Beamshots of 7 Throwers

Brother and I decided to do some more beamshots. We hunted down a water tower to shoot at this time. The distance for both the camera and the lights was about 440m (481yd). We did 10 lights, but at that distance only 7 were lighting the tower up good enough to bother posting up. And a couple of them are even pushed too make it. The first set, the camera is zoomed in slightly, perhaps 6x zoom. The 2nd set was taken at about 12x zoom to get past those trees better and to avoid the blinding flood some of the lights have.
The lights were the SR90 (dedomed) tested 195K, the TN31 tested 126K, BTU CW tested at 125K, 7G5 tested at 62K, M3C4 tested at 57K, HD2010 tested at 53K, and SR51 tested at 50k. And we did a control shot for each set.
The camera is a Fujifilm S2940wm. Settings were manual, ISO 200, 1.5sec., aperture 5.6. To me this setting is slightly dimmer than what we saw in person. They lights looked just a little brighter in real life, but this is fairly close. And we are still learning at this, so I apologize for any quality issues. And camera setting suggestions are welcome.
Oh and lastly, apparently the control ring was down a little on the M3C4 on the more distant shots - it was obviously weaker than it should have been. We got it on true high for the zoomed shot.
So this is the first, zoomed in just slightly. Anyway, here they go -

CONTROL

SR90(dedomed)

TN31

BTU CW

7G5

M3C4

HD2010

SR51

And here is the 2nd set. Zoomed in a good amount to see truly what is lit up on the tower. Same order and same settings other than optical zoom. Here they are -

Control

SR90(dedomed)

TN31

BTU CW

7G5

M3C4

HD2010

SR51

Thank you for the comparison! Maybe do some beamshots from 200m next time, I think differences will be much clearer as 440m is close to the limit of these lights.

Great shots!

that is a perfect target - it seems easy to tell the difference between the lights because of the dark lettering on light background

geat shots fronty . some pictures failed to open on my pc.i tired refreshing a few times :cowboy_hat_face:

I just downed sized the photos some. They should pull up easier now.

works perfect now :wink:
i made this for you sir :cowboy_hat_face:

Those turned out pretty dang good I think.

Great job.

well ,the DRY driver in the BTU should get its throw past the sr90 ?

Very useful pictures, thanks.

Would an XIN CD C8 U3 have shown up at all?

I know it isn’t a great thrower, I’m just trying to learn if it is seen as a decent/adequate thrower for people who haven’t made a dedicated purchase yet, in search of a pure thrower.

I doubt it.

Shaquille Thanks! That helps for comparisons.
Yes a U3 C8 would show up, but it would be just under the Hd2010 I think. We tried a hard driven T6 C8 and it did get some light to the tower, but not much.
As for the BTU catching the SR90 - not likely. 125k for the BTU vs the 195k for the SR90 is a pretty big jump. Visually at this 440m they look fairly close, but they are more different then they seem. When you get to distances like this, the differences between throwers go down. For example the SR90 is likely putting about .8 lumens on the tower, where as the BTU and TN31 are putting .5 lumens or so. Those two numbers are not too far apart. But it takes that 70k difference to do that extra .3 lumen at that distance. I’ve noticed on my throwers, when you get in the longer distances (over 400m) they only go down about .1-.2 lumen ever hundred meters beyond that. So visually it doesn’t look drastically different from the BTU and TN31 vs the SR90, but the first two max out in the 700m range and my SR90 dedomed will do almost 900m.

Nice gifs Shaquille. Which program did you create them with?

comparing a dedomed ST90 to the rest which AFAIK are bone stock doesn’t tell the entire true picture if the original intent is to show how they perform against one another at especially this distance. I think it’s only appropriately fair to point this out clearly above each pic when a particular light has been modified so that others aren’t inadvertantly misled otherwise when they’re looking at making a decision towards purchase.

Thanks for sharing. Nice pics. :)

Again some nice long distance shots. Thanks for the effort.

It’s a little far for some of the lights. I think a target in the 300m range might be worth a try too. And I think we need to try just a slightly lighter exposure to match true life.

The spill of the BTU is amazing considering the throw.

i enjoyed these beamshots thanks.
yup the spill to the btu is pretty good while it still throws a good amount. i wished you had a tk70 and the 75 up in the mix

We’re planning to add a tk75 to our collection in the next couple weeks. Along with a TN31mb already ordered. So for sure we will be doing more shots when those two big boys come in.