Astrolux S41 - presale ended

mozart, just for clarification… the Cu X5 has WAY more cooling mass, the entire light is copper, there are more cooling fins, the emitter shelf is deeper. And sinner makes full copper EDC triples all day every day. I call that available on the market. :wink:

Re-flowing the mcpcb to the copper pill/head will of course, make a mess of the protective coating and cause the light to start darkening in places, not in other places, just want y’all to know that it will cause you to do yet more work in a different area. :wink:

Drill out the pin holes til you see copper again. Optic fits fine. :wink: [if you do reflow the mcpcb, this also clears flux]

I think the 4 Nichias in this light is too much for the size, but I’m still tempted to put 4 XPL hi’s. :slight_smile:

I don’t know why anyone would order a nichia version just to change LEDs. The XPG2 version is cheaper.

I don’t know why, it seems to be a ‘magical nichia’ thing :smiley: , I ordered the cree type but I don’t want to modify this light! The lumen weight ratio seems perfect imo! :sunglasses:

Because the light is better it came with Nachias. :slight_smile:

Also it was the same price and I wasn’t really thinking about swapping before the MCPCB short potential came to light, if I’m going to reflow LEDs on a light that already gets hot enough to be dangerous why not go further?

DB Custom, you are absolutely correct in yours comments.
The Cu X5 has way more cooling capability than the S41, but it isn’t a tube style flashlight, and for me 14500 flashlights don’t have enough battery capacity for a good runtime. That’s the interesting design point of the S41, a tube style with a better heat potencial and with 18650 battery advantages (I will use it if the 18650 tube).
About the Sinner tube lights, perhaps than the S41 could be called the second best tube light in the heat dissipation capability. But Sinner price puts it in a different category…
As I’m still waiting the S41 arrive, didn’t now that it has a coating in the copper head, but the copper patina look is ok to me, no problem that in the reflow I will loose the coating protection.
Didn’t resist and already ordered xpl-hi emitters for my S41.

Well, what I had hoped when I sent the X5 Quad to Neal was that they’d make the head like it is with the sink in place, very thick under the emitter shelf. The thought was that they could make it with much less machining but still be like the X5, just not remove so much material. But of course, they deviated and the copper head is much less substantial. sigh.

As you can tell in this pic, there’s a LOT more mass for heat sinking under the quad mcpcb in the light I sent Neal, about 14mm plus the ~2mm of the original shelf.

Staying with the 24mm optic, my design has the sink filling the bezel of the X5 for even more contact surface and supporting the optic at the rim up top instead of the legs below… the pins merely line up the TIR’s on the emitter.

They cut it off short and sacrificed the extra material for a slightly shorter head and smaller light, not much smaller, but fitting their existing X6 shorty tube by going to the 18350 cell.

If they’d kept with this much more substantial design, it probably would have done a lot better with an 18650. As it is, well, it’ll be short lived on Turbo for sure.

FWIW, it’s still bonkers with all the mass. lol

If you want to put in a t-pad quad and Carclo optics, you need to add a mm or two to shim up the stack to match the stock height. I used a old triple noctigon that I filed the whole top off to make a copper slug out of it. That does add a few ounces of mass. I bought two S41’s, and one is now a 219C quad, and the other is XP-G3. Love them both.
Dale, I see what you mean about the rosey aura! I do like it a lot! It is a nice bright white though…
What I would like is an 18500 battery tube. A little more runtime, but not too much to melt it down.
I also put in MTN17DDm-niv drivers with Bistro. Seems like the thermal protection is the way to go. The up-side to less mass is that it will bleed the heat off sooner and that’s not a bad thing.

And you are correct, Dale, the X5 quad is still bonkers with all the mass! :smiling_imp:
Thank you again!

Those are fantastic mods you did, Th8redude. Can’t wait to get mine in (for similar mods :slight_smile: )

Tj8tredude nice work .

Did the carclo optic fit without any modification except the copper under the quad mcpcb ?

I should mention that the Carclo optic/t-pad is slightly more spread out, so while the stock optic keeps all of the TIR within the confines of the bezel, the Carclo does extend under it a bit. Less then it extends under the bezel on the triple in a sinner or BLF Ti…
I have some narrow Kathod’s on the way. Should get them by Wednesday. I’m interested to see how they compare.
Also, the Carclo narrow clear is not as tight as the stock optic.

Got mine today. Checked continuity and used a protected cell.

My Manker E14 version of the S41 arrived on Friday. I’ve been messing with it for 2 days now. It’s a nice flashlight and the build quality of my example is quite good, mcpcb screw kerfuffle not withstanding.

Output with a purple Efest 18350 seems to be about the same as my Astrolux S1 with the same Efest battery.

After using it for awhile with various 18350 batteries, I installed an S1 18650 tube and a high drain battery. . So far I think I like it better with the 18650 but I’m looking for higher drain 18350s.

It does fit without any mods other than the spacer.

On another note, the Khatod optics came today!
On the upside, these appear to be a nice, truly narrow optic.
On the downside, I don’t think there is any way they will work in the S41.
While the Carclo/T-pad stack is about 1.5mm shorter than the stock stack, the Khatod/T-pad stack is about 5-7mm taller. That’s also why I think it will turn out to really be actually pretty narrow.
If I have time, I’ll pull out the caliper and give you all actual measurements of all three.

Now I want to mod my other Cu X5 to a quad with these optics! Plenty of length in there!

Toykeeper, I will try your CYPREUS firmware. Looks really interesting the 2 stage turbo step-down.

That’s the look I was going for with my A6 long n short tubes but I’m still waiting for the A41 :cry: :cry:

Noob’s permanent (time will tell) no soldering solution to the potential S41 shorting problem.

!!

In order to ensure the board doesn’t move/shift I first applied Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive along the outer edges then let cure. I then removed the two screws and packed epoxy into those holes.