arrrggghhh why are cars so expensive here? :S

Well, there are some "problems" that recur quite often for me and having a female handy has proven quite useful.

veryhappyFoy

Naaa, she's worth keeping. :)

I bet your wife was standing behind you when you typed that out.

Go Electric ! For that kind of $$ build your own ...

But yeah Gas-petrol is just getting out of hand , its time to go electric ...

Yeah - No girlfriend = no problems

But keep in mind: Even if you want to drink a glass of milk occasionally, you still don't need to buy a cow.

Brings a whole new meaning to the term donorcycle!

Somehow I can't laugh about this joke. Might be too close to the truth.

What joke?

There is no joke.

Another possible solution - MOVE! Go somewhere where cars are cheaper and islamic militants are not trying to remove you from the planet. Just a thought and your flashlight collection would be safer too.

Israel is still safe enough for Jews, I think. It's kind of crazy to say that when rockets are launched on cities in the south, families murdered in their homes in the east, there's still danger of rockets from the north and it's still a bit scary to travel by bus from fear of suicide bombers, but either I've got used to it or the situation really is much less intense than what it used to be several years ago.

And anyway, Islamic radicals and other anti Jews are everywhere now in the western world.

This country was established for a reason...

Still sounds like a lot of goings on to me. The synagogue down the street has a good crowd every Friday and Saturday. As for islamic radicals, not so many of them here :). Good luck to you and I hope you are able to find a nice ride.

Funny enough, I bought my $urefire V70 speed holster thru eBay from a vendor in Israel.

Seems somewhat ironic that a country that has to meticulously import mostly everything can offer me the best deal for a certain item on the WWW.

Thanks, wiljen :)

I've put my eye on a VW Golf or Jetta. Still don't know if the 1.6L is enough for me or I'll need the 1.4L version, I'll take both for a test drive tomorrow I think.

If the DSG7 gear isn't as noisy as some reviews I've seen say, I'll take it.

If not the VW, I'll have to think hard what I want... the Opel Astra 1.6L I tested was way too weak for even flat road drives, not to mention climbing up hills, and the Toyota Corolla I tested is fine in this respect but safety wise it is inferior to the Opel and VW offerings.

My current Daihatsu Applause with manual gear feels much superior to them both in terms of driving fun.

So many choices, so many considerations, so little money... but it's fun to test many cars. :)

Maybe it's dropshipping?

..made in japan .. best in the world ..That's why I like older japanese cars like lexus .the whole car is made in japan and they last ..I have a Japanese wife and a Japanese car .she wants something else like a german car ..i want the ease of a no problem ride . I'd take my time and buy used japanese and get more car than a corolla .

It's been a good 20 years since the last German cars truly came with that feature.

After that, reliability started to suffer in favor of cheaper build costs.

Then again, my 2006 Ford Fiesta is pretty much trouble free, considering the way I'm thrashing it sometimes. Went through three burnt headlight filaments, two electrical fuses, one oil change and two sets of seat covers in five years. That's about it.

I work in a company that provides assistance services for most automobile brands available in Finland. I'm not entitled, or even willing to trash any single brand in public (after all, their importers pay my salary). But if you want to have a trouble free reliable car, avoid Europe and America in general. Go for Japanese. Korea is ok too.

There are good and bad individuals in every brand. It's just that some brands have lesser bad and more good than others, and vice versa.

I have an old Daihatsu Feroza with somewhat closed to 200'000 km off. I looks really ugly and worn, but despite I abuse it every day, it's still going strong.

My Daihatsu Applause has done almost 400,000km (me and my father, mostly), and still works very well. It did have an engine changed at about 200,000km (but it wasn't a new engine, probably had 100,000km or so), and it does meet the garage more often than I'd like it too (but mostly for air conditioner problems), but besides that it didn't have to undergo any work other than normal treatments (? what's the word?).

Yup, Daihatsu are great :)

My list has now shrunk to three cars: VW Golf 1.6L, Toyota Auris 1.6L and Mazda 3 1.6L.

The Mazda feels great to drive, the Auris should feel good as it is essentially a kind of Corolla (which I tested), and I haven't yet test drove the Golf but its seats are far comfortable than the other two (and my head doesn't touch the ceiling as it does in the Mazda...).

I really have to try the Golf before I decide. Such a charming car. :)

There's no reason to take the first couple year hit on a car .. which is massive . I know people very close to me who make millions a year who have never bought a new car and see no reason to be scalped 20 to 30 thousand on a new mercedes when the two year ones they buy are perfect . I've held to the exact same philosophy ... never buy a new car .. second reason is it gives the public a huge data base of common problems that is easy to calculate ... buy a new car and roll the dice and join a bunch of other blind guinea pigs... not me ..not now ...not for a woman ...not for my wife . If a perfect 3 year old car with low miles doesn't do it for her ..... it's time for her beating . OR she can buy her own brand new car ....crazy thought there huh ?