Anyone use a portable car jump starter?

They work, if you need them often, great. If not, its a waste of time. I have a second car, and easy access to plenty of battery retailers if needed. I also have a good charger if its a case of something being left on to drain it overnight etc. I have mates with them, and they need to be put on charge more often than being ready when needed so Id prefer to just charge the battery a bit, my charger has a start function too anyway. Alternatively, Id just grab a cheap battery and leave it on the charger/maintainer and jump from that.

Apart from that, Id be wondering why the battery is flat and rectify it. Then again I dont live where it gets frigid cold either, maybe that makes a difference.

If with no boost circuit then it is 4s at 3.4v

Using lifepo4 which has the highest peak current

I think'? Compared to icr and imr. Sla batteries need a

Floating voltage from 13-14v so lifepo4 is a better candidate.

I just bought a jump starter power bank from RadioShack. It’s compact but really save my frozen battery, for my 2014 Odyssey

Yeah, they do work, in much the same way as getting a boost from someone works. I don’t think you’re starting the engine from the power bank alone, or even very much of it. The wires just aren’t thick enough to take the kind of current needed to start an engine (hundreds of amps). What the power bank does is give your main car battery a surface charge from which the engine is able to use to turn over.

You’d need some 4-gauge wires from the power bank if you wanted to use it to start directly. And, the power bank’s internal battery would have to be able to provide hundreds of amps.

Nope.

If those things can start a 5 liter V8, they can start everything a normal person drives.

I have one I got from Amazon for about $50. It has saved my butt many times because my battery was slowly failing and if I listened to the radio at lunch w/o the motor on it wouldn’t start at the end of the workday. Had it checked several places. No, it’s fine. Finally , I couldn’t start it with the little kit and had a difficult time jumo starting from a large truck. New battery - no further problems. So, while not the best construction, it paid for itself many times over.

2l. diesel car :stuck_out_tongue:
I used to jump start a 14l. (855 ci.) diesel truck with my El Camino (car).
In the tests I’ve seen they will start a 6l. diesel pickup with no problem.
I used to drive a KT 450 Pete (1150 ci./ 19 l.) but I luckily never had to try to jump it.

The use these things now for roadside assistance. There are essentially two sizes usually available and the larger does start light diesel.

I have a Lion unit and love it. I have jumpstarted 3 and 4 cylinder diesels and several gas engines including my ’09 Expedition with a 5.4 V8.

I don’t doubt there is possibly some boosters that could stand-alone jump-start a car. I just don’t think you’re going to find one at a reasonable price. Almost all are meant to work with your internal car battery.

My standard lead-acid car battery gives 500 cold-cranking-amps at –18C, and 800 at 0C. Can a booster provide that kind of current, or even half that much? I need pretty-much all those 500 amps to start on a cold winter day.

You’d need a lot of lithium-ion cells in parallel to deliver 500 amps at about 11v (allowing for voltage sag). And you need some very thick connectors to deliver all that current.

Would 702 Amps be enough?

:slight_smile:

But I agree for the cables, but that’s doable.

I just returned the 5 in 1 posted above back to harbor freight. Read the reviews, the older ones are ok but this new batch has a charging problem. So disappointing.

I want to buy jump starter for my Ford Focus. I found review about jump starters Best Portable Car Jump Starters [Review & Buying Guide] 2023 and I am not shore? is it real review or fake. I think Stanley 500 Amp is a good jump starter for me. Can anybody help me to find best jump starter for my car?

I am currently using micro start xp10 and I have to say it is a good one. I use it for my van and motorcycle.

Oldy but goody, I have this one, Booster PAC ES5000 1500 Peak Amp 12V Jump Starter, to jump my motorcycles, car, and truck (dodge Ram 2500). This is a monster batttery and starts anything I have tried it on effortlessly. It appears to be the one a lot of AAA trucks use. I believe the battery to be lead acid.

I just picked up this DieHard charger for my dad for Christmas. He drives and old truck and needs one. It’s currently on sale for $59.99 and has USB charging ports and a flashlight. I should try putting an XHP70 in it for him.
http://www.sears.com/diehard-lithium-ion-jump-starter/p-02843448000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

Definitely that one is powerful but I needed something smaller :slight_smile:

If you have time, check out this 2 part video on portable car starters. It’s very long , but this guy knows his stuff. and he goes into great detail.

Edit: for some reason I can’t find part 2. I did see it a while back but now it’s gone.

I have this one and it starts my 2.5ltr Diesel Landrover no problem. Anker are a good make although when I took it apart it clearly is made for them by another company!

YouTube link

Thanks Jeansy. I have several Anker products and I’m 100% pleased with them. While your unit is made by another company, I’m sure it meets Anker’s standards. At leasth I hope it does. Is that you reviewing it?