ATTEN AT858D+ SMD Hot Air Rework Station

Depends how much you enjoy flames coming from your hairy bits. Personally, I don't enjoy it at all.

Does it do nose hairs?

Just reading that made my eyes water! :)

WARNING: The ATTEN 858D+ may be dangerous.

There may be wiring problems, check your device before use:

• The mains active and ground wires may be transposed, so the ground is connected to the PCB and the mains active to the metal casing.
  • The PCB ground do not connect to the metal casing, so the device is not completely grounded.

For details, see here: http://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3461.0

I agree with you. Dave’s video reviews are the best, unbiased, informative! Anyone interested in SMD rework or hot air gun should check out this YouTube video.

I have this rework station and it’s working fine.

Can you solder with it?

You can solder and desolder SMD components with it.

And even big chunky stuff like soldering copper discs into brass or copper pills. Works much nicer than an open torch flame as it doesn't try to set the flux on fire. :)

You can check out Dave’s video and see how you can use it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vva2t21sOAs&feature=youtu.be

You are going to kill yourself, if you use it as a hair dryer. It basically helps you solder, desolder, repair electronics, and things like that. see this guide for more, at858d+ hot air rework station

Mine will be at my house tomorrow!!

:slight_smile:

Some of these require you to remove 2-3 packing screws with red paint on them from the bottom of the device. The included instructions do not make it clear that you need to perform this step prior to operating it.

Just got my rework station in!

Whipped this puppy out in about 20 minutes…and NEVER have used a hot air rework station before

Custom 20mm high current Nanjg style driver
TOP:

BOTTOM:

Oh so easy…just heat the Nanjg 105C component till the solder turns shiny, pluck it off the board with tweezers, going back on is just as easy!

2800mA flashed with STAR V1.1 stars 3 and 4 soldered to ground…my SH98 now is a turbo w/ 2 min timeout to high, high, med, low-4 mode light (I hate flashies)

I forgot to flash it initially, so I was caught off guard by the stock Nanjg low, med, high/low, med, high, strobe, sos dual group

Yeah it was a crap host to put it in, but I don’t have any other 20mm units to work with

I got mine a week ago or something, and yesterday the purple envelope found it’s way into the mailbox so it’s time to get to work.

When soldering on the OSH Park board, did you use solder or solder paste? Do you need flux if using solder paste?

just got this for $65 shipped http://www.ebay.com/itm/321261786970?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Solder paste, no extra flux.

Thanks. It was surprisingly easy. So glad it didn’t matter that a little paste spilled over, and it was kind of cool to see those components wiggle themselves into place.

solder paste

I use the dispenser and dab a blob on the pad, going to now use a syringe and a 32ga needle that I grind off the sharp tip and make it a blunt tip and put a dab on the pads. Then heat, the solder paste has flux in it already so it’s a one shot deal :slight_smile:

You can get blunt needles on ebay.

I can also get needles for my prescription meds already…then use a rotary tool and a diamond cutoff wheel to grind down the sharp point

You forget…I’m a DIY and a “budget” minded fella :wink: