Best Headlamp?

I have a UF-H2 and a UF-H4. I like the H2 but I love the H4. The H2 is all flood as everyone has mentioned already. It can go pretty dim, and fairly bright. The H4 is the only one of the UF-Hx series that has a reflector, and that's why I bought it. I use it almost every night, as a skunk light: I look for skunks in the back yard before I let the dogs out. I need throw, but some flood as well, and the H4 is great for that. It also uses an XP-G LED, while the others use XR-Es I believe. The H4 can go much brighter than the H2, but not nearly as dim, if you need a low low.

The only drawback to the H4 for me is that it uses 16340 or 17670 batteries, which I wouldn't normally own. Luckily, a friend gave me some of both since he no longer uses li-ion batteries.

I don't know why the H4 isn't more popular than it is. I think it's a much better headlamp than the H2 but then different people have different uses.

I have a question for any of you who own any of the UF-H... headlamps. Can you easily open up the head to get to the front lens? For instance could you put a piece of diffusion material behind the front lens?

I realize that you can put something in front on the lens of course.

Thanks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multi-Angle-Cree-Q5-LED-Flashlight-Torch-Camping-Lantern-Lamp-Light-torch-/400244069960?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item5d3067d648

Looks like the one I ordered a while back from KD but I can't get their website up to post the original link. No headband with this one, though..

Update: Just found the thread that pointed me to the KD version. Their website seems unavailable. https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/2103

"old" link : http://old.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=11342

"new" link: http://kaidomain.com/product/details.S010075

DX has it even cheaper. The beam is very different from the H2. The H2 is all flood but the angle light is very throwy. The headbands can be bought separately. (I'm too lazy to search it on KDs new website.Found it) I am still thinking about a Zebralight, everybody who has one, tells me that they are worth the money.

Here are some comparison pics, you'll notice the size/weight difference especially on your head with a headband.

Thanks guys. I guess I really don't need much throw, since most of my usage will be using it to read in the dark (I do this approx. an hour every day). That's partly why I'd like it to last a good while on one battery charge.

Thanks for the links, Vectrex. Kinda wish I'd read through them before I ordered the Ebay light, but then I'd probably still be dithering with so much choice. So I've now got two coming (eventually), from KD and Ebay. The specs read slightly different, 3 mode Vs 5 mode, guess I'll have to wait (and wait..) and see. Would have gone for the UF H2, looks nice and it's well thought of here, but maybe not quite bright enough for my work light and head angle isn't adjustable. And for my glove box light, strobe is a must Foot in mouth. Just out of curiosity, has anyone heard of a flood-to-throw angle light?

The H2 is my dimmest 1AA Cree light on high (on Eneloops), but still one of my most used lights. When you have no hotspot and a larger spill beam radius, adjustability becomes less of an issue... everything has the same brightness. In that headband you can adjust the angle just by twisting the light. I am bothered by the low PWM frequency in dimmed mode, but I am easily bothered by that... I read on CPF that even the Zebras have issues with that on ultra-low... seems to be a trade-off : runtime vs. high-pwm

@Lensman: The light you ordered is still an excellent light. Even if it is not floody... I think you will be pleased with value/ quality for the money. It is an excellent angle light when clipped onto clothes like shirts and jackets... the clip is very good for that purpose.

Good to know. I'll post my 2p's worth when they come, also of any differences between them. I should say that my work isn't usually close-up, more plastering/painting type stuff, so a bright floody light capable of lighting a room at least adequately is what I'm after for that, although it would also need to have a low(ish) mode as well. The "must have a strobe" model is for the emrgency glove box light; even I don't need a strobe for working by :/..

Magnetised tail, adjustable head, non-exotic battery and strong floody beam with strobe (ok, hidden strobe for blinkie haters). Without even looking, I'll bet £1M such a light just doesn't exist. WHY?? Cry

Don't we allWink. That's why I think the option to take common disposables is almost a must for this type of light. Let us know your final choice and how you get on with it.

I just found this site looking for a review for a headlamp I was looking to buy from Amazon, and I'm glad I did. There is a ton of info I need to sort through! Anyway, a quick question about the UF H3, are there particular brand or style batteries I would need to buy? I know the size would be 18650, but I don't know about protected, or unprotected, etc. Thanks for the info.

For the uf-h3 I suggest to use unprotected as protected ones are hard to fit.

Really? I haven't had any trouble with my TF Protected flames fitting...

My only problem is that the spring digs into the end of the battery...

That is exactly my problem with it. =)

I plan of modifying the spring when I feel like it. Until then I just use unprotected battery.

Do you have any good ideas for what to do with it? Maybe bend the end down, or over?

Well like it or not it's a zebralight .. rthe pwm on the uf h2 is unbearable ..the only reasonable answer I've ever heard is to just only use it on high . that just seems like a waste .

gcbryan has 2 zebralights ..I have 2 zebralights and you couldn't buy Dons from him for 100,000 $ It's one of those universally accepted truths..people love their zebralights .I'm assuming the that it's also true of sparks. i keep saying the same thing about zeberas .. buy one used and you won't be risking a thing they are sought after new and used alike ..

I'm surprised how many people like the uf -h2 ..maybe the answer is to buy the cheaper ultrafire and maybe one day move up ...because I don't think you can go from a zebralight to a uf-h2 ...

I can't ...

Well said, LMAO at the Don comment.

That’s what I thought at first but it looks like it will be hard to bend. Cutting is my next idea.

I bent mine in just a tad, and then ran some extremely fine sandpaper over it. Works like a dandy!

Zebra has a 750 lumens Headlamp. Going by lumens that is the best h600. It takes a special battery and charger. I think the ideal headlamp for my purposes would be a spill + spot headlamp that takes AA or 14500 cells, with a flip red lens filter and programable to minimum brightness on start up. Using current technology from the SC52 that would have about 500 lumens, 3 month runtime, and weight less than 1.5oz.