Anyone know about Garage Door Springs? Fixed!

Common sense in practice, your a smart man!

Other than that oversight, I think they did a good job installing the door. It’s been trouble free for 16 years. That said, I thank you for pointing it out. It will be corrected when I install the new springs hopefully tomorrow.

Job Done. Came out perfect, except…

I gashed my arm on the sharp edge of one of the supports

RIP old springs….lol

Thanks guys for all your input. Greatly appreciated!

Nice job. Only one gash, I’d call that a success. :slight_smile:

Coming from you, I take that in high regard. Thanks buddy :slight_smile: BTW. The gash is no longer bleeding. I’m on the mend, and the garage door is working like new. It’s a good day here on Long Island, NY

My brother and I usually just go ahead and get out our pocketknives and create a little gash to appease the blood gods, and then go ahead with whatever project we are on, whether it’s home DIY, car repair, or flashlight modding. In over 30 years of this tradition we have almost never had to give up any more blood after the initial offering. Not kidding!

atbglenn, the genie excellerator is the same unit I have installed now. IIRC it is the one that opens SUPERFAST !! I had to cut a resistor in my circuit board to slow it down *to normal speed *as I have the wind up springs on a 16 foot heavy door and it was torquing them like crazy. Caused premature spring breakage.

I’ve always done my own installs and Installers have advised me to slow it down. That was years ago and all is going well so far. That stretch MAY have been hastened by the rapid opening and slacking. Something to consider…maybe not. But in my case it seems to have made a huge difference in spring life.

Congratulations on a “honey-do” well done!

All that’s left to do is extend your remaining good arm straight up, bend at the elbow and give yourself a well-deserved pat on the back!

PS: They sell H2O2 in Spray Bottles at the local drug store… That works wonders to clear out the gunk in your gash, plus it sterilizes it from all those nasty Long Island superbugs! Don’t ask me how I know that!

:slight_smile: Dim

And carmantl…

Remind me to give you a full TSA body-cavity search before we work on any projects together!!

Y’all TN boys are Hard Core!

How recent is your tetanus booster? Congrats aren’t necessary, you had it all the way. :beer:

I believe the most impressive thing is that you posted the issue on 5/30 and actually replaced the springs on 5/31. By the time my dad and I would have looked at it several times, 20 calls to Lowes, Home Depot, WalMarts, etc. then 5 reminders from my wife I would have eventually had the local overhead door business replace it around October. Nice job!

Great Job!!! A little duct tape on that gash, and you are good as new :smiley:

It’s been about 5 years since the last time I had one. I’ll call my doctor tomorrow to see if I need one. So far it seems to be healing ok

I was thinking about putting it off for a few days. Knowing me, a few days could have turned into a few weeks, then a year…lol. Glad I did it today. Now I don’t have to worry about it snapping at the worst possible moment and possibly doing damage to the door components, or the opener.

Anyway guys. Thanks for the positive comments. I appreciate it :slight_smile:

I have this picture of glenn hanging from the spring by the scruff of his neck …and his mom running the door up and down .
if you have any problems with the remote have TOM E come over and mod it maybe make the light put out 3 or 4 thousand lumens …
or how about a bistro remote . that closes the door really slowly …or fast as hell

Tom could use Narsil to control the speed of the door to Glen’s liking while he’s swinging of it. :wink:

The final video. Unfortunately, It’s a bit shaky. I never said I was a pro.

Wow. Calling Bellevue hospital right now. I’m sure they can help! lol!

Do you have many manually operated garage door’s in the US, all the one’s I see on the tv are electric? :wink:

Another question regarding the used springs, do you have somewhere to take thing’s like that where they can be recycled?

Our local council in the UK has a facility where you can recycle metal, plastics, timber etc.