Beast drivers @ Kaidomain

3x MCE from 4x (crappy) LiFePO4 cells. Here's the latest test results in detail.

Why use crappy LiFePO4’s when awesome A123Systems 18650 cells can be had for just $2 - $2.5 each? :stuck_out_tongue:

hmm, well, I wanted to use 12V, so sounds unsuitable. My project uses active cooling...but there isn't room to mount this in the air path.

TJ, I agree, probably not worth any more time or effort.

But for anybody else stuck w/ this driver...

a copper reducer fitting w/ 1" ID on the larger side makes a perfect size pot (or just a section of 1" pipe). A reducer fitting looks like this (and you would probably want to cut off most or all of the smaller side).

I wouldn't recommend using more than 8.4 volts with 3 XMLs or you may run into problems similar to what techjunkie had.

Probably right. I have the 9 up version . If I ever get around to using this driver, it will probably be something automotive, so, I will pot it in one of those fittings and mount it to a cpu heatsink w/ 12V fan. Its hard to imagine it overheating after that...but maybe .

I'll be using TJ's nanjg sandwich recipe for my 9 xml battery/12V cord powered light.

Announcement: “Super SkyRay 3xT6 Edition-E” arrives in Boston

My former FryRay 3xT6 quickly became approximately 14 oz of useless aluminum and a few other non-functioning parts – and I was very disappointed. It was one of the first lights suggested by BLF members that I actually decided to buy and I considered it a significant investment. Little did I or others know that the solid original was to be altered to a version designed to burn out – almost to the point of taking on legendary negative status on the BLF.

Well – I’m extremely happy to report that the FryRay has been transformed into the “Super SkyRay 3xT6 Edition-E” and I’m very grateful and extraordinarily happy with the conversion from junk to a fantastic flashlight.

Since I began to check out the BLF (before joining), I’ve become more and more aware that buying flashlights from China can be a “crapshoot” and to expect anything from some of the sellers. I’ve also become aware of how knowledgeable and, in some cases, talented some of our members actually are. By the way, I definitely want to add “generous” to that list of attributes that I’ve encountered.

Anyway, one of my first Posts was a question regarding whether I was stuck with a piece of junk or not. I received two messages suggesting that with a little luck and a lot of help, I could actually end up with a working flashlight – and what a flashlight it is!

The “Master Craftsman/Technician/Magician” that created this unit said that “the thermal protection kicks in on high after about 4-5 minutes ….” That’s the part I read when I first skimmed the description (prior to receiving the unit) – and to be frank, I was a little disappointed. I took what E said to mean that the useful duration for the light was 4-5 minutes and I began to wonder whether it could use some heatsinking or whether the basic design of the host was doomed to a duration limitation of that type (unless at low setting). What I didn’t pay enough attention to was the rest of E’s statement wherein he added “…. and starts to ramp it down.”

Well I’m rather ecstatic to report that this thing is BRIGHT and it stays bright for a long, long time. I can hardly tell the difference between Medium and High and I had it on for a full 2 hours last night. In addition, the difference between High and Medium is slight enough that I’ve decided to get a light meter so that I can do some tests on all the flashlights I’ve accumulated since being transformed into a “flashaholic” by the good folks at the BLF.

By the way, after turning it off at the 2-hour mark, I took the 2600 mAh XTAR batteries out to find that they still read 3.66 volts! I have know idea how much longer the light would have remained bright, and right now, I am a happy camper! (Also significant is that it was quite warm – but not hot!)

I want to do a few more informal tests now that I have a DRY and a few other lights (including the 5 Emitter behemoth from TrustFire.). I may even take inspiration from the Master and try to learn how to work on (and perhaps even Mod) some flashlights on my own.

***P.S. I just tried the 2-hour test again but this time I used the TrustFire 3000mAh batteries. I’m a little disturbed because one of them read 3.64volts but the other read 3.46volts. Should I be worried? (probably – right?) I don’t remember who I bought them from – but I’ll check PayPal, etc and try to figure it out.

P. P.S. I wanted to use some Emoticons but didn’t know how - Bob

Today i want to built an 7x XML U2 MagLite mod, with the Kaidomain driver sku S020166.

At the first test i recognize that it had 5 modes ( with strobe and sos ) I dont´t like this modes.

I’ve got that driver and I plan to use it to mod a UniqueFire UF-S7 Cree XM-L U2 7-LED 5-Mode Flashlight

check out my thread if interested:
https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/9082