sample output stock and then separate the boards.