Auto Lock-out UI, please help!

Sofirn/Wurkkos already did both for same model before.

TS11 with Anduril + TS11’S’ with simplified UI. And I think a few others. Ofc this would bloat up their lineup even more, but I don’t see why we can’t have both.

That would likely help them sell even more lights.

I’m interested in figuring out how simple UI could be more usable for people who don’t as that’s often the justification for a lot of manufacturers for making lights with noncustomisable firmware - do you just not like ramping interfaces at all and want one that only cycles through preset modes (perhaps in a circular loop rather than the way anduril reverses?), or something else the issue with it? Thinking about the practicality of having an “even simpler simple UI” option for OEMs who want that vs the current “anduril with less features” simple UI that ultimately still works mostly the same as the full UI.

It is not a discussion on Anduril pros and cons so I answer shortly. It is a flaslight not a jet plan. I only need it to make some light. 3-4 levels and off. Low battarey indication is nice and also electronic lock off. That is it.
If I need to read the manual more than once it is too complicated

Thanks for your comment!

Re: “many users”, please realize anduril-hat^H^H^Hunliking folks are distinctly in the minority: even among hard-core Convoy users, and even paying more for the privilege, We the People prefer Anduril by over a 5 times margin.

Just out of curiosity: did you read and understand my proposal? The idea is:

• Put Anduril in the light, but code the exact same flashlight UI (ie, the one this same manufacturer/model would come with if not for Anduril) in place of Anduril’s Simple mode;
  • This is the default when you receive the flashligh from factory, and when you factory-reset it;
  • So, you get the flashlight from factory exactly like you would if it was a non-Anduril light;
  • We Anduril enthusiasts willing to use it, would have to activate it explicity using the 10H sequence.
  • As that sequence consists in fast-clicking the light switch 10 times AND then holding at least for a second after the last click, the risk of activating Anduril is negligible, so you and the other people that don’t like Anduril would about as “safe” from activating it by mistake/accident as being killed by a lightning bolt on a clear sunny day.

And see, as the manufacturer will end up selling MANY more lights by making them available with Anduril than without (see the “over 5 times margin” above), gains of scale would probably make the light even cheaper, so benefiting you non-Anduril-enthusiasts too!

What’s not to like? :smiley:

1 Thank

It will peobably shock you, but most of the pople who buy and use flashlights don’t vote on r/flaslights. They just need simple UI. They also don’t want to pay extra for MCU with more memory needed for FW they dont use

2 Thanks

Gotta toss it in here… one of my favorite lights is the EC50.

On/off, LMH, done.

Plus I still got and use quite a few 1-mode on/off lights.

And some lights like the Tacklife with an annoying af UI which I try to use as a 1-mode light and would happily lobotomise it if I could.

Sometimes a light is just a light.

1 Thank

Agreed on all three counsts [sic] ! :smiley:

And in my proposal, that’s what they will get right from the factory :slight_smile:

The AT1616 MCU (which is one of the more expensive MCUs among those capable of running Anduril) costs exactly $0.05 (yep, all of 5 pennies) more than the cheapest Anduril-incapable MCU (eg, from Sonix). This is less than 0.3% of the cost of a $20 light…

But even for the ones among us where saving $0.05 in a $20 purchase is mandatory, having Anduril is a good thing: with the added sales that having Anduril would generate (and not only among the folks that access r/flashlight, as even the folks that don’t access it but are eg feature-comparing lights for their purchase, will tend to buy a light listing “Anduril” as one of its features rather than one that does not, out of curiosity if nothing else), having Anduril on the light will probably make the light less expensive than one without.

Does it run Anduril? Lobotomizing is easy :wink: It’s just a matter of changing the firmware. And that’s what me and the other Anduril modders are here for! :wink:

Does that Tacklife run Anduril? If yes, please tell me the model (ie, what it blinks after clicking 15C) and I will happily provide you with a
“lobotomized” HEX (that is, one that does exactly the “On/off, LMH, done” you want).

If it doesn’t already have Anduril, then there’s nothing I can do for you – one more reason for wanting Anduril everywhere! :partying_face:

It got the magical tailcap that has the driver and charger built-in. Nothing in the head but the LED.

Unscrewing the outer tailcap exposes the inner tailcap with usb port, switch, and red/green LEDs for charge status (both charging and in-use).

Seems like we’re getting a bit off-topic. The thread is about what Sofirn should do to improve their recent Auto-lockout UI.

Anduril provides one solution for how to implement that feature, but it’s not the only solution. Another really slick way to handle automatic lockout is SammysHP’s “pocket UI”. It’s the same as the regular UI, but with 1 extra click on every “from off” action. It’s a very simple and very effective solution which allows a light to be locked all the time, without being a pain to turn on.

Regardless of that though, Sofirn should probably add memory for the flag which tracks whether auto-lock is enabled. So if the user turns that on or off, the light should remember even after a battery change. When it forgets the user’s preferences, it makes for an unhappy user.

3 Thanks

guys, thank you for all the kind and helpful replies. I read all the replies and talked with engineer. Hope we can provide a more reasonable UI. :smiley:
It’s really difficult to decide who to be sent the free prototypes, but
3 people below were chosen

1. Toykeeper
  2. SIGShooter
  3. dmenezes
    Please PM me with your address, I will send SC28 for free.
    Thank you!
1 Thank

Thanks! I wasn’t trying to enter a giveaway though, and I don’t think I’m eligible anyway. I receive a lot of prototypes. Could you roll the dice again and choose someone who might appreciate it more?

Congrats to the winners! :partying_face:

There has been so much talk about the lockout, but not about something else very important.

How do you show that the flashlight is locked out? And not just broken, or a dead battery?

My suggestion: use the battery indicator LED, and let it blink 2 times for example… to notify that the light is locked. That would also help diagnose 'the problem’ easier. You could also do that by letting the LED blink.

But at least use something for diagnostics that people can find easily on the internet.

This wont help: My flashlight doesn’t turn on, what should I do?

Like with computers, you get error codes. And that’s the only way you would know what the ‘exact’ problem is.
So if you are implementing any type of lockout, it would be great to have something to ‘show’ it is in the lockout state.

That was beyond the question, but pretty important to consider as well, in my opinion.

2 Thanks

Thank you, Toykeeper.
I will respect your wishes and roll the dice again and choose another people. :smiley:

Hi, guys. :smiley:
Because Toykeeper wasn’t trying to enter a giveaway, now these is a new one be chossen:
jon_slider
Please PM me with your address, I will send SC28 for free.
Thank you!

2 Thanks

@Toykeeper’s generosity and kindness are legendary. It’s not for nothing that she’s the queen :crown: of all of us flashlight enthusiasts – long live the queen! :tada:

Thank you very much for the free SC28, @Barry0892! It’s my first Sofirn flashlight, and I’m really excited! :partying_face: I’ve just sent you a PM with the shipping details. :+1:

Congrats to my brothers @SIGShooter and @jon_slider on winning your SC28s, I hope yours make you as excited as me! :rofl:

3 Thanks

I personally am very familiar with manually activated lockout of my imalents and amutorch flashlight. 4 fast clicks to enable/disable the lockout. I would say automatic lockout would irritate me having to use it every time, and it would delay me turning on the light. At least have the auto lockout optional or have a way of disabling it. I guess it would be good safety feature for the average user, however you can mechanically lockout by partially unscrewing the battery contact. I personally remember if my flashlight is locked out or not, and in my opinion having instant access to full power is better.
Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Thanks Barry! I have a number of Sofirn lights and am very happy with all of them. Well except for one where the tint was sooooo green that I ended up swapping out the led. But the light itself was fine :grin:

It’s weird. I love the simplicity and effectiveness of moving the tail cap slightly. It’s an awesome design but then someone has to complicate it while making it troublesome at the same time! No wonder we’re doomed :joy: