Astrolux FT03 driver versions for SST-40 and XHP50.2

After my recent issues with an SST-40 FT03 I got curious about the current limitation in the Astrolux FT03. Over at the TLF we wonder if there are different driver versions for the SST-40 and XHP50.2 because of the different current requirements and limitations.

So far I thought at 100% the FT03 is in direct-drive and the current is just limited by the overall resistance of the current path (internal battery resistance, springs etc). I also wondered why it uses double BeCu springs until I realized that the same host is used for two different LEDs, of course.

Now the question is: If the overall design tries to minimize the resistance, how is it possible to not destroy the SST-40? People at TLF report no issues with high drain batteries and suggest that there might be a different driver in the SST-40 version that limits the current somehow. I’m not exactly sure who designed the driver, so maybe someone here can help me with my question.

Absolutely no limitation in SST40 version. They use same driver for both leds. And springs are not Be-Cu springs. Just steel.

+1 the SST40 can take a lot of abuse and the forward voltage is actually lower than a comparable XML2 and can handle much higher current, 8 amps before dying.

I am using my 3 volt xhp50.2 on the same Convoy fet driver I ran my sst40 on just fine and get 7 amps.

Bypass your springs.

There’s been reports of newer XML2’s that have died at just over 6 Amps

The newer SST40s have better bonding wires than the sample tested by djozz. Can’t remember exactly but I don’t think anyone’s on here exceeded 9.5 amps yet.

I measured 8,3 and 8,8A on my SST40 FT03s

I measured 8.85A on my dedomed sst-40 what output did you get at 30 secs? I got 2,520 at 30secs but that doesn’t seam right

I got 2100 and 2200 lumens at start. Don’t have 30 sec measurements and now both of them led swapped. 2520 seem way too much even a domed sst40. For a dedomed it should be even less. Around 2000 lumens at start. At 30s even less than 2000.

I am new to this so please forgive my ignorance on the topic. I am considering an Astrolux FT03 SST-40 and would like to get a couple of high quality 26650 batteries. I have read reviews on that flashlight that have mentioned Shockli 5500mAh, 20A continuous/30A pulse discharge; and the Orbtronic 5500mAh, 15A constant discharge; and other batteries were also mentioned. Are the two batteries listed, safe to use in the flashlight I am considering? Other questions: 1) Should the battery be protected or unprotected? 2) What is a recommended mAh range? 3) What is a recommended range for continuous current discharge? Thank you!