Banned again?

To be fair to Benckie, an innocent child wouldn't recognize the F word in the avatar if he doesn't know about it in the first place. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of adult members here will not recognize it without being pointed out to them.

That said Benckie that was a smart ass baiting stunt and deserves a warning at least or a suspension, like what the mod did.

I have heard "The S-h Word" is not considered offensive in Australia? Is that true? Somewhat how "fan-y" is not considered offensive at all in the USA, but is considered shocking in the UK? Or how "darn" is perfectly acceptable in the US, but "dam-" is offensive, even though they mean the same thing? Or how "gosh" is seen as perfectly fine, even in churches, but g-d uttered profanely is offensive--however, they mean the same thing (even looking it up in the dictionary), same with "geez" and "Je-us"?

After learning a 2nd language fluently, I realized that non-religious profanity is so arbitrary. For instance, the name of Russian president (dictator?), "Putin" is a very offensive word for a female body part in another commonly-spoken language (at least one). I wonder how they mention him on the nightly news? (I'm not there anymore.)

I realized it's merely someone telling you to be offended at certain words, and you agreeing. I like to throw in a colorful word occasionally, but a very close relative of mine would be so offended at that, that they were pretty willing to essentially fracture our relationship over it. They would often immediately stop talking to me, or at very least break the flow of conversation to protest over the "F word". To this person, clinging to the "social programming" of acting offended each time the word was uttered, was more important than anything--even a relationship with a close family member, even if it was an accident. The "word" itself was offensive, not necessarily the meaning behind it. 'Having s-x' was "acceptable", yet "f-'ing" was offensive. Arbitrarily. Even "freak" or "fre-king" was okay to this person, though it has the same root/etymology!

People need to stop passing down this programming to their children. Banning a word, or putting societal pressure to curtail its use, only usually makes the word more powerful anyway. It's like banning drugs. The "solution" doesn't solve anything, and creates new problems which are many, many times worse than the original problem. Programming your children to take offense at arbitrary things (like one "good" word versus another "bad" word with the same meaning) teaches them it's okay to be irrational, to act upon brainwashing AKA social conditioning. I suggest teaching them to think rationally, critically, teach them TRUE principles, and let them make good decisions as well as mistakes too. Programming is the opposite of critical thinking. "Just because" or "because it's wrong" is a nothing explanation, because daddy really doesn't know why either, or can't explain why, but is perfectly convinced he's right.

I refrain from such language here (or masking words if I feel the need) because that is the single, sole, unique request I have seen our "moderator" (more like a site owner) make--ever. And his concern seemed entirely practical: that of not being put on "family filter" blacklists, so the site could be as popular and accessible as possible. (I've seen many innocent sites blocked at work by word-harvesting [and usually politically biased] robots, so I know what he means.) But if people would just drop arbitrary programming, we wouldn't need to worry about GOOD sites being banned by automatic content filters. You may think I'm a dreamer. But hey, this is how big ideas happen.

Sorry for the long, semi-topical post, but all the worthless offense, prudishness, controversy, and energy wasted over arbitrary things really goaded me to share the thought welling inside when the topic surfaced. I hope you understand. I'd like to see the programmed-to-be-offended--just-because keep their energy in reserve for the truly worthy battles.

I know what you are saying, brjones, but unfortunately whether something is offensive or not, is never left up to the offender. It is up to the receiver. So you can't declare that what you are saying is not offensive, nor can you really dictate who should be offended or not. This is just something you don't get to control. So instead you have to accept the norms of others and behave appropriately. That's how society works. It's part of the compromises we need to make to get along with each other. It's like with sexual harrassment. It's okay to tell a dirty joke as long as nobody who hears it is offended. But if they are offended, now it is sexual harrassment. Same joke, the only difference is how it is received. Easy solution: don't tell dirty jokes at work.

You can still say people are prudish or whatever if you want, but it doesn't get you anywhere. I know people who will say they didn't like a movie because of all the bad language and I didn't even notice the bad language. To me the language sets up the character, the mood, etc. and is an important part of the movie and I don't care if it's colorful as long as it works. I think people can miss out by being too sensitive to language.

Since this is a flashlight discussion board, I generally don't see any need for profanity. However, if you're really frustrated with a light and you want to get that across, I can see where a few choice words will help make your point.

Profanity does little to advance ones cause (particularly in writing) and can be used as a crutch for a limited vocabulary or even as a substitute for thinking. In person it’s OK but a little goes a long way. Who is more likely to use curse in every sentence the thug who tried to take your life or the doctor who tried to save it? Which group do you identify with?

I agree gcbryan that profanity is "usually" used as a crutch. Even to the point a person's unaware of their use of it (Ozzy Osbourne). However, after learning my language skillfully, I find good use for the flair and efficient emphasis profanity can add, particularly in informal communication. Just like I know that "ain't" isn't considered grammatically correct, yet I deliberately choose to use grammatical errors to stylistically nuance a point ("It ain't me, dude!"). From experience, I think it's important to learn grammatical and stylistic norms at first, but when achieved, I think it's also important to break them in creative ways, to deliver a point more effectively, and in a way which expresses one's personality. I could probably use more of that myself in the stodgy/exact writing style I use on this forum!

brted, yeah. I know you're right. I think I'm right too, I think we're both right. You can't decide what will offend people. But I've found you can reason with (some) people. When I discussed my relative's willingness to possibly destroy our relationship over an occasional expletive, just for the purpose of maintaining a mental program, it caused serious reflection in that person who is extremely not-prone to self-reflection. Problem is not completely solved yet, but it's less bad. Being offended, in many circumstances, is a choice, particularly where there is no tangible harm done or even ill will expressed. I've had a few flashlights get offended at me, too. But they started it.

I agree of course. It just generally comes off better in person when used sparingly than when used in written form if you F’ing know what the F I’m talking about :slight_smile:

Sh#t is not really consider offensive here in w.a, (in our local forums i would not use # i would use the full word) you will hear it on the t.v and radio and very common just about in every work force and on the street plus other more colourful ones while i might not agree with this, its there and i will keep my daughter away from some people, coworkers and places because of it.

"fan-y" is considered rude here as its not there rear end its the front lower region of a woman, dam is nothing, but if you hang out with truck drivers you will not hear the word gosh or dam it will be more like "well truck me" (just swap the t for an f)

while i think swearing is a sign of the lack of education and i don't like when ladies do it, but i do it, i work with people who do it but i also pick my times, places and people you do it around and in some context,s i find it funny and there is a unsaid law you never say the C word in front of a girl, or woman.

i say there is a big cultural difference here to other countries and the world is going down the tube but colourful language will really depend on who you are where you work and if you have any religious beliefs

Thanks for confirming that. I have to ask you. When we repeat over and over in the news, about the trouble with our quasi-governmental home-loan organisations "Fannie Mae" and "Freddie Mac" (which are very much in trouble), how do they deal with it if it becomes news Down Under? Since, to Americans, we don't associate the word "fan*y" with any woman's body part (somehow we missed the program), but... actually... it is used as a NAME for women! No, like a real legal name! Fancy that! There's some irony. I've just always wondered what newscasters say, or whether they squirm, when these "offensive" words come up in their language, from a language where they're not offensive. I still gotta say "Putin" is the best one yet (not too far away from fan-nee in its meaning). Update: just looked it up. It seems the French have collectively decided to spell his name differently: Poutine! Yes, there is a translation in the English-French dictionary for Put*n!

no problem, my orgignal post was much longer and in more detail but i could imagoin the sh#t storm that would follow so i cut the guts out of it lolls.

well to be honest it does not come up in our news, maybe is sbs world news but i have not seen it or have not heard it talked about, the only place i would imagoin it popping up is shows like news week that rip,s the piss out of the world new,s its a comedy that makes a big joke out of world news with stuff like that.

the usa is not always popular down under with every one and im sure it is the same there and i bet the local Aussie news will not make it to you guys in the usa.

while we are talking about cultural difference the movie's from australia that make it to the usa are some times edited to make them more understandible to the US market by charging words and slang and for the record you will never hear an Aussie say throw another shrimp on the barby or you will never see a true Aussie drink fosters beer lolls

I guess I'm not that intelligent because I like to swear.

Here's a paraphrased quote from Beavis & Butthead Do America.

Beavis: "So girls have a front fanny hehe?.hehe..hmm..I'll be damned!"

if my boss ask's me to work saterdays i say truck off (swap the t for an f) and he calls me a slack c$%t

And people will still try to rip him a new one for daring to ask about a flashlight on a flashlight discussion board. Getting a budget light to work the way it is supposed to is half the fun.

brjones, I'm sorry but most parents here in the USA still cringe when they here another adult use foul language in front of their kids. I know I do. General rule of thumb here is that any words you typically hear on the evening news are OK to use in polite company.

Besides that., It's hard to take your comments seriously when reading about chemtrails in your sig

dude, have you ever been to America?

The bottom line regarding profanity is that it’s not supposed to be mainstream or it loses its effect. If you use it indiscriminately what’s the point. It’s just lowering the standards of everyday speech and limiting everyones vocabulary.

if you've never even visited then what are you basing your accusations on? are you basing it on what you've seen on the news? on interactions you've had on forums like this? are you really judging an entire country of 300 million people on just that?

i've spent many years outside of the US, have met and spent significant time with people from all over the world, and the one thing that i can attest to is that you don't really know anyone until you've actually spent some time with them in the real world.

Gorann, which conflict are you referring to? Which “aar” are we involved in where our “supremacy” would be at stake if we were not involved?

Robo, good point! I started this thread due to a ridiculous situation over at CPF. Yet, at the moment I have a much different view of DM51 than I did before or than many of you have now. I haven’t met him but have an entirely different view than I did before the more personal contact of several PM’s going back and forth. Real world contact is even more valuable of course. Gorann you do have some rather black and white views regarding the U.S. Surely you must appreciate that it’s just a stereotype.

Has any one here watched an American movie or T.V show ? i watched a bit of Dexter last night 20 bad words in 45 mins, but thats cool i would not watch it with my kid's.

I've been banned from every forum I go to, sooner or later I always fly off the handle and get banned. Ya I'm a bad person...