Best flashlight for $10?

I’m in a gift exchange this Christmas where the limit is $10. It’s pretty much a random draw, so I have no idea what anybody wants, or even who is going to get it, except that it’s a guy. In general, though, I think a beefier (big and manly looking), high-lumen light would be best. Standard alkalines (or AA/AAA NiMH) are probably necessary. I don’t mind paying a few dollars for shipping, but for the light itself $10 is a pretty firm limit. Something that arrives in a decent clamshell or a gift box (instead of plain brown cardboard) would be better, since it’s a gift. And, since it’s a Christmas gift, I’d have to get my hands on it by December 24th.

I know that’s a lot of restrictions, and I know a limit of $10 puts a damper on anything most people could get really excited about (I love my Thrunite TiS I got for $8, but I don’t see many of the “dudes” in my family getting excited about a light that small). I found a Maglite on sale last year (before I had found this forum or knew anything about flashlights) and it was a big hit, so I’m thinking that flashlights in general are a good idea. However, I think I can probably do better than a Maglite. I know that many BLFers give flashlights as gifts, so any recommendations for cheap lights that have been well received would be greatly appreciated.

Under $10 all you can get is a Sipik sk68 (or clone), otherwise the rest i am convinced are junk or close to it (i’m sure other forum members will disagree)
I also have a $10 gift christmas present to buy and considered a flashlight but quickly rejected it

Edit: I should have mentioned 1xAA in my reply, the one mentioned below might be good and i have heard good things about the costco specials

$10 - 3 mode upgraded XML T6 SK68: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Upgrade-800Lumens-9W-CREE-XM-L-T6-Mini-LED-Torch-Focus-Zoom-Flashlight-Free-Shipping/997633297.html

Will run on regular AA battery (so great to give as gift), works best on Sanyo 840mah 14500.

Way WAY better than normal SK68, has low and high brightness, beam is BEAUTIFUL compared, way brighter too!

Move your mouse over to see the upgraded version!

-Jamie M.

This one is tiny bit more than 10 ($12.72) but it’s great.

XM-L2 so it is the latest emmitter. Only 500 lumen and uses single 18650 with a simple 1 mode only.
So it shouldn’t overheat and will have a great battery life.

http://www.fasttech.com/products/1699/10000911/1358902-ultrafire-wf-501b-cree-xm-l2-t6-1-mode-500-lumen-l

Defiant 2 pack
+1

Nice tip, thanks for the suggestion! I assume you bought yours from that same Aliexpress seller in your link?

Sure damn did! Check for my review on their aliexpress page!

Crazy fast shipping for China!

-Jamie M.

now is a bit late to order from china 4 xmas, also with currier there is the risk of dont get it in time…

+1 on the SK68 or something from Lowes/HD like the Defiants

You probably will want a US Warehouse so Tmart or DX.

I got a Mag 2D last year for about $12 and it also was a hit - our group limit was 10, too.

Another idea would be one of the Walmart gift packs

Home de-pot had 10 dollar Cree xpg2 200 lumen headlamps

I got Defiant Headlamps from HD and I’m pretty happy with them. I don’t have much to compare it to, but the kids really like playing with them.

How are the HD Defiant 2AA Tactical Flashlights in comparison? The only other flashlight I have to compare is the 511 Tactical ATAC L2 that I got for free with my bag. The flashlight will be for the kids when we go on night walk

my apologies this is the one I was looking a. 2 for $20t: http://www.homedepot.ca/product/defiant-2aa-tactical-flashlgihts-2-pack/841356

*Sorry for thread jacking

After searching for the Defiant Tactical 2AA I came across this tread: New lights at HD looks like I’ll be passing on them.

Not sure those are available any more. They turned out to be pretty nice lights for the money. Check out this thread.

A bit late to order in time for Christmas, but I've been a fan of the Romisen RC-G2 for gifting to non-flashaholics. Runs on a single AA, no lithiums, decent sized reflector with good throw, reliable forward-clicky switch. Slightly over your limit though, depending on where you buy from:

http://dx.com/p/romisen-mxdl-rc-g2-cree-flashlight-black-1xaa-3607

Didn’t see that thread. It is $20 in Canada for the 2 pack, but seems like it might still be great for the kids and just to throw around he house/truck.

Thanks for the detailed review!

Thanks to all for the replies. I’m in this gift exchange every year, I need to start planning ahead so I can actually order stuff online in time.

As it is, I was leaning towards one of the HD Defiant models, but then I saw that Lowe’s has a 2D, 134-lumen LED Maglite on sale for only $14.95 (I posted a thread about it over in the Deals forum). I know it’s $5 over my budget, but I think it will be a winner - everybody loves Maglites, and to get one of their big LEDs for $15 is a steal.

I ordered that one plus one of the “1200 lumen” XM-L2s at:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Upgrade-New-UltraFire-SK68-CREE-XM-L2-1200LM-12W-3M-Mini-Portable-LED-Flashlight-Torch-Lamp/1802918821.html

Running off NiMH AA’s I found the XM-L to be great, and the XM-L2 to be maybe even a little bit better. The XM-L had a purple hue, where the L2 had more of a yellowy-green. The XM-L would focus perfectly (enough to see the three bonding wires), the L2 zoomed into a tidy square. Probably no big difference between the two, except an extra $2.

Thanks for the recommendation! My first SK68s, and I’m very happy with em.

Colour difference is not because one is XM-L and the other XM-L2.
XM-L2 is the next generation and it is more efficient.

A small zoomie with a big LED like XM-L(2) can not zoom it to a small spot as wit a XP-E(2)
XP-G(2) is in between.
I have a SK68 clone with an XP-G2, which is already quite a big (square) spot.

These I like too.
Cheap too! You can get 2½ of them for $10.—

I advise this . :slight_smile: