battery resistance meter

I think accuracy is not the problem …for me. Though I don’t have a certified calibrated instrument to compare it with to verify the accuracy. The problem I have is repeatability, which, of course impacts accuracy. In all honesty, I am not that concerned as I use the IR measurements derived from any of this class of chargers as a rough indicator of battery health. IOW, I only really pay attention when there are larger changes in cell IR over time. For this use case, the MC3000 works fine. I have come to just accept the deficiencies.
But, having been an engineer and having part of my career deeply involved in metrology, I would prefer to have something “better” . With not only good accuracy, but good repeatability. Even better if it was calibrated and traceable to standards. But that is not likely to happen for what I want to spend, so I will have to relegate those criteria to my wish list.

Anyway, maybe this makes clear why I am interested in finding a decent stand alone 4 wire test system that is both accurate and offers repeatability within a percent or two. (and which I can afford). This looked like a good thread to get info on finding something…

But now we are discussing the MC3000. ??

https://www.amazon.com/T-king-Precision-Handheld-Internal-Resistance/dp/B08533PSDW/ref=pd_vtp_h_pd_vtp_h_d_sccl_3/146-5728739-1555941?pd_rd_w=wPIL7&content-id=amzn1.sym.e16c7d1a-0497-4008-b7be-636e59b1dfaf&pf_rd_p=e16c7d1a-0497-4008-b7be-636e59b1dfaf&pf_rd_r=TFVDX100AYKY21NFK4GP&pd_rd_wg=2Tul8&pd_rd_r=c48807fc-a2c1-4a1b-9a80-8a6c4090c7b6&pd_rd_i=B08533PSDW&th=1

This one looks interesting. Especially as it comes with a fixture for cylindrical cells. I see that the fixture is described as being for several '650 cells. So it is hard to know whether 21700 cells would fit without someone verifying this… Then there the other things I have listed that are at least questionable in the absence of testing.

1 Thank

I use the ZH-YU ZB206+ and 4-wire Test Stand Battery Holder
You can get a setup for less than a dedicated IR tester, AND use it to test capacity.

FWIW, I have 3 different ‘decent’ analyzing testers that have IR function. Over time I got a bit frustrated with repeatability for both capacity and IR. The cell holder-slider mechanism is not great for that purpose.
The ZB206 and holder are MUCH more repeatable. I ascribe at least some accuracy to that, but I don’t have pro grade tools to compare with.

I have noted an oddity about IR. Some of my AAA will show some very consistent IR readings, that don’t seem to correlate appropriately with either capacity OR current capability. These are quite small cells and generally develop high IR within a couple/few years of regular use. Mostly the IR goes up, often a LOT, and capacity comes down along with current support. Occasionally I get one with a high IR that has better than average capacity and current compared to it’s ‘siblings’…and occasionally one will have what seems an IR like a brand new cell, but does not perform well at all.
This behavior seems to be more common in these small cells.

1 Thank

Here is a discussion/review of the 3563:

Sounds reasonable. I may just try one.

2 Thanks

Another test:

It shows more variability than I like, but repeated tests after the initial ones are close enough.
Actually, if you take the maximum deviation, the MC3000 is not that much worse.

Thanks much for this. I have seen this kind of setup and it is interesting. Having an external power supply and bare board it is not very portable. If I had a dedicated place for testing, it would be great. Honestly, I want something more portable. something self contained. Something I can put in its case and store until needed for doing some measurements quickly. Or easily take to a remote location for testing.

Again thanks for the suggestion.

@Mandrake50 -

I would agree that this is at risk of turning into a bit of a pointless, circular (and off-topic) discussion, and I’m starting to get dizzy:-) Sorry if I contributed to that.

I’ve spent many decades routinely / constantly using, and at times caring for the maintenance / cal of electronic test equipment of all types that cost somewhere between a month and a year’s salary+ for me (which fortunately I didn’t have to purchase myself). I don’t claim to know much, I’ve just been trying to learn for a long time! Sounds like we both have an adequate understanding of ‘accuracy’, although our personal standards for testing our flashlight cells may differ, as accuracy is relative, and depending on application, can be subjective. That’s not an issue for either of us. We each have our personal requirements, and that’s natural. I’m trying to stick to objective stuff as much as possible.

I had no desire to bring the MC3000 into the discussion, but did so in post 13 solely because it was being implied by others that all of the ‘charger/analyzers’ generally in use are inherently inaccurate. I provided that reference to the MC3000 test simply to point out that, depending on one’s personal requirements and standards, that is not entirely correct, and they are far from being ‘all created equal’. HKJ demonstrated what he considered to be ‘very good’ accuracy in that example, and I am in agreement, in the context of this application; up until relatively recent firmware changes by the manufacturer apparently blew that completely out of the water. I consider that to be an out of bounds condition induced by the manufacturer into a mature product rather than an intrinsic performance limitation anyway, and definitely a subject for a different thread (where that matter is already under discussion, as you know). I would not have mentioned that unit otherwise, as it is not directly relevant to the OP. That said, accuracy is somewhat subjective, and our standards for this application can (and perhaps do) vary, but not due to a lack of understanding of and experience with highly accurate test equipment, but rather our perception of the requirements in this case.

I likewise also asked a question regarding, and linked to information regarding, the Vapcell charger; because it was introduced into the conversation by another party, and I had a question regarding it - which I guess is still outstanding.

I believe you brought into the discussion(?) the consistency / repeatability of IR measurements w/ the MC3000, and I responded by volunteering to provide test results concerning that from my MC3000 unit (which I was already planning to post before this thread was started), and thus I will do so, but will post that in the relevant MC3000 thread and link to that in this thread. Like absolute accuracy, consistency can be and in this case may be also subjective. Such things should usually viewed in the context of the requirements of an application, and not in general absolute terms. Perfection is generally not an option. I will document the consistency I observe with my unit, and everyone can / will have their own opinion on the adequacy of that for the purpose. I’d be interested in your opinion of it, and perhaps in the context of the relative performance of your particular unit(s); although not in this thread.

I’d greatly prefer to get back to providing the info that I told the OP several days ago I would provide to them, and stay on the topic of these unit(s) the OP inquired about. A number of users have expressed interested in such devices and posted links to them now, so clearly there is great interest. I still need to further check some info on the suggested devices before posting that.

I believe there exists significant misperceptions / misunderstanding on the part of some regarding exactly what most (if not all) of these units are, what they are not, how they work, and how / why all that absolutely affects the efficacy of their use by people for testing their flashlight cells. I believe I can perhaps provide some enlightening information, which will likely come as a surprise to some, and therefore may be helpful to others. I want those interested to understand the results they will / would get from these devices, and decide whether or not they actually want to measure what these devices actually measure, or if in fact they might instead prefer to measure something different, and therefore something else might better serve their needs.

I’d like to fully explain the statement I made earlier, as I feel that would be a better use of our time, and the reasons behind that statement are a bit complex and require explanation:

As a prelude to that, w/o details (which many may not be interested in): The standalone testers referenced in this thread, vs most of the charger / analyzers on the market (Opus, SkyRC, etc.), do not actually measure the same thing, although the confusing terms used to describe them, even by their manufacturers, might easily cause some to assume that they do. They measure what they measure in different ways, they produce different measurements (although both are in Ohms), and their results in testing cells / batteries are not directly comparable. To quote HKJ’s review of the Vapcell YR1030 tester: “When used to measure resistance it will give same value as an ordinary DMM except for much better resolution at low values. On batteries the value cannot be compared to the values chargers measure…”. The measurements from such standalone testers likely also will not correlate with data published for cell testing at lygte and perhaps other similar resources (in case that matters). On the other side of that coin however, measurements from such testers likely may / will correlate with some cell specifications provided by some cell manufacturers / suppliers (in case that is a priority for you). Both are useful and relevant, but serve different needs. They are, therefore not completely interchangeable where cell testing is concerned, and it very much matters which type you decide to use; it all depends on what you’re trying to use the info for / accomplish with it. There also exists no direct constant or conversion factor to reconcile / convert between those 2 types of results. Some will need to understand this for a purchase decision. Some may very well elect to use both types of equipment, but they too will need to understand the differences if they do, and be prepared for the fact that the results will not agree and likely won’t even be very close to each other, with the results for these testers likely being considerably lower values than those from the ‘charger / analyzers’ referenced. I believe I can help clarify all of that, if anyone’s interested in that info. If anyone has a specific question about anything in this post, feel free to ask, as there may be a short / simple answer without getting too far into the weeds (and these weeds can get pretty deep).

One other important note. I haven’t finished looking through all the linked equipment in this thread, but just to clarify: When I refer to standalone testers like many referenced in this thread, by any description / ‘name’, I’m referring specifically to testers which exclusively use a test source of an AC 1 kHz sine wave signal to perform their measurements. That may or may not apply to / include all the devices being referenced here.

1 Thank

well I think I’ll get another S4 plus V3.0 with the money I wanted to invest in a “cheap” battery resistance meter

got P28A , P42A on 11/11 AX sale , given what my current S4 plus v3.0 measures (surprised quite consistent across all 4 slots), I’ll just add that IR offsets from MFG data specs to those cells.

1 Thank

I use LQ1060S(RC3563’s sibling?) for all our tests. 2.5yr old unit is surprisingly reliable, even though it runs on built-in rechargeable battery. Meter is super convenient to use imo, but 4000* series battery will be harder to measure because of the probe length. I would most probably be getting get a space unit for 2024. Hopefully, there is an upgraded version with a much more robust PC shell and removeable battery design.

I will be very interested in your results. I subscribe to (I think) all of the MC3000 threads here, so hopefully I will see your post. If I don’t respond, please send me a PM so I don’t miss it.

Good points on the AC resistance checking versus what I believe is DC IR checks on the typical charger/analyzer. I ordered one of the 3563 units. I will keep that in mind. I am curious to see how the repeatability is when using the included fixture. Though it will take a while to gain experience with the meter and build up a database so that I can do comparisons. Both with the MC3000 and same cell measurements over time and usage.

2 Thanks

Thank you for that, because although it’s a matter I have a good understanding of and have carefully considered (for my own purposes), you have reminded me that it is something I need to add that to a list of things I intend to address in my next post in this thread.

Yes with any of the charger/analyzers contact cleanliness, battery positioning and tension on the contacts (especially over time with springs that can change) are all factors that conspire to make consistency difficult.

Both with the MC3000…

That’s the part I believe you will find rather disappointing from a value perspective; but It will however be fun to play with :wink:

Regarding the aforementioned results of my little ‘consistency / repeatability’ test, I will post a link to it in this thread. Were I not dealing with a sore finger, that would have already been done!

I wasn’t yet aware of other MC3000 threads here. I’m relatively inexperienced with this system, but sounds like I should learn to ‘subscribe’ to threads here!

1 Thank

If you use the search you can find a few:

2 Thanks

All of the above, certainly. I believe that reference was also addressing the fundamental matter of 4- vs 2-point / wire resistance measurements. While that is absolutely a valid / important consideration, I believe that some many fail to prioritize it correctly given all the considerations involved in the practical choice of what to use for routine cell testing - such as other fundamental criteria, such as exactly what property / parameter is being measured in the first place, which I believe is an even higher priority. I will explain that comment at some point soon.

1 Thank

Wow! Looks like I not only have a lot of typing to do, but a lot of reading as well!! That’s OK. I come here to learn.

1 Thank

The SKyRc Mc3000 thread is probably the best one to use for what you want to do.

@Mandrake50

BTW, I have a small favor to ask, for after you receive your impedance meter / tester. I’ve done a fair bit of studying (elsewhere) of late to expand my impedance measuring experience / knowledge with info specifically regarding Li-ion cells, which I know very little about, relatively speaking. I’ve done RF and audio apps, etc., but never cells / batts.

Something I haven’t run across / don’t have (surprisingly) but would very much like to is this: One example of a simple, same cell, A-B comparison of measured cell DCIR (like your MC3000 provides [and please use that just because I have one ‘like it’]) vs measured cell impedance @ 1kHz (like your new gadget likely provides). Since there is no constant or conversion factor I can use to compare the 2 numbers (which will also vary by cell type), it requires that someone measure it for me. The relationship will likely vary with the size (and perhaps type) of the cell.

It would be particularly nice if you could get those 2 numbers for 2 different cells. Ideally 1 should be an 18650, and the other should be a smaller cell, such as a 16340 or 14500. It would be good if they’ve been fully charged to 4.20V, but then allowed to settle a bit to their initial, stable resting voltage, just as good practice since the DCIR test puts load pulses on the cell. EDIT: You’ll want to use the same MC3000 slot for both tests as well.

If you would be so kind, I’d greatly appreciate that info. Besides, I know you’ll be looking for an excuse to play with it anyway:-)

I just now noticed this post, but…

It is a little ironic that this thread is about IR testing, and HKJ’s only beef(?) w/ the S4 was regarding that. However, this very well might be the best way for you to go even given that. Since the discrepancy he noted was fairly constant, and the readings it provided were consistent, your use of an offset to correct for the issue sounds OK. Having 2 units of the same type and thus having all your measurements comparable with each other would also be a major advantage in itself.

Do be cautious about one thing though (no matter what device you’re using).

" …MFG data specs…

Note my previous comment that one possible advantage to using one of these impedance meters being discussed might be comparability with some manufacturer specs, who have increasingly begun to specify ‘Internal Impedance’ (aka ACIR, aka 1kHz resistance, and others). rather than the more traditional DCIR, like the S4 measures. So regardless of what device one uses, to compare with mfg. specs first requires that one is measuring the same parameter. Then assuming you are, if your unit has an error offset, that can be applied. I think I’ve read that different manufacturers / suppliers or providing specs which specify either one or the other, and some are providing both. I haven’t really checked around, but apparently it varies at this time. Be sure to check, and they also use differing terminology / designations, just to make things more confusing.

Also important to keep in mind that it is yet unknown whether or not changes have been made to recent revisions (like V3, or whatever) which would correct that issue with the earlier model. I posed the question earlier in this thread, but I don’t think it’s been answered. If changes have been made / the issue corrected, the correction factor you mentioned may not be needed or appropriate, so keep that in mind.

Hope that makes sense. Let me know if it doesn’t.

2 Thanks