Bench Test Results: Molicel P45B - 50A 4500mAh 21700

Took over a month but they’re finally here:

From NKON, both at ~3.5V

1 Thank

You lucky … person. Just looked it up. According to the NKON website I’ll have to wait another 15 days before I get mine.

I don’t know how many you ordered?

I ordered just one with my last Nkon order on the 23rd of April and also back then it showed that was expected to be available on the 19th of May.
I was really surprised that when my package showed up (I believe the 26st of April) it already included a P45B! (While the website still showed the 19th of May)

I guess I got lucky then!

I posted this elsewhere but I’ll add it here as well:

I performed some quick “direct drive” tests with a few cells and the SFN55.2 LED. There was about 25cm of 14 AWG wire in the loop, + ~40mm of 18 AWG.

SFN55.2 on 20mm KD star @ 2 seconds, cells fresh off the charger:

Molicel P45B: 5770 lm, 34.6A
Samsung 30T: 5610 lm 33.4A
Vapcell T50 (Samsung 50S): 5480 lm, 30.7A
QB 26800: 5250 lm, 27.0A

Seems like the Molicel P45B can really crank out some amps.

7 Thanks

Good info.

Too bad that QB has the internal resistance that it does. Be nice if Samsung made like a “60S” 26800 but that’ll never happen.

The P45B’s I ordered just arrived. It took a bit more than a fortnight before they were in stock again.
And lo and behold: according to the NKON website they are atm. out of stock again!

True. But if you are not consumed with getting the last 5 percent of brightness, the far superior capacity more than makes up for it. Extra 30%+ of runtiime for 5% brightness… a trade I will take for many situations.

1 Thank

Plus now it’s a real self defense light lol. Things are heavy. Take the battery out and whip it at the guy. That’d do some damage

Quick question for anyone who’s had hands on experience with these cells.

I’ve come across a few internet postings suggesting these cells are “just like” the P42a in their terminal design, in which the flat top stands a bit “proud” beyond the cell’s body allowing it to make solid contact in multi cell lights like a Q8.

I’ve seen some pictures of them where that pronounced characteristic looks pretty obvious, while other pictures look as if it’s completely flush.

I’m hoping someone can confirm or deny this.

If it isn’t a bit proud, all i can imagine is the body of the flat top contacting the lights b+ ring before the cell’s terminal makes contact & having one of two things happen. 1. The edges of the brass ring cuts through the cell’s insulation. 2. The terminal makes a phony connection resulting in 3 cells that just intermittently arc against the ring because they are very very close, but no cigar. (I don’t even know if that’s possible).

If i could find a button top version, I’d just use those, but I’m only finding the P42a rewraps with them.

For the two P45B’s I have here the top contact is almost exactly flush, perhaps a touch recessed (by a few thou at the most). I guess with pressure on the ends contact could be made in a stacked-cell light but that doesn’t seem to be a dependable setup IMO.

You can buy button top adapters from Convoy, just tape them onto the cells with kapton tape and remember to punch a hole in the tape for the post (regular old hole punchers for paper work great)

1 Thank

Uggh. Well thats 30 bucks out the window…

Do you have a preferred high discharge cell you’ve seen available in button top?

Sorry, I don’t know what’s available in button top.

1 Thank

You can always add a solder blob to the battery. I’ve also soldered heavy gauge copper wire to the battery top that I first bent into a U shape object.

You are correct, the p45b doesn’t have as raised of a post as the p42a for whatever reason.

But it’s not totally flush. It makes contact in a q8 plus.

Convoy button top adapters ftw tho idk about for stuff like the q8

Like this, positive pad protrudes maybe 0.7mm to my bare eye

2 Thanks

Yep, just like that

Hey y’all.
Thanks for all the updates.
That picture surely helps a ton, it looks like I’ll have a comfortable amount of clearance in the Q8.
Thanks for the unintended intervention…lol. now i don’t have to buy more lights to put those cells to use!

Interesting! Thanks for the photos.
My 2022 dated cells are definitely lower than that.

2 Thanks

I only have a sample rate of 1, but my P45B is almost flush, if ever so slightly raised by less than 0,5mm.

On the other hand (also sample rate of 1), my P42A is basicly completely flush, in contrary to the several people here mentioning it having a raised post.

Both are bought from Nkon. (So I’m pretty sure that they are both original cells.)