Anyone know about Garage Door Springs? Fixed!

We don’t recycle metal in my town, just paper and bottles. I’d say on average, most people have electric garage door openers. My neighbor across the street doesn’t have one. But then again, he doesn’t use his for his car. It’s loaded with crap. You cant even walk through it. I’d say it’s a fire hazard.

BTW, the springs I bought are made by Stanley in the USA. They were $20 each, but the owner of the local hardware store gave me 10% off because he knew my dad, who also owned a hardware store from 1955 to 1983. I was originally going to get them from Home Depot, but I thought it would be better to support a locally owned business instead.

I posted a video which shows how fast mine opens. Doesn’t seem faster than normal. But then again, it’s not something I paid much attention to. Maybe the guy that installed it did something with the programming. I’ll have to look at the manual to see if it is indeed adjustable. All I know is it was the top of the line Genie around 2000. It doeas say Excellerator on it. Comes with a lifetime warranty.

16 years on a Genie, that’s awesome luck based on my experience.

I’ve replaced 3 Genies, including the Excellerator, over 20 years. I’ve replaced two boards in the Excellerator and that did
not revive it; fortunately I’d ordered the boards from a vendor that will give full refunds if problem isn’t resolved.
I’ve given up on Genies and now on the Chamberlain. Let’s see how long it lasts…

Your garage door looks like a single car door and the garage is detached from your house. Mine is a double and attached and
since we park inside, that’s our main entrance/exit to the house so it’s used several dozens of times a day on average.

That may be the difference… or the same depending on how one looks at it…

Yeh, saw the video and it does open FAST! Maybe not so bad with a lighter weight door like yours but in my case mine is HEAVY (has cedar siding on it) and also has 3 wind up springs.

Anyways, here’s the diagram that shows how to slow it down if you should ever need to. The info is not in the users manual. I had to call Genie and they told me over phone how to do it. Then I found diagram online. It would appear your door opens fast then closes slow. If you make the adjustment your door will open the same speed as it closes. As light as your door is, probably fast opening doesn’t bother it. Cheers :beer:

Thanks Streamer. I think I’ll leave it the way it is. At least I know how to do it now.

buy some new rollers and your door won’t make the click-click-click noise when it moves.

excellerators are a crapshoot. some are fine.

My Genie has been trouble free for 16 years. If it needs replacement in the future, I’ll get a Chamberlain Whisper Drive 1/2 HP Belt Drive Garage Door Opener. As far as the rollers, they seem to be ok. Not sure what makes that noise. Maybe it’s the worm drive? I’ll investigate. I do lube it once a year…

the rollers have junk in the bearing or the little ball bearings aren’t quite round anymore. It just makes noise. You don’t need to put anything on that screw, it has a teflon looking liner around the screw. Lubing it just makes a mess.

You might be right. I’ll remove one or two and spin them. I’ll replace them all if one makes noise. Thanks for your input. I do appreciate it. Oh yeah, the lube I use is superlube in very small amounts. It hasn’t made a mess in all the years I’ve been using it. I do occasionally wipe down the track with WD40 to keep things clean.