Are AR lenses overrated?

That’s about 5%.

You’re saying it’s a non glass lens? 8)

That site is selling only 55mm lens max size, i need 90mm +

Also the increase of throw, is only during the lens are new, when they get dirty, and you get to the point like mine are, that 5% advantage is easily gone.

If you don’t see what you are looking for, send em a message, he can custom cut the acrylic lenses.

That’s right Jerommel, acrylic instead of glass. It works very well for me in my HD2010’s, the SupFire M6 with it’s 4900 lumens, and a few others that have oddball sizes not found in the high transmission glass.

I like the idea of the non-glass lens in a working light…it can take a beating, dropping it won’t shatter the lens, even though you do have to pay attention towards not getting it scratched. By now though, it should be second nature to most everyone here to not allow anything to touch the lens.

If you simply never you touch it, you also never clean it. :wink:

AR coatings can be damaged. Won’t look “clean” then.
There are different qualities of AR coatings.

I know, that’s why i think they are overrated. Even Fenix use average quality AR….not high quality, so yea regular glass > AR coating (which is used in flashlight world) imho.

AR coated lenses make a difference for me and I haven’t noticed an issue cleaning them yet. I just fog them with my breath and gently wipe with a soft microfiber cloth. AR coating does have a slight negative in that they reveal defects in the reflector which is evidenced by more artifacts appearing in the beam. I guess because less light is bouncing around in the reflector and diffusing the beam. Generally only visible on flat walls though. ” Here’s a thread with some crude AR lens measurements”:AR Lenses - Lets Measure Improvement.

Yes there is benefit, until the coating start to wear off, or you start the cycle of hell (trying to clean them) then the smudges/foging make that 5-8% improvement 0.

So yea, imo they are overrated.

If you know your lenses will get damaged then switch the lenses for plain ones as soon as you get a new light? Send the AR ones to me. :bigsmile:

I’m planing to do that, just cant find big lens yet :smiley:

Why do you want to clean it ? I’m also a perfectionist but trying to clean it will only get worst.
The reflectors are also a nightmare to clean; even the softest material will leave a visible mark, but its usually only visible when you watch the reflector and turn the LED on. That why IMO you should never attempt to clean a reflector unless with compressed air.

Try measuring the light output with luxmeter, even with a very fogy lens I doubt you loose very much light and can tell the difference.

I never cease to be amazed at the amount of effort numbers of people can put into provenance, for one to come along and denounce the results so easily.

Life is compromise. Everything we do, everything we are, is a variable. If something works for you, by all means enjoy it! That’s what we all do, strive to find perfection and adjust our idea of same along the route.

Me? I don’t really care if an AR lens is more efficient. I don’t care if it’s more expensive. I don’t even care if it’s more fragile. I LIKE the way the reflector and emitter LOOK sitting under a high quality AR lens. And that’s all it takes for me. To be able to see my $21 MT-G2 as though there were no lens, to see the $62 Luminus SBT-70 clearly, like you could put a nice oily fingerprint right on it’s window pane, unencumbered by reflection from the overhead lights or whatever. That’s enough to make me buy em.

Every time.

YMMV

I’ve had some success with liquid dish washing soap and the tip of my finger.
Rub without force, finger will ‘float’ on the soap, but it will get rid of any grease or dust. :slight_smile:
Rinse with warm water and it’s clean(er).
Probly wise to do final rinse with demi- / distilled water…

I know dude, problem being it looks disgusting, i once had perfectly clear lens crystal like looking, now its whitis and foggy, like there is condensation when you are in car during winter but there is not, terrible!

Tried all of that bro, it only gets worst and worst :_(

:beer:

Love that crystal clear invisible glass.

It was a reaction to the remark about cleaning reflectors, not lenses.

Seriously though, i wonder what you did ‘wrong’ here, ending up with a diffuser in stead of a clear glass…

You can’t clean actual damage to the coating.

Of course not…
But you can prevent scratching it this way and yet clean it.
(Sorry, I was talking about reflectors here)

You could look up an abrasive with a lower hardness then glass & use it to totally strip the AR without scratching the glass.

Edmund optics carry pro-grade AR windows… expensive tho …
We use them on laser equipment .