As cheap as possible?

Nice.
Yes it’s an addictive forum.
Sorry bout the pour quality pics, was hush hush in rainy weather. I should have put out the lights inside, the cam didn’t got the real way the house was lit.

Mine was not impressive on AA, almost not worth using. I upgraded to a 14500 from Efest and it became useful but still not the kind of experience I have gotten from all my other LiIon lights. Though it may not be a concern to you I have found the 14500 doesn’t run as long as I need (I use mine as a work-light for hours, not minutes) and it dims to AA alki level about halfway through the run-time. This is not a bad light with the 14500, just limited with older (possibly fake) emitters and not enough cell performance because of the cell size. You will like what a LiIon does for it but if you decide you need more or better it is out there and at good prices for what you get. Plus the LiIon gear can transfer over.

Prepare to be assimilated into the wonderful world of Flashaholism :bigsmile: Guard you wallet and make space for the lights you’ll be happily be acquiring more of soon!

Phil

My wallet is quivering. I had only planned on picking up a cheap replacement for under £10. A new cell and charger have cost £7, but now I’m looking at the group buy of D80’s and thinking would that blow my sk68 out of the water, even on 14500 cells?

I’d need another cell to power it, but the charger I’ve ordered is compatible…

Oh, and I need 60mins runtime as I always give the dog an hour.

Yes you would be amazed by the D80 with a quality 18650. The lower modes would surely give you an hour and keep your current light as a back up!

Yes, the D80’s output would put the SK68 to shame.

What happened to “as cheap as possible”?

It’s called the BLF effect. :evil:

If only I had the option of BLF edition lights years ago I wouldn't have drawers full of old lights an lots of more money!

These are the only lights I purchase now!

No, I’m being strong. I’ll wait on my 14500 arriving and see how that goes.
If I still don’t feel that it’s enough, I’ll plump for the D80 assuming it’s still available.

Mrs Nightshade told me last night that she’d given up on the SK68 when walking the dog (we do alternate nights) and had resorted to using her phone’s flash in torch mode as it was brighter and cast more of a flood……can’t have that now can we?

Nightshade,

Keep reading and you’ll find plenty of great info about lights.

A couple of points: Rechargeable cells are the way to go. After you burn through several packs of AA you could have paid for Eneloops and a good charger. Better, buy a multiple chemistry charger that will do both NiMH and LiIon.

Further, buy multi mode lights. Far more useful than single mode, you can choose high for outside w/ the dog then switch to low for inside looking for the dogs’ toy under the couch.

Finally, remember the flashoholics mantra, “One is none, two is one!”

Ah, you’ve just reminded me that I own such a charger - a Hobbyking Eco Lipo charger and a quick google shows that it does cater for Li-Ion too. I have already ordered the charger above, but perhaps I’d be better using the HK - it gives voltage readouts and can do storage charges and such…… I don’t think you balance Li-Ion do you? though I’ve only got 1 cell so that’s irrelevant.

I’d need to get some kind of battery holder though, as all of the leads I have won’t be suitable. There is one for AA’s, but it needs 4 cells to be in it at once.

Can I also just thank you all once again for all your help and for making me feel welcomed. It’s great to get such nice responses when you turn up all bright eyed and without a clue :slight_smile:

And now the wait……c’mon Mr postman!

So yesterday I found out that I’ve passed my latest accountancy exam - just 4 more to go till I’m chartered. I felt a need to celebrate, but …. just how should I do that?

Yes, you guessed - I rewarded myself with a D80 shaped hole in my savings account. So much for being strong.

If there;s one thing I’ve learned in my 56 years on this planet, it is to reward yourself when you deserve it because you’re worth it. And because if you wait on someone else to reward you, you might end up with an empty bag.

Kudos on the test results and best wishes for even better to come (Hint: Plan on a M43 or similar for that :slight_smile: )
Phil

LoL! You’ve been initiated, welcome to the club. :beer: :beer: :beer:

Not heard of this before so had to search for it………how much for a torch?!?

Links:

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=505

:evil:

I was tempted to buy one, but settled for this one. (Option 1 puts out about 3000 lumens, about half that of the Meteor, but at a third of the cost.)

This is the flashlight that currently piques my interest: groupbuy: nitecore TM16GT available again

And don’t miss out on this small, classy and relatively inexpensive gem! 3rd batch produced!! GBGB: 2nd batch of BLF-348 (Classy and Small 1xAAA Stainless Steel light, with Nichia NVSW219B-V1 R9050)!

Yes, that’s the link I found. Way more than I’d consider spending on a light.
Then again, I did start this thread with a similar thought… Anyway, just no. :stuck_out_tongue:

And yes, I saw the other GB ( < look at that, getting the lingo round here too) for the 348. I like it, but I’m not sure that I’d use it. Besides, I have 3 packages en route already, so I need to calm down.

Just make the D80 a gift for her (the boss). She will appreciate it so much that she will even feel bad and tell you to get one for yourself (because she will not give hers up) and then she will say that you may as well get a spare.

By then there is no "being strong"....you'll be hooked! ;)

Congrats n the exam!

Oh nice, you have “the boss” onboard…… this surely means more flashlight shaped holes in the bank account :smiley:

Thanks guys,

Mrs. N isn’t exactly on board, but she tolerates my various hobbies/ latest interests. I cycle through radio controlled stuff, fountain pens, wet shaving, cycling and my car. Maybe flashlights too - too early to tell

How very exciting! Package number one has arrived. 14500 battery and charger.
Looks like a hefty improvement in the sk68 clone.

So that just leaves another 3 packages en route….blf what have you done to me?