Are all MT-G2 lights going to be somewhat floody?

Not that I know of, mine is homebrew. It’s a mag with a 109 led showerhead grafted on top.

(and a very ugly bit of 110mm plastic pipe :~ )

First paragraph addressed specifically to you, the rest applies to the rest of the crowd and the direction the consensus was beginning to veer off into...

This LED is very very picky about reflector positioning. It's easy to get a nice pleasing beam pattern and mistakenly think that's as good as it's going to get.

Ohaya thank you for posting this!

I do find it very interesting. A 2x18350 light is exactly what I was thinking given the requirements of this LED. I don't really follow what goes on LPF, so this was certainly a pleasant surprise.

With the MTG2 lights, having one on hand that I absolutely love (the modded EA8), and having the Crelant 7G10 already, I think i will hold off on any further purchases.

This seems to be an extremely interesting LED, and I think flashlight companies would be crazy not to take advantage of it in a much smaller form factor, instead of trying to sandwich it into the larger "thrower" type light.

Considering that for 99% of the people out there, they only need to light up their immediate surrounding, at a range of under 100 meters the MTG2 is very very promising.

What I would love to see, is a small light, powered by a single 16340/18350/14500 with a magnetic ring to produce an absolutely ridiculous amount of light from a very small package, and yet do it with better throw than the triple or quad 6p type builds we've seen to date.

All that said, I'm now going to sit back, and relax, with the hopes that something suitable to my needs appears by november.

Haven't checked the thread over at The Bad Place but I have one in a L2P with a 4x7135 single mode 105c and two EagleTac 750mAh 16340s. Still working on setting the reflector height, then I'll start checking current/voltage...

If you’re at all interested, I encourage you to just drop over there and at least encourage him (yes, I know it’s “the other” forum).

I both really hope that he comes through (it really looks like he’s very close) and somewhat worry about him (I don’t know him personally), because from following that thread for awhile, he’s gone through a lot to get to this point, and he’s kind of doing it pretty much on his own dime.

He originally put up the thread awhile ago, and has only gotten 3 people to sign up for his pre-order list (including me), which really surprises me, but he still seems to “keep on trucking” with the project anyway. Personally, I’m really amazed, and I think that is laudable.

Maybe not too wise, but definitely laudable!

Ahh. Ok. I misinterpreted a bit… Sorry :(!

this would make an excellent bike light

@Bort - Yup it would, no doubt about it. It's a bit more throwy, though less bright overall than my Apex 5T6.

I will be watching that thread with interest, but I will not be participating just yet. The primary reason being that I do not feel comfortable with the driver being used.

Considering the nature of the light, a temperature based step down is an absolute must. I have not finished reading through everything, but without that option I believe those EDC lights will be somewhat of a bust, requiring rather strict duty cycles on high.

The idea of using IMR 18350 batteries is also not very appealing.

While I'm certainly interested, and really his effort to make these is incredible, I think there are good reasons more people are not pre ordering, and it's not a question of price.

Do you have a link to a place you trust that sells this reflector? I was searching for it one time, but I found the descriptions vague at the sites I visited.

EDIT: Do you have a build thread on your light. It sounds interesting.

I'm still not seeing real measured #'s of throw on any MT-G2 light, accept maybe on Crelant.com for the 7G10: 550 meters, which is 76 kcd to 0.25 lux, and that seems dissapointing for a big reflector designed for it and driven at 3 amps. Also I don't trust manufacturer's # in general - Crelant certainly mis-lead on the original 7G9. Does anyone own a light meter that has a thrower MT-G2 build? Maybe I missed it somewhere, but I followed the hugh TorchLite/MT-G2 thread and can't recall seeing it. The #'s tell the story - it's hard to interpret impressions.

A decent light meter costs less than the emitter .

It it is 76k lux, that’s impressive since the MTG2 is a large die emitter. The 7G9 is 67k lux with a 1020 lumens and a much smaller emitter.

I don’t see it reaching 70k, but I’ve been wrong on occasion.

Ok - that's 76 kcd measured on a stock 7G10? Crelant used to advertise the 7G9 to do over 700 meters, but those #'s I don't believe were ever obtainable. I got a 7G9 but heavily modified, so now it does about 120 kcd and that's 692 meters -- this is after upgrading to 4.2A and an XM-L2 U2 on a SinkPAD.

There is just no way in hell 7G10 is hitting 700 meters.

I really don't think it will hit the 550m they advertise either though.

From their website;

- CREE New MT-G2 LED
- Max output of up to 1860 lumens with an effective range of 550 meters

I just got a light meter, and that MT-G2 custom light I linked. I’m still trying to figure out how to use the light meter, but I can try with those 2 things. Would that be helpful at all? If so, how far from meter to light, and under what conditions (dark room, etc.)?

Also, which light/head would that/those reflectors go into?

Throw measurements are the easiest - I use 4.3 meters because it's the longest distance in my home office I can arrange the meter at. It's also close enough so you don't need someone else to read the measurements. Basically you want as long a distance as possible - doing it at 1 meter won't cut it. Please don't measure at 1 meter - the math is pretty straight forward and going to 3-10 meters for a reading is more accurate and realistic for most lights - a Shocker in theory may need more distance to focus but I've done pretty good with them at 4.3 meters, just spend more time to find the highest reading.

For me the calculations are: 4.31 squared, times the lux meter reading -- answer is in candela units. So, your distance in meters squared, multipled by your meter reading. I put the meter into a 10x mode, specially for the more powerful lights, so I got enough digits/scaling, so lux is the meter displayed value times 10.

Example: meter reads 342 in 10x mode, lux reading is 3420. 4.31 squared is 18.5761, so:

18.5761 x 3420 = 63530, which is 63 kcd (63,000 candela)

Now, to read the meter, you must hunt for the highest value in the beam -- this takes some time because it's not necessarily the dead center of the beam, specially for aspherics. I can usually do this in 10-45 seconds or so, narrowing it down to the highest value part of the beam, and carefully moving it to get the highest value. I try to use at least 10-15 seconds because initially on most lights you get a spike and that # is artifically high. Don't think the NEMA standards call for a specific time delay, like they do for lumens measurements (30 secs).

To convert kcd to distance, according to the NEMA standard you convert it to 1/4 lux (moonlight). So, for 63 kcd:

63000/0.25 = 252,000, take the square root of that you get: 502, so distance is 502 meters.

In my office, I got the meter on a book shelf up about 4.5 feet or so, and put the flashlight against the far wall at a spot around the same height - I measured the distance previously at 4.31 meters.

Fron the equations above, you can see the relationship of kcd to distance - doubling kcd does not double distance, far less in fact because of the square root.

Hi Tom,

We have a basement, with lots of white walls and empty spaces, including a long hallway. I’ll see if there’s a 3+ meter clear line of sight, but if the hallway is the only place, is that a problem, because of the walls being so close?

Also, as I said earlier, the MT-G2 light I got doesn’t seem to be much of a thrower, so, given that, will it be even useful to measure that?

Hhmm - I always do the throw measurements in the dark and in the center of the room, so walls/ceiling I don't believe effects it much, specially since the meter is set back in a shelf. I've gotten very consistent results with rdrfronty.

Oh - just looked at the light on the CPF thread now, can't tell size of the reflector but looks on the small size. Your right - sure not a thrower, but would still be interesting to see the throw #, and also for you, would help you get set up doing throw measurements because one you get it setup and used to it, it's pretty easy. Like that driver - I'm working with it now on a project.

Hi,

Ok, I did the test you suggested, with several of my lights, including the MT-G2 light, with the new lux meter. Not sure if these numbers make sense, but this is what I got (using the BLF ‘table’ function for the 1st time - COOL :)!):

Light LUX Comments
HD2010 239 x10 Tmart, EAST-092, EagTac 3100 mAh
Convoy C8 1114 FastTech, “CJ” laptop pull
Trustfire X6 240 x10 3xEfest IMR 2000 mAh, charged to 4.20V
“From CPF Seller” MT-G2 975 2xEfest IMR 2000 mAh, charged to 4.20V
DST 308 x10 laptop pull

These tests were done in a dark room, and I positioned myself (and the light) in approximately the same place for each test, approximately 10 feet from the meter sensor.

I would start the meter in REC mode, then walk over (in the dark :laughing: to the 10’ mark I had, and then shine the light at the sensor, moving the beam close to the sensor (the meter records the data points and can display the MAX reading during the test). The readings above were the MAX reading for each test.

For the HD2010 and the Convoy C8, I just used them with whatever battery was already in them.

For the Trustfire X6 and the “From CPF Seller” MT-G2, I topped the Efest IMR batteries to 4.20V before each test.

For the test, I used the lux meter’s “Record” function, with default settings (I think 50 data points).

If I’m understanding these numbers, relatively, the X6 had the best throw (2400 lux?), followed closely by the HD2010 (2390 lux), then the Convoy C8 (1114 lux), and lastly, the MT-G2 light?

Again, I caveat this with this being the first time I’ve really used this light meter, so I’m still figuring it out.

Comments?

Jim

P.S. After I tested the X6 light, I measured the Efest battery voltages. They were still at about 4.20V. After I tested the MT-G2 light, when I measured the battery voltages, they were down to ~4.15V.

Edit: Added DST test.

Well, these #'s are lower than expected - the HD2010 comes out to 26.5 kcd, should be in the 40's if you get a 3 amps or above tailcap reading. I'm not sure what the "Record" function is or how it works - mine doesn't have that. It's important those meter readings are the highest you've seen after carefully trying to find the brightest spot.