Best flashlight under $100 bucks! Convoy L6 3800 lumen. A MUST HAVE!

That was how I felt too. My L6 has been sitting inside my shelf since day 1. I do not know why I bought it in the first place. LoL.

I’m confused by the title of “best light under $100” when the light only costs about $50

Thanks for the feed back everyone…

Hi Mitko,

Thanks for sharing. I cant speak to the quality of the TF S70 because I dont have one. I had looked at that light because of the price. Judging by the pictures to me it just seemed to have that slick looking finish on it that I dislike. The sticky almost textured feel of the finish on the Convoy L6 was a key feature for my own personal use :slight_smile:

I basically meat that you could go as high as a hundred bucks on another flashlight and the quality of this one would still be equal or greater.

LOL…OK, so lets say best light under…. $51 :stuck_out_tongue:

Great review Matt!
I can speak to the quality of both the S70 and the L6. I own both and I don’t agree with Mitko on this one.

The S70 is a good light and yes the lit side switch is useful as a battery charge indicator and in helping find the switch to change modes when it’s really dark out. Simon and I are actually talking about including that feature in a future update to the L6. In my opinion that’s the only point I’d give to the S70 in a side by side comparison. The fit and finish are definitely superior on the L6. I didn’t even notice the anodizing on the S70 until my L6 arrived. The anodizing on the S70 isn’t bad really, but the anodizing on the L6 is gorgeous. Seeing them side-by-side the finish on the S70 looks cheaper in comparison but that’s just my opinion. You be the judge…

The S70 does indeed have sharp edges as others have said particularly noticeable on the tactical ring. You can’t compare the knurling since the S70 has no knurling. If you want to just talk straight out lumen count I’d say the stock S70 might even be a hair brighter but by so little it’s hard to tell. In comparing the beam profile the L6 just smokes the S70. What other stock XHP70 are lights are out there that don’t have a hole or cross in the hotspot? Maybe there is one out there but the L6 is the first light I’ve seen effectively eliminate that and give a pure clean smooth hot spot. Mode spacing is another hands down win for the L6 in my opinion as the low is a nice useable amount of light that’s not moon low but low enough to be easy on even dark adjusted eyes where the S70’s lowest mode is as bright as the high in many lights. Am I biased? Sure I am, but I stand behind everything I said. For me it’s a good light vs. a great light. That’s just my two bits though. :sunglasses:

P.S.
Yes, a smooth reflector is on the way for the L6 as is the complete host. Quite soon actually.

J-dub, your picture just reminded me of one more thing I love about the Convoy L6. NO FLATS!! I have always thought those ruined the look of an otherwise nice body.

Here again we agree. :+1:
Looking at that picture again now I realize that you can literally see the sharp edges of the S70 in the picture particularly on the tactical ring and the tail cap.

Is it how it “looks” or is it how it performs that counts? A lot of what I’m reading here is folks personal preferences for “sharp edge this” or “flat looking anodizing that”. You guys should turn them on and compare them that way. In my view anyway:-) I’ve seem some impressive comparisons of performance on various flashlights here.

Well, I’ve always admired a torch that could double as a seat belt cutter…anyone else?. :stuck_out_tongue:

One of the dumber ideas anyone ever came up with …Right up there with strobe and SOS ,

Lets tear up all that unnecessary knurling to make a spot to slap some advertising on my newest Goober-fire. As a customer I know that’s what I want .

Well just flip the ring on the S70 around (lol I did it on the VG10 as well) and you do not notie the slightly sharper edge on one side (and no it is not as sharp to cut lol)
Pressing my fingers really hard on the fins the edges still do not fel sharp
The edges of the tail, the only edges one really encounters without pressing and doing not normal use things are nice and smooth, those count.
I prefer no logo, but a flat area is sometimes to my liking, especially in a light with side switch.

For example S7- holding it arm down, head forward:
if I hold my fingers tops on the flat area it aligns my thumb with the sideswitch
rotate 180 degrees and the side switch is perfectly aligned for my index finger. So in the S70 I like those flat areas on the tube a lot so I need not look for the batt status led when in use or look for the switch when starting up in the dark

S70 holding it “tactical” arms bent, light at head height
fingers on flat, switch lignes up to be used with pinky or ring finger.
rotate 180 degrees, no alignment but so easy to rotate 180 degrees for pinky controlled operation

So out of 4 possible ways to hold it naturally 1 needs a fast and easy adjustment to be operated without searching or looking so on the S70 I very much like the flat areas.

the L6 is still in Chine :frowning:
hate checking tracking but can’t help myself

One more thing about the flats and ease to find a switch, for all lights, hold finger or thumb on location of switch and rotate to find it easy, it is not a biggie in the end :wink:

It has been done several times if you have read all the reviews. L6 has a slight edge in terms of top end power. If both performance, functionality and price are close, the main factor choose one over the other, will be by judging the look of flashlights.

Whenever I want to reach out for my S70 or L6, that will be the time that I require serious lumens output (>700lm and above). Having a lower low for 2x26650 format is not required, as I will rather use my light weight 18650 back up light or even 16340 cover the lower range.

I used to be a fan of flat anodizing (Convoy M1 and M2).They are cool to look at and do feel good in hands. However, they are a huge pain in the a$% to clean. Sweat, oil stains and dead skin will get stuck in fins and knurling if you use your light frequently. These stains does not go off easily even if you use isopropyl alcohol to clean them.

Performance is as far as I’ve seen close enough to each other that it doesn’t matter. I only have the S70 and I like it a lot, but I’d say there are several reasons for getting the L6 instead:

• Choice of tint
  • No step down timer
  • No doughnut hole in the beam

Those are pretty big advantages to the L6 I think. Not that the S70 doesn’t have other things going for it, but I still think these things makes L6 the better choice.

If anyone is curious I did a lux test on this earlier.

Convoy L6: Beam distance 75,750 lux or 550 meters.

Bump.

Update for those of you who ordered from ASF. I sent payment with DHL shipping on the 18th so it will be party time very soon!

Shipping update:

Sadly I have made a pretty serious error here. I checked to see which tints were actually available before posting my sale and to avoid any delays. Thus I thought that when the order was placed (Paid for) the items would ship within a few days figuring a lead time of 6-10 days total for arrival.

Just now I got a message back from Simon. He said that there is a week lead time before shipment of any of the lights. A asked what the reason for that is and he said
“all flashlights need time to be assemble ,and the express agent needs some time to deal with the goods”

Apparently they are assembled to order. My order was finalized on the 15th and payment cleared on the 18th so as best I can tell I should be getting them around the 3rd.

This is entirely my fault. I am very sorry about this guys.

vestureofblood

My concern is that the flashlights on order are completed where quality of build trumps when they ship.

EC4S vs L6?

Really??? :person_facepalming: