Aussie-Yank Flashlights Inc. Or how to span the oceans with crazy mods and good BLF friends. All Done

maybe we can start arranging a group buy on one of these custom light?.
another BLF 2014 edition anyone? :bigsmile: let’s celebrate the new year with a custom made BLF special edition!
cheers mate :beer:

Danged Aussie! You left off a few 000000000000000000000000000000000 !!!!! You don't get a discount just cause you are "Down Under". Fed X that check!! Ha!

Truly beautiful work!! (that will be another check... or as you Aussies say "Cheque" .)

Dan.

A Texas WOWSER.... that's "WOW" to the 4th power.... just in case "WOWSER" isn't an Aussie ...or Yankee word.

True Art! Just can't quit looking at these. Dan.

Hell, Dan, I can’t quit looking at them either and they’re sitting right next to me. I never thought they would be such good looking lights. I can’t wait to see them finished! Wait, I’m the one who has to finish them… Undecided

Hey, the weather is getting bad again. Cold front moving in. Might have to wait it out in the house, where it's warm...Tongue Out

Mother of God, those are the prettiest mags I've ever seen! Steve, you simply don't give yourself enough credit for your amazing talent. WOWZERS!!!!!

Johnny Mac said WOWZERS!! Ha! See Steve.... I AIN'T WRONG!!! ART!!! BEAUTIFUL ART!

Dan.

Absolutely incredible works of art!! Speechless here tbh, well done to you both

OL... ONCE AGAIN.... it DOES NOT get cold in Tyler. It's your imagination! At my house in Amarillo this morning it is 14 degrees... 22mph north wind.... Tyler is 37 and calm... NO EXCUSES!!! But, we will happily keep looking at these images until you warm up!!! Danged Sissy! Dan.

Beautiful work you 2! Fantastic how the black and silver work together, nicely done indeed Justin. Steve, the machining looks awesome, the detail of threaded pills, just fantastic! While they both look awesome, that short one is calling my name, I can hear it in spite of the howling North Wind! I NEEEED that light! :wink:

Really looking forward to seeing these come to fruition, and placing the winning bid on that short one….

Well done guys!

Every time I look at them I think of clipped poodles.

What are you using to get such a high polish on aluminum?

1000 grit paper and #0000 Steel Wool, then Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish. There’s also Mothers Billet Metal Polish. Both of them work like a miracle drug. I’ve never seen anything else give such a smooth finish and high shine on Aluminum. It’s almost cheating to use it.

DBCstm is the one who had mentioned using the stuff in one of his threads, so I got some at Wal-Mart and I'm sold on it.

You can actually use the Mothers to repair a damaged aluminum reflector. Sand off the plating that’s damaged and polish the bare aluminum with Mother’s Mag and Aluminum Polish, or Mothers Billet Metal Polish, you can achieve almost exactly the same polished finish as the vacuum deposited layer that got scratched! :slight_smile:

A failed attempt at a home made reflector, wrong profile…

This was done with Mothers Incredible Billet Metal Polish, an old can that is mostly dried up. I used the paper backside of 600 grit paper. :wink: Paper works wonders when polishing. :slight_smile:

That's fantastic. I don't think of aluminum shining like that. It gives me an idea for a project I thought would need more expensive and harder to machine stainless steel.

Simply speechless! Watching and waiting now. "You call that a flashlight? . . . This is a flashlight!"

-Garry

Well... I thought I had the larger light all done. MT-G2, DrJones driver with extra chips, modded the stock switch for momentary. All set...Cool

Pulls one amp! WTH? Ok, so I tried it Driect Drive with two of the 20R batteries... pulls one Amp! WTF? Took it off the Noctigon and checked it, reflowed it again... pulls one Amp! All I can think of, is that the led is just bad from the factory. I have never seen a led light up, look ok, but only pull 30% of what it should pull, especially Direct Drive. Visually, the led looks perfect, but there's got to be something.

Guess I will have to go get another one and try again. It's just very strange. I've never seen one do that.

Could it be a higher voltage version of the mt-g2 that got shipped to you by accident. They also come in 9v and 36v I believe, maybe it’s a 9v one?
Is this one from intl-outdoor or cutter?

The led came from Cutter.

Give it some more juice and see what happens…
Who knows maybe they had the box/reel with the 9v emitters stored upside down on the shelf :wink:

Edit: Although, looking at the datasheet for the 9v mtg2 it should only be drawing around 750mah from 2 fully charged 18650s in direct drive…so maybe it is just a bad emitter. Strange though…

Can you run the test outside of the host to eliminate resistance possibilities?

I did buy two led’s at the same time. I went looking for the other to test but its not there. I may of used it in the last build. If so that one was the correct voltage. I have had one do a similar thing previously but that was after lots of reflows and a couple of different stars when I was messing around.
At the end of the day some things are just faulty. The last small light I built had a faulty driver and led. Thankfully I tested them out of the bag and not when the light was finished.