Are we not capable of a little better?

One can’t be always right, or be always wrong. A few members here seems to have forgotten that.

Constructive complains are most welcomed. I hate when people expresses their most sincere and honest opinion and the discussion is called “drama”. It’s not a drama until someone starts calling names and tries to help with sarcastic attitude. Discussing is not arguing!

You want “DRAMA” go to the other place and tell them you don’t like Zebralight.

a bright cheers :wink: to all the positive and very helpfull people here!

Common courtesy isn’t common.
Lack of it signals a decline in civilization.
In my time here there has been trollish behavior and occasional food fights on a semi regular basis resulting in the odd ban now and then but what’s bothered me lately is the lack of room to discuss issues or differences of opinion. There doesn’t seem to be any space between “everything is peachy” and “everything sucks” to insert a qualification without being scorned and lumped into the later group. We need to be able to discuss things rationally and on the fly. I spend a good deal of my time here reading through a variety of threads looking to share what I’ve learned and be in on the kinds of new developments I am attracted to. Maybe it’s just the gaping vacancy in modding in the wake of OL’s retirement but the shift from modding to GB’s has put a strain/emphasis on the CS of our suppliers in their attempts to satisfy our desires. I hope the current trend is merely just part of the normal ebb and flow of behavior and just wish to encourage all of us to make a habit of under reacting in what we choose to make part of our individual legacies(what we leave in print for others to read) and leave room for the differences in thought and imagination that are the strength of this forum. There have always been trolls and they will continue to crop up like weeds so it is the responsibility of the veterans to lead by example and show how to exercise restraint without resorting to scorched earth behavior.

“…my SC600 MK3 CW has a greenish tint…”
-“The tint is not green, your blue and red receptors are damaged and you perceived more green than usual. Go ahead and sell it, lots of people are looking for one.”

The internet more and more seems to bring out the argumentative and rude side to people. Maybe if people would pause and think, would I say this if I was face to face with someone I did not know very well but who was generally trying to be helpful?
I think trolling and rudeness is infectionious online as anononimity and remoteness seems to give people strength to say what they know would be in appropriate in the real would.

Ramble over.

I cant believe I have been on this forum since 2011 WOW never thought about ti till today.First light I bought was a SK68 ..then I purchased several more!

Its amazing how much easier getting quality affordable lights has become it was truly a gamble back when this all began.

I do believe that this forum has had a heavy hand in making this happen.

Well said. Places like BLF become online ’families” over time, a bond formed by common interests, where we all can feel welcome and unwind after a long day without the stresses and pressures of everyday lives.

Not for anything, but haven’t you noticed that our more (put your description here) members are missing in this thread?

Perhaps the civility of this thread has not enough drive for them to post.

Haha!

Just pull this card next time there is a uncivilized arguing… works 100%

We do better, and I for one will attempt to tone it down.

To me this place is a resource…

Here are some retail prices near where I live in a sporting goods store, and how much it costs for the non rechargeable batteries…

Pardon the pics, was taking them surreptitiously…

I have found much pleasure and savings since finding BLF. I will keep this in perspective…

The $99 javelot clone costs more than the X6/K6 SS/Cu by the way, I think the package said 600 lumen…

The headlamps, it costs an extra $10 to go from 150 lumen to 205 lumen…

The discounted light was originally $34.95…

So when people complain on these threads over superficial issues, it does get my dander up. Perspective shows we are all profiting here in savings at the least. I know I am profiting in knowledge as well as the pleasurable time I have spent here. I will watch my keyboard tone…

Heh, that’s nothing compared to telling them you don’t like HDS, or think it’s way overpriced! (Which I’ve done.) The way ISIS treats non-believers seems tame in comparison to how the HDS crowd treats non-believers! :wink:

ReManG,

That store is a ripoff here in Maryland as well.

Some of the friction has roots laid down in the past. The lambasting has nothing to do with the present discussion. Instead, the harsh words are due to unresolved feelings from a previous discussion (or discussions). The issue isn’t what was said, the issue is who said it. It seems some members have very long memories and hold grudges.

And the people who engage in such practice are the noblest of souls. They have a vision of what BLF should be like and act out of a sense of vigilance against what they see are bad influences on BLF.

I try to live with Aloha. Like paying it forward, it is said that you need to show three acts of aloha before ever seeing even one returned. So, I tend to be much more forgiving of other people’s (perceived) transgressions.

For that I have been accused of being part of the silent majority - the so-called “good” man who let evil win by standing by.

Which approach is right, I cannot say.

All I can say is that we are all acting for what we believe is the Common Good.

Further to ReManG’s post. This is one example from my countries auction / sales site.
Bear in mind this happens regularly with C8’s as well. And many others. Hyper inflated prices and descriptions.
Search around Trademe, from time to time, at led torches. You will cringe at what sellers try to pull.
This 501b for example - RRP of $280 !!! That’s about $US185 !!!

https://touch.trademe.co.nz/listing/view/1026599999

I just scrolled down the page again on the link above.
Wow. Unreal bollocks.

30 or so years ago, as a budding archer, Gander Mtn. was THE catalog store to order from. They were the absolute best budget outdoors store in the USA, had just incredible prices on Browning bows in complete starter kits with arrows, rests, and armguards all included for about half of what local archery shops were charging. At the time, that also was true for their Maglite selection (back then they were still considered Cadillacs of the lighting industry). The very first time I was able to go into a B&M Gander Mtn. was right before the holidays last year. I had a thousand dollars in my pocket. I wanted to get some nice gifts for my relatives. I was severely sticker shocked and left without spending one cent. I don’t think I have ever been any more dissapointed in my life.

Man, I have no idea what’s going on. I guess I missed all those threads. Everything seems nice and friendly here to me. I’ve been a member of lots of forums over the years, and this one is pretty much the tamest and nicest.

There's plenty of evidence that the social disconnect of hiding behind a keyboard does that.

"Screaming at others in cars" was mentioned in the context of a general decline of civility. Just as with sitting behind a keyboard, getting behind the wheel in an insulated bubble makes some people feel they no longer have to follow any social niceties. My favourite is when they pull out from behind you, fly up the inside of you in a lane that is clearly blocked and then just expect you to let them in ahead. They'd never try it in a bank queue, a bar, or in line for tickets at a sports event where it may get them a punch in the nose.

In any situation, when someone is overtly selfish or rude, tempers are bound to become frayed.

There does seem to be a bit more friction at BLF recently. But as others have said, it is probably an inevitable result of a larger membership. Maybe the percentage of people who "just don't get it" hasn't changed; just that there are now more of them?

lol, ahhh, the 60’s! They say if you can Remember the 60”s then you weren’t there 0:) 0:) 0:) , lol, true enough! Livin free, the outdoors, THE DOORS :bigsmile: , Mr James R. Hendrix, Hitch-hiking was groovy

I really enjoyed the “haze” adjective DB Custom. lol. “Haze was the 60’s clarity” and proved once again that nature takes care of her own! I consider myself lucky to have witnessed the sixties even though I wasn’t quite old enough to be “labeled” an honorary participant. snicker snicker

I should add that during the later part of the 60’, I could not claim the same for my adventurist older (by 2yrs) brother , (nor his friends). One day he just up and disappeared for a couple of weeks without a word to anyone. It turned out that several of his friends were also rumored to be missing. They were only 15 and 16 at the time, no car, but back then times were different and hitch-hiking was a cheap way to travel, even 450 miles cross county, and in groups! Well, WOODSTOCK says it all!

To this day he also still gets that “hazey” look lol

EDIT 2-6-16 I got carried away (flashback?) and forgot my point for posting, PEACE!

My older sister saw The Beatles twice. I’ll be jealous until the day I die.