APEX 5T6 5xCREE XM-L T6 4x18650 3000-Lumen 3-Mode LED Flashlight----Upgraded version from SolarStorm

I used 4 x NCR18650's, they are the only cells that I have 4 of. I unfortunately don't have 4 x IMR's otherwise I'd give that a shot.

Can't recall the TM11 but the Sunwayman T60CS measured about 2500+. I'll run some add'l testing but need to get some other reviews up first, hope to have this one done by end of next week.

Cheers,
Tim

Tim, what is the output after the initial sag? Immediate output when first turned on in just fluff. What is the real output after a few minutes?

The Apex and Skyray KING both spank the TM-11.

Gotta run out for errands but here's an abbreviated run (w/fan):

Indoor shots @ 5m, for comparo vs. many other lights, hit up the links in my sig.

High

Med

Low

Some key points taken from my review of this light here:
https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/9569

Tailcap current through switch
5.3A - HI
1.95A - MED
.36A - LO

With my 2.3 Ah (tested) CGR18650E cells that equates to:
1.74 Hours – HI
4.71 Hours – Med
25.6 Hours – Lo
-Note these current measurements are shared across 4 parallel 18650, so each cell on only “sees” 1.33A on HI. This is an extremely efficient application of power. 1.33A is also a very easy load that any 18650 cell can handle. To put it into perspective, the TR-J12 starts out drawing ~3.6A from each cell in 2-cell configuration, but the current draw increases to ~6.5-7A (!!) as the battery voltage drops. Nearly identical Lumen outputs, one design severely tax-ing its cells, the other doesn’t even break a sweat.

FIXED exposure + White balance beamshots.

TR-J12

5T6 (notice warmer tint color, I got lucky on the tint lottery)

TR-J12

5T6

Now that’s a floody light if it can make the TR-J12 look like a thrower.

yeah the Apex is definitely a FLOOD-monster. You can see it in the second set of beamshots. Notice how the 5T6 sidewalk infront of me is lit very bright, and the grass + plants on the sides also appear brighter. While the trees behind the concrete post are maybe a little dimmer compared to the J12. I spent a lot of time making sure the aim is centered on both lights, targeting the beige concrete post. The bright spot on the concrete from the Apex shot is not the hot spot, its the close range flood-light spilling onto the ground. Technically there really is no center hot spot this far out on the Apex, it just opens out to a wall of flood.

The first set of beamshots, you can see the closest tree on the left is slightly brighter with the Apex.

I haven’t crunched the numbers, but this is one of my top 2-3 most efficient lights from a Lumens-per-watt standpoint. The Cree XML is a serious efficiency monster when under-driven.

Unfortunately my light came today DOA. I’m writing the company today.

Welcome to the madness, swhit!

Afternoon everyone.

I’m wanting to buy a good self defense / general purpose light and was thinking of getting this one….then I found this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270992834730?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&\_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_1282wt_1399

Is 7000 lumens possible with this light? I don’t need a long duration, maybe a half hour at full power (if that long).
Usually it will be just for checking out unusual noises outside, blinding a intruder if needed etc.
I like the compact design and especially the handle.

Anyway, from reading a little on here, I understand some “upgrades” are available for this light. Without getting too technical,
could some of the members please give me some help with understanding the preferred upgrades to purchase and expected total
costs before I make a final decision.

I’m trying to keep the price under ~$125.00, but I’m willing to spend a little more if needed since it’s a one time purchase.
If you know of any others I should consider, please let me know.

Great forum and very informed members. Glad I found it.
Thanks in advance.

Its a beast +2000 Lumens…Its certainly not 7000 per the Ebay seller. Im sure others can chime in and confirm.

Have a nice time here, Steve Wills!

!a href=“Photo Storage target=“_blank”>!

Some food for thought

NO. with todays LED efficiencies and thermal properties 7000 Lumens is not possible in designs this lightweight. There needs to be a LOT of copper (or gold / silver) heatsinking mass, and probably even additional forced air cooling directly beneath the LEDs. It will just overheat and die an early death.

Welcome to BLF too btw.

Thanks Kramer, that’s what I thought too. But being new to these hybrids, LED’s and HID’s, and seeing it advertised as 7000 lumens, I figured it was
(ahem) “incorrect” and I should get some good advice before buying.

These lights can be like assembling a finely tuned race car. Do you want performance? Style? Comfort etc. Just pick your pain/price point!
It can get complicated really quick with all the options some offer.

So is this the only (other) version that has a handle, and is “compact” like the Apex? Anything else I should consider?
And, I’ve also learned (from this forum) that different batteries can make a big difference. What would be recommended if so?

Thanks
(nice watch reviews too)

No there are other “soda-can” shaped lights with handles but they are all $$$, and start out in the vicinity of $250-300.
The Apex is the most affordable by far, and its also one of the brightest (lumens not lux).

For cells, Panasonic CGRs are my favorites by far. They may be a little lower on the capacity but they deliver a TON of sag-free current, and have great LSD performance too

Welcome to BLF Steve!

No. I think it's around 1500-1700 lumens, since the linked one is the original SolarStorm (driven up to 1.2A / emitter). Ric sells the upgraded version called APEX, which is proven to be over 2000 lumens OTF (driven up to 1.8A / emitter).

I don't think you need any "upgrades" to this APEX. It's a nice, very bright, floody light - straight from package.

What you still need is four good quality 18650 cells and a charger. My suggestion would be some protected Sanyo / Panasonic cells (with button top - I use XTAR 18700) and Nitecore / Sysmax Intellicharger i4 v2 charger. Those will be around $50 (about $30 for cells and $20 for charger)

Hope this helps.

I’ve got this version. 8.5A on high and I measured it but I got only 6.4A. I use panasonic 3400mah new cels. driver serial no: KS08A-47D-V2 is this 8.5A driver?

I have the 2500 lumen black SRK (from RIC), this doesn’t seem like much of an upgrade…does anyone agree?