Best flashlight for $10?

Didn’t see that thread. It is $20 in Canada for the 2 pack, but seems like it might still be great for the kids and just to throw around he house/truck.

Thanks for the detailed review!

Thanks to all for the replies. I’m in this gift exchange every year, I need to start planning ahead so I can actually order stuff online in time.

As it is, I was leaning towards one of the HD Defiant models, but then I saw that Lowe’s has a 2D, 134-lumen LED Maglite on sale for only $14.95 (I posted a thread about it over in the Deals forum). I know it’s $5 over my budget, but I think it will be a winner - everybody loves Maglites, and to get one of their big LEDs for $15 is a steal.

I ordered that one plus one of the “1200 lumen” XM-L2s at:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Upgrade-New-UltraFire-SK68-CREE-XM-L2-1200LM-12W-3M-Mini-Portable-LED-Flashlight-Torch-Lamp/1802918821.html

Running off NiMH AA’s I found the XM-L to be great, and the XM-L2 to be maybe even a little bit better. The XM-L had a purple hue, where the L2 had more of a yellowy-green. The XM-L would focus perfectly (enough to see the three bonding wires), the L2 zoomed into a tidy square. Probably no big difference between the two, except an extra $2.

Thanks for the recommendation! My first SK68s, and I’m very happy with em.

Colour difference is not because one is XM-L and the other XM-L2.
XM-L2 is the next generation and it is more efficient.

A small zoomie with a big LED like XM-L(2) can not zoom it to a small spot as wit a XP-E(2)
XP-G(2) is in between.
I have a SK68 clone with an XP-G2, which is already quite a big (square) spot.

These I like too.
Cheap too! You can get 2½ of them for $10.—

I advise this . :slight_smile:

Oh no….ick
I got one of those…did a review

Yeah cheap light…but it’s cheap for a reason!..yikes

Absolute KILLER deal for $10.xx!!! http://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/1124126364.html?tracelog=rowan&rowan_id=ae_pay_low_mail_template_en_US_2014-05-08

Great platform for tons of mods too! http://www.dx.com/s/502b+drop

-Jamie M.

I think these are the most practical of currently available flashlights, but I don’t like them esthetically. They look too mass produced.

Very tempting!
Wonder if 502B in XML2 U2 1A rivals C8 in XML T6.

Its way less powerful because it only draw 1 amp but you have very long runtime. That because of the very poor heat-sinking P60 module you can’t push it hard for more than few minutes.
The light have lot of flood with little throw compared to C8.

I run my custom p60 dropins (xml2/xpg2 on copper) at 3A. I definitely wouldn’t go any higher. Lotta heat. 100% and 15% modes are great for dealing with the heat.

Just wishful thinking (without thinking) on comparing to C8 — considering bezel is about twice bigger for one thing.

What’s the difference in XML T6 vs XML2 U2?

The gray one looks best.

I have this one and I like it

What do you mean wishful thinking ? I have several P60 and C8 light and its just that; more flood, less light and less trow. Making it more useful indoor.
XM-L2 is the lastest CREE LED, you gain more light and throw, about 20% more. The U2 is the flux bin meaning it give more lumen than T6.
U3>U2>T6>T5>T4>T3 etc…

That is a very close copy of the Solarforce L2M Add your own drop-in it will also take 18650 batteries, you get a lot more options (plus Solarforce quality) for a little extra $$.

1. XM-L2 is about 14% more efficient than XM-L. But since it’s binned at higher temperature top bin is the same. But at the same temperature, XM-L2 is exactly two bins over XM-L, for example: XM-L2 T5=XM-L U2, XM-L2 T6=XM-L U3, XM-L2 U2=XM-L U4.

Does each bin gives 7% (14%/2) more efficiency?
Is XM-L2 U2 three bins over XM-L T6? Is it 21% (7% *3) more efficient?

Does efficiency directly translate to Brightness?

1. Correct.
  2. Correct.
  3. No. Efficiency + current to the emitter = brightness.

What I am ultimately after is whether WF-502B w/ XM-L2 U2 is comparable in brightness with C8 w/ XM-L T6 and much bigger reflector. Any guess?