Anyone unimpressed by the ET SX25L3 MT-G2?

The LED was very very slightly off center originally. I mean you have to be the kind of person that examines their lights under a magnifying glass to really take note of it, but similar to what was said above, it seemed like it was pushing side of the reflector a bit, stock.

After it came back from Vinh, it's better centered than it was.

Hard to quantify the throw, but the beam profile is now completely different. Removing the dome, reduce the emitter size a great deal, basically to a bit greater size than a domed xml led.

My guess is given the lumen boost, and that the xml2 version is 54kcd at 1500 lumens, the dedomed mtg2 with ~3000 lumens is at 60kcd or a bit higher.

The MTG2 produces a completely different beam with the dome off.

Btw, on turbo, I'd say my run time is limited go about 2 minutes before the light gets uncomfortably hot... it's VERY bright, slightly brighter than my Vinh modded Niwalker MTG2, if judging by ceiling bounce.

So it sounds like the beam pattern is getting nearer to a typical XML thrower, but not quite as extreme…does that sound right?

Just to update…I sent the SX25L3 back to Amazon. After being initially unimpressed, the light really grew on me, becoming one of my most used lights. The ‘wall of daylight’ comes in handy for scaring unwanted predators away from my outdoor kitties, keeping my girlfriend from being scared during our night walks, impressing friends, blinding door-to-door salemen, etc.

Why did I send it back? . . . Eagletac came out with the MX25L3 ! ! !

Wall of light is right. I was laughing when I took it out on the trail and found that I could light up the lower switchback by pointing my light the other way. I see a lot of MT-G2 in my future.

SRK only has a single button control system. It's hard to be courteous to other night hikers when you have to blind them with full power before switching to a lower mode. There's also the ability to instantly have momentary turbo from any mode, and also momentary on in the current mode from off, but of which I've already found useful. The control system is what's really being paid for. The ability to go up or down immediately is why I was willing to pay so much more for it, and is the driving factor in my next two lights. (Jetbeam RRT01 & Trustfire TR-S700) There also seems to be a consensus that the SRK handles heat poorly.

Leaftye, the RRT01 is a near perfect EDC to me…only downside, it eats batteries prodigiously, even 18350’s.

I've had that concern. I don't think there's anything similar that uses an 18650, or I'd probably get that. I think it'll be okay for an EDC, but I doubt I'll take it hiking much except to get some experience with it when it first arrives. Someone should build an extension tube for it.

I'll still get it because I really want a light with a fantastic low and a control ring. IS's current sale price is looking good. Not as good as FT's pre-MAP price, but at least I won't have to wait a month to get it.

jmpaul - the S2200 is a completely animal from the ET SX25L3. It has a much larger (diameter) and deeper reflector, making much more throwy than the SX25.

It is also larger overall than the SX in every way. ET’s latest aplication of the MT-G2 is the M series “shorties” which takes the SX body with a larger reflector with 45kcd center lux.

You should tell us about your Solarforce, as it ia a new and very interesting torch!b

I meant to say “…completely different animal…”

Tallboy- TX center lux is 20kcd and the SX25 center lux is 28kcd. The SX with the MTG2 was designed as a flooder and this fools the eye appearing just about the same power as a thrower with less than half the lumens. Lumens are spread over a very wide diameter - but you already know this.

My SX25A3 (3 x AA) has 920 true lumens in turbo mode with 20kcd.

You should try out the nitecore SRT5. Uses 18650, has a magnetic control ring. Also has useless red/blue led's but that's really the only downside.

It doesn't appear to get nearly as low at the RRT01, but it still looks pretty good. I might get one if IS does another sale. They probably will now too. I was thinking the same thing last week about the RRT01, and this week it's on sale. It's like they know just how to empty my wallet.

The SRT3, has a lower low, but personally I prefer the srt5 to be able to use 18650's.

I've also been on the IS site many times... kind of tempted by the rrt01.

You know their code this month knocks off 30% from the RRT01? Plus they started stocking a few small IMR battery types.

There is no way to get a lower low than the RRT01 and still be ‘on’. :wink:

Any other time I would be all over that sale, but I'm a bit overextended at the moment :(

Also I don't imagine I would carry it, even if I did get it. Runtime on a single 16340 just isn't that great.

Yes, I do already know that. :wink:

Do you mean your GX25A3? It was tested at 28,800cd.

Runtime is horrible with 16340. It takes 18350s and it’s still pretty bad. It gets really hot too…but I just cain’t quit it, that magnetic ring is too good!!

Okay, you guys keep talking about battery life. Are you saying it's especially inefficient with a 16340, or that a 16340 doesn't provide enough battery life for you?

Just saying it isn’t very efficient with the juice. Runtimes on my Olight S10 w/16340 are w-a-y longer than RRT01 on 18350. I was surprised at first because I hadn’t heard anyone mention that. Thought I’d give you a heads-up. I still love mine!