Banned again?

sorry to get off topic. benkie, your avatar displayed the "F" word. do you really think that the "F" word is mild or not vulgar?

Staying off topic... I can only answer for myself: I think the avatar was funny with a very mildly vulgar twist. I think that kind of mild vulgarity is perfectly appropriate for the audience. (CPF isn't aimed at 6 year olds, after all.)

whether it's appropriate or not is a matter of debate and i don't really care about that. i just wanted to know if benkie thought the "F" word was mild or not vulgar.

and whether appropriate or not, if it is by your definition "mildly vulgar" it does break one of CPF's rules and also one of the few rules that BLF has - no swearing or dirty language.

I just want to add that I absolutely LOVE this kind of moderation. I prefer a family friendly environment as my kids are always over my shoulder while I'm on the various forums, and I really appreciate not having to hide anything from them. And even taking the family angle out of it, I have no desire to read/see obscene content. So I greatly appreciate forums that put some filter on member accepted behavior.

The profane avatar deserved a ban, it would get banned on numerous forums. But gcbryan did not deserve the treatment he received.

CPF is still down...

Wot he said! +1

I'll take CPF seriously after they wipe everything and start over with new software, hardware, hoster, everything for both forums. Most of the time neither work any more.

Rich

Yeah CPF is up but the Marketplace is now down. I'm able to see that I have a message pending but I just can't read it :)

After all the drama of yesterday the underlying issue (which we all know) is just that there is no evidence of there being any human beings behind all the moderation.

I received a one line message from Greta but there is nothing human about it. The messages that she and DM51 (and other moderators) post don't reveal that there is an actual human being behind the statements.

I've never seen any of them crack a joke or reveal anything about their personalities (in a positive way). It's always lecturing, punishing or admonishing.

I'd like to see Greta sell the site to most anyone. The changes would have to be positive.

I was banned from CPF once for "arguing with a MOD or admin" (I think it was the same guy mentioned numerous times here who did it). No good reason for it at all. I just said I didn't think something was handled well concerning a dispute between two other members that didn't involve me. That was enough to bring an 8-day ban. Oh well.

I seldom go there anymore. Apparently, some have little experience running a forum and have never heard of penalty points or simply sending a PM to stop this or that unwanted behavior. Honestly, that and the clique-ish snottiness of some is enough to make me want to stay away.

I was cranky the other day, when they likes of benkie coudn't see or take responsibility when he was a 100% responsible for his banning, he comes here like looking to blame his situation on anyone except himself. He comes here looking for support and sympathy of his bad behaviour, his supporters are just as bad.

My faith in BLF is at least partly restored by the more mature members (not talking a number here) who have the good sense to see the true situation.

"A little brat"? Site rule #1.

+1 what Nautic said,

don't be a hypocrite... and don't bring over CPF attitude, keep that where it belongs....

If you really don't like these posts on BLF Southern Aurora, then please tell me why you ended up in this thread once again?

Time for a ban I gather :slight_smile:

Apologies for my indiscretion.

I'll edit my post.

I wasn't aware of CPF until I joined here, neither am I a member, but have been guilty of occasionally browsing.

I returned because I realised I had generalised and lumped all members together, if you read my post completley I felt I owed certain members an apology. Rest assured I won't be back

The deal with CPF is that they run such a tight ship that people want to act like a jerk sometimes just to let off a little steam.

Here we are polite by choice and don't need to act like a jerk but it one so chooses one can do that here to for a while anyway until they get it out of their system. It just does impress anyone here very much so it gets old rather quickly.

I'd like to ask a somewhat off topic question and somewhat on topic I suppose. For anyone who is Australian and who is knowledgeable of American culture as well. Would you say that behavior/language/whatever that is acceptable to most Australians might in some cases be considered crud/rude to most Americans?

For instance take the guy selling the flashlights out of China who is Australian. He got off to a bad start initially by being pretty direct, a little short-tempered, and not particularly well mannered. I didn't really get the feeling that he thought he was being as rude as others found him to be.

One person might just consider that they weren't "putting on airs" and were "telling it like it is" and another might consider that same behavior to be a bit rude. Maybe another Australian wouldn't find his behavior rude at all.

Are there some Australians out there qualified to answer this question? By the way, I'm not picking on that particular guy just using him as an example.

I've met a few Australians and I can't answer that question just by the few I've met but I do know a bit of the culture and I think in general it might be a bit rough around the edges in some cases as viewed by an American.

On the other hand, it's a big country and not everyone is the same of course. The U.S. is a big country as well and there certainly are plenty of people here who are "rough around the edges" as well :)

We got site rules?

Respectfully, you may not have heard your children saying these words, but if they are over 6, they not only know these words but what they mean too.

I personally don't mind a colorful word or phrase.

I respect your right not to read or see obscene content, but I vote to leave it alone.

Time for a ban I gather :slight_smile:

[/quote]

No no no! Use arguments not name-calling.

Let's not run off members for no good reason, especially over things that don't even relate to flashlights. Southern Aurora, you are welcome to your opinion. So are others. If those opinions are at odds, don't waste too much effort over convincing others to agree with you. Agree to disagree and move on.

I have to follow-up with my earlier comments. I’ve had a change of heart (some what) regarding CPF and specifically regarding DM51. I have received several PM’s now and especially in the last one I can see that he has been very reasonable (which was unexpected).
In my last exchange with him I politely unloaded a lot of my “issues” with CPF and to an extent with him in the past. I finally got a response from someone at CPF that sounded like it came from a real human being and not just one who is always right or who has a finger sticking in my face :slight_smile:
I won’t go into details regarding a private PM but I have to say that I think the way to deal with CPF when there is an issue is via polite PM’s. Not that overall policy is going to suddenly change but anything that is unreasonable probably will be corrected if you communicate with them in such a way that they can work with you and not look like an idiot. In other words don’t call them a “lier” and then expect a lot in return. :slight_smile:
(I hope we can figure out how to get paragraph breaks back…I could do it up until midday today)

me to ! after all we are grown men collecting torches Wink

as a Dad i believe young children should not be on the internet unsupervised and information they see or read and use should be pre-read let,s face it the internet is a twisted place due some sicko,s and most kid,s before reading age already know these words, since you kind of had to go out of your way to read my OLD avatar and because I'm an Aussie with out my nickers in a not i found it funny and so did a few others.

YES (as in the avatar)

but it depend,s on the context.

i disagree on our local forum,s you would not get a ban for it and if there was a problem a mod would contact you first then if the problem could not be sorted then there might be a ban, the mod,s on CPF would have a heart attack if they seen us guys on our local Australian RC forums

there might be some who think the ban was not for the avatar there is some who think it was my opinion is i dont really care i kind of found it funny both avatar and the ban. I'm sorry i just cant take this serious i think some are taking it way to serious and need to get out of the house more, it was only taking the piss (a joke) as i feel CPF is a joke....

maybe its a cultural thing most Australians are lay-ed back, like to joke around take the piss a bit, i have worked with many guys from the USA and i really think they spun out on how we talked to each other and how we joked around and carried on while happly working with other Australians, i dont think they knew how to take us, but after a while we understood each other and the cultural defences even though we all talked English there was a language and cultural barriers.

as for Southern Aurora i think your well suited to CPF and since you have stated you dont like it here and want your account deleted, i wish you all the best mate, but since your last few post here have been whinging about our CPF post and it looks like you have been trolling, as a friendly reminder you would get banned on CPF for that.

its time to build a bridge people Wink