Back to vinyl - share your journey, tips, LPs and picts

MC-5 Live Detroit 1968-69 big on everything, but production, eh not so much.
Still rocks though.

Most Fake Live album, my vote would be the Eagles. it has been said the only thing live was the kick drum :slight_smile:

St Mark’s Sounds, damn that was a cool place. Must have been back in the late 80s

I always had low opinions of live albums, but Scorpions’ “World Wide Live” has a special place, because that was my first concert ever (at MSG). Still sounds like it was recorded with the mikes under pillows.

“The Song Remains The Same” is a classic, gotta be on everyone’s list at some point.

Probably forgetting a few, but Bongiovi’s “One Wild Night” is fantastic, really put together well.

Tops to this day has got to be Nightwish’s “End Of An Era”. I’d kill the babies of a thousand planets to be able to go back in time and catch that live. Moreso because that was Tarja’s last, well, anything with the band, after they did her dirty like that. After that, there was a band called “Nightwish”, but it wasn’t Nightwish.

Dunno if it’s available as an album per se, but if anyone wants an hournahalf eargasm, there’s Armin van Buuren and his “Classical Interpretations” at

And since we’re going Dutch, Within Temptation’s “Black Symphony” is another treat with great sound quality, another live performance wired up specially to record studio-grade sound. Look for a special duet with Anneke van Giersbergen doing “Somewhere”.

Just… wow.

Yep, those were my old stomping grounds, right around the corner from McSorley’s and the Hell’s Angels East Village chapter. :laughing:

Double Live Gonzo was a revelation for me. Ted Nugent for President !

Frampton Comes Alive is still a favourite.

Saw Thin Lizzy do Live and Dangerous at the Myer Music Bowl back in 1978, I think with Gary Moore. It lives in my car for when I want to blast the greatest live rock n roll album ever.

Speaking of live performance, sound quality and Led Zep, the 2007 Celebration Day live at the London O2 arena is a blast IMO. I was amazed by the energy and spirit of the band members so many decades latter and was totally blown away by the 21st century sound and image quality. It is like a 70’s show captured with alien technology.

I have at least 3500 lps.
I have listened to exactly 0 since 2010, when i boxed them for a move.
I can;t stand the thought.
The only thing I might do is hook it all up to hear some things that just do not exist in any other form/
But even then the music would have to also be something i really like.
Beatles reissues, no interest.
So there is a 5% chance I may never do it in my remaining 30 (?) years.

I also have maybe 2000 CDs but rarely go back to listen to something, I am getting new stuff all the time.
Wide interests, esp if it is also cheap (library, estate sales, etc)
I did get led zep 2 a while back on CD, allman brothers and such.
The music is great, but I am moving on, and it was not interesting enough to dig out “Eat A Peach” or whatever.
But if i run across a CD copy for 50 cents, sure, I may listen to it a couple times before it goes in my own library/museum.

wle

It’s modern enough (1988) that I never bought it on vinyl, but “Rattle and Hum” is another classic live “album.”

My older sister has a 3-sided Monty Python LP. I think it was “Matching Tie and Handkerchief.”

Ah, yeah, there was another one I forgot…

One of the best song openings I can recall in a looooooooong time.

I wasn’t that much of a CT fan, as a lot of CT’s stuff sounded too Beatle-y, but CT-LAB is a great album!

Is that Bonham’s son on drums? I vaguely recall he was subbing for a while, following in pop’s footsteps.

What Klipsch speakers did you have? I have a pair of Cornwalls.

It’s unfortunate. As the years go on, we build these collections of various things only to be faced with the same question you are facing.

If you watch some YouTube videos you will see that LED Zep music is really hard to play in real life. It’s nothing like thrash metal where it closely resembles noise.

Kinda like Sam Ash and other places that sell guitars, you’d often see a sign saying

Anyone caught playing "Stairway To Heaven" or "Dust In The Wind" will be severely beaten.

because everyone and his grandmother who was learning guitar would learn STH/DITW and play it incessantly. Worse than mall-style Christmas music, day in and day out.

My only problem with Led Zep is with the local classic rock station really. They think Led Zep only recorded like 3 songs. Over and over every day, same thing.

I love Led Zeppelin, though I haven't listened to them lately.

I used to listen to their entire catalog over and over again.

They don't have a single song that I don't like (on their studio albums.)

Just listened to Hot Dog.

Another must have record is Pink Floyd The Wall. This is an absolute masterpiece.

That’s one odd album, though.

I’d bounce from “What an awesome album!” to “meh.” to “What an awesome album!” to “meh.” to “What an awesome album!” to “meh.”, etc.

One of my vinyls that for me is a classic is Steely Dan’s Royal Scam studio album.