Anyone unimpressed by the ET SX25L3 MT-G2?

I got one today and strangely enough wasn’t too impressed. Compared to my TX25C2 it is only brighter when it’s on the highest level, which makes sense, but it seems like only a small bit brighter. 2400 lumens vs. 1000 for the TX should be quite a bump, right?

The much more diffuse beam pattern and neutral tint are nice but really don’t help it look much brighter than the TX.

Weightwise, it seems like a real CHUNK… ‘fueled up’ weight is 451g vs. 139g for the little TX, when used for walking it’s a lot more work to carry…it just seems like it should be stunningly more powerful for all that weight but I’m just not feelin’ it.

I really expected to LOVE this thing…the UI is MUCH better with a lower low, higher high and one more step in between. It’s just that it’s really awkward to carry, no clip, much bigger and 312g heavier for a slight bump in brightness…it may very well go back to Amazon. :~

Please share your thoughts and opinions about this groundbreaking light…thanks!

the light does pump out 2400 Fenix lumens on max, 1sec after activation, and the TX pumps out 1000 Fenix lumens on max, 1sec after activation. TX has a focused white beam with impressive throw, the SX is a sunlight flood monster. TX is impressive because it's so small and beautiful, SX has a similar UI and is basically a light from the same family/series imo.

personally, i *am* impressed by both of them. all other 2400 lumens lights from a premium label are much more costly.

i've been using my TM15 more often because i got already a holder, e.g. for direct horizontal deployment, and a flip-up diffuser:

I had the exact same reaction when I compared my SC600II to my SC52, disappointed.
But your post makes me want the TX25C2 even more now if it can hold its own against an MTG2

There’s no doubt the SX is brighter, it just isn’t ‘enough’ brighter to warrant the weight and expense. If the beam was more focused it would, no doubt, be a screamer. A good dedoming ‘might’ be just the thing here but I’ll wait for someone else to tread those waters.

Also, I was fully prepared to fall in love with the tint…didn’t happen. The TX is cool white, which is nice for impressing folks and maybe one’s self. There IS a Convoy S5 with an XML2 5C1 in my life that I have grown to love as well, for its warm, chewy goodness.

That’s always the problem with judging by eye and big lumen numbers, if you use a king and go from high to mid there is 2000lm vs.1000lm with same beam pattern and it is still bright…especially if you don’t shine far while testing…
And if the lower output light is more focused it even improves this effect.

Same happens with a standard XML light with 700lm compared to a modded one with 1000lm, if you don’t compare them side by side it is hard to judge…

For normal people it makes even less sense as they think their crappy 120lm light is bright like the sun. And if we are honest they are right as all generations before us have supervised with lights <50lm.

Of course this makes me wonder about the XML2 version with its 53,900cd….actually, this was the model I got excited about before catching a dose of MTG2-mania. It’s still dern heavy and my A60 gets pretty close to that throw figure for…what was it, oh yeah…$12! {8^0)

interesting…. i was wondering what people would think of this light…

i love my solarforce s2200… the eagtac mtg2 must have performance in the same realm as the solarforce i would think right?

yes any 3x 18650 light is heavy :slight_smile:

and yes, the little tx is one mean brute!! i love it

For me it’s all about size and weight vs. brightness and the TX is hard to beat in that regard. Another favorite of mine is an Olight i3S w/10440. Gets amazingly bright and throws ok too, for a tiny little thing you can stick on your ball cap and forget it’s there. I carry an Eneloop and an Efest 10440…it covers everything from moonlight to about 250 lumens!

I guess my next step up from the TX will have to be about 4000 lumens and still be light and small…what would do THAT?!

Sounds like you are looking for something that would "overheat" fast, and have fairly short runtime.. :D

A highly modified hotrod of a flashlight! :)

You're comparing two completely different flashlights. One is a thrower, the other is a flood light. A focused light will always appear to be much brighter.

The only way I find to gauge "brightness" in a semi objective manner, is to bounce off the ceiling, and look around at how things are lit up, but never at the hotspot itself. The SX25L3 appears a lot brighter on turbo, it's not even close.

Purely based on specs, the SX25L3 MT-G2 isn't that impressive though. This should be apparent from the reviews... ~28000kcd, 2400 OTF lumens. You can get that from lots and lots of lights.

You can grab a BS Terminator for under $100, and it will do better in terms of throw, and output. The problem is you'll have crappier tint, lower CRI, and nowhere as nice of a clean artifact free beam.

For me, I felt the quality, and novelty of it was what justified the price tag. Not so much the numbers. I'm currently waiting to get mine back from being dedomed, and boosted on High. I'm hoping this will work to add a lot more throw.

THAT, sir, sounds like a good idea! Please let us know how you like it. Is Vinh doing the work?

Yup, I've been subtly hinting to him to get it done already. His usual ridiculously fast turn around times spoiled me.

I have two dedomed MTG2 lights on hand now... the Old Lumens EA8, and the Niwalker.

Basically, dedomed MTG2 LED ends up being just a tad bigger than a stock, domed, XML led. So you get lots more throw, and 2000 lumens+. My hope for the Eeagletac is that with the copper, and current boost, it will produce 2700-3000 lumens, so a bit higher than stock, but LOTS more throw, I'm hoping to the ~45-55kcd range, based on previous experiences.

Man, that sounds like JUST what this light needs! I’ve heard some people saying their MTG2’s went COOLer in tint with a dedome…strange…what does Vinh say about that??

He doesn't actually dedome them. What he does is slice the done off, leaving a very thin layer on there. So the tint remains basically the same.

On my own dedome, it did get cooler, but that's because so much phosphor came off with the dome.

Wow, very interesting! Report back after you get yours…looks like he’s busy with a LOT of other stuff right now. :money_mouth_face:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?372008-WTS-Eye40vn-Ultra-Compact-High-Lumen-5200L-6400L

You might want to grab one for the "wow" factor... should be a noticeable difference vs a skyray king.

Been following that, glad he finally admitted it was the Eye40. THAT should be a noticeable difference, and it looks like it throws ok too!

Actually I doubt it will throw all that well. I expect in the 70-80kcd at most. Should be a monster though.

That’s pretty daggone good compared to 28k… :wink:

Stock it's 38000kcd at 3000 lumens.

So 70 is probably a bit optimistic, but I can see the niteye reaching 60 at 6400LED lumens.