Beam Shots are up - Modifying a 109 LED flashlight to an 18 XP-G2 FETlight

Interested To see how it comes out

Digging up my darkest sunglasses now :sunglasses:

Phil

Mod is done. It's kinda pukey weak and wasn't worth the mod or the money. Only 15 amps on high, so a lot less than an amp per led. Probably less bright than a good SRK.

Oh well, live and learn.

Perhaps someone could machine an extended or wider tube for it. Get a little more amperage coursing through that beast?

OL. Should you decide to continue with this project and want to send me a piece of glass I would cut out a lens for you. No problem for the OMAX.

Sorry to hear it. 15A should have given you a lot more than 3K lumens. And I don’t know how you can tell the difference, eye-ball, between 3,000 lumens and 2,500 lumens. Could it be that your starting point is actually much higher?

Sounds like you need one of these to quantify the results: The Legendary BLF Integrating Sphere starts here! (Delivered)

As to salvaging the project, is it possible that the LED’s are being underdriven? I’d suggest cutting half the LED’s off and checking the output with just 9 LED’S. Just a thought, anyway.

I think 15amps is pretty good off one battery! I was hoping it would give the 18a too but I had doubts.

So if one will do 15A, how about 3s? If you set the noctigon for series drive and wired em 3s6p, zener mod the driver for 3 cells, and get a tube to hold it together... holy cow! That would be pushing 400W!

Am I way off course here?

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/39131/2

Beam Shots

Maybe more than 3,000 lumens.

@1dash1 - Yes, my lumens are guesstimates. Yes, I should have an IS, but if I can't buy a proper one, with all the calibration software, etc., then I don't want one. Especially not a home made one that guesstimates the lumens. It's probably more like 4500 lumens on start up, after actually seeing it outside tonight. When I said 3000, it was inside the garage and that's too enclosed to really guess by eye.

@ Turningbluechips - I don't even want to think about the possibilities with a water jet. It's scary cool. Thanks for the offer. I will try to remember that.

As far as more mods to this light, the idea was to see what could be done with a cheap shower head, single cell light light and I think that part worked out. It wasn't ever meant to be a monster as such. I've done enough of them already. Overall, it was just something to do and something to take my mind off the health issues going on right now, but it didn't work all that well. Just depressed lately... Soon, I will be tied up with operations and hopefully, recoveries, so modding will be just a memory for a long while to come.

From a single cell light, I’d say that is pretty decent :slight_smile:

All the best with the health issues.

maybe… going MORE “nuts” and doubling down on it would help… i was thinking because of the many, many powerful emitters? it would benefit from a 4x26650, a-la, home made SRK style?

i am thinking “bigger soda can light” since that many big emitters is already a slap in the face to the SRK manufacturers, lol…

good luck with the operations and recovery!

Nice build O-L. Eventually, a cell will come out that can do this light justice. Until then, it’s still a very sweet light.

Best wishes on the operations and rapid recovery. Even if you don’t mod for a bit, please visit when you can. This place isn’t the same without you.

Pretty cool light. I guess on a single cell this one really calls for some kind of clever boost driver to maintain output, rather than full bore direct drive. But very interesting and the beam shots look good for it. :slight_smile:

Well I still think it’s an awesome mod. It really got me pondering some things. Thanks for the inspiration OL and I wish you the best.

Looks plenty bright to me! Best of luck with the saw bones.

best of luck to you, old lumens… your like royalty around here, you know…

i hope the doctors complete your “warranty work” okay, we cant GET another “old lumens”, they dont make that model anymore!

Best wishes on the operations and recovery, your definately an inspiration bud.

Though the ‘numbers’ may not be what you were looking for, the beamshots look nice for a general-purpose light so it’s a win anyway. You certainly have a different approach to lights which always ends up being interesting! Best wishes on the health issues,

Phil

Cool mod! Looks bright for sure.

Can you fit 2x 18650’s in there? Couple of 30Q’s might do it justice. What about adapting a Courui D01 body on that head for 3x 30Q’s in parallel?!