Best "Off the Shelf" bike light

i really like the Fenix BT30R

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?\_from=R40&\_sacat=0&\_sop=15&\_ipg=200&LH_ItemCondition=4&\_nkw=niterider&\_dcat=22689&rt=nc&\_mPrRngCbx=1&\_udlo&\_udhi=50&\_fpos

I use flashlights on both the bar and helmet for mountain biking.

The Fenix ALB-10 bar mount is excellent, solid vibration free. Only downside is that it can only accommodate 18650 lights, not likely to fit larger than 30mm battery tube. $14 from Banggood.

For the helmet, just 2 longer strips of velcro to fasten to the helmet. Super secure assuming your helmet has vents, center and on top.

As for which lights… I have Franken-Dale modded triple and quad emitter lights but have also used the Eagle Eye X6 (XM-L2, also modded for more output). The X6 is great for the helmet, altho at high output the hotspot is a tad intense but perfect for the faster downhill run. You might want to try some DC Fix to diffuse for the bar (if you want 180* spill). I prefer the wide spill for my bar light.

I think the Group Buy Eagle Eye A6 will likely make an excellent helmet light, I’m on the group buy for 2. Smaller/lighter than X6, will see what the beam profile is like…

But the Zeusray is pretty decent for $8 for either application.

Convoy S2 Cree XM-L T5-5C 2-Group 3/5-Mode EDC LED Flashlight 2.8 amp .

Run it on medium .

fruit flier, I’m a cyclist and use a neutral white or warm white Convoy S2 on my helmet. It has an 8x7135 / 3.04A driver. (Qlite to be specific). Unlike yours, I’ve zip tied mine down and cut a little groove in the helmet so it doesn’t move about at all.

I don’t have a twofish so don’t know the construction. Do you put the light on top of or below the handlebar? Would a little piece of bicycle tube between the twofish and handlbar help?

Opportunity to build a 100% Custom, Inexpensive, Well Made Bike Light just to mix it up a bit. Not sure how long it will take though.

I ride exclusively off road, fire roads and single track around So Cal. This is my favorite bar mounted light. I have a lot of the inexpensive clones and I’ve tried several of the dual emitter lights. For around $50.00 this is the best I’ve found. This is for just the light, no battery.

MJ-808 head only

You can get a battery box like this and use some of your 18650s if you have them

Battery box

Or you can buy the whole deal, but it’s over $50.00

light and battery

When I bought mine there was a bar mounted switch option that they were offering. It was well worth the extra few dollars, but I don’t see it listed anymore.

I’m still messing around with the right helmet light, I have some that are plenty bright enough, but too heavy to wear comfortably and I find my 18650 flashlights are too hard to mount and too heavy. I’m about to modify a very small, lightweight light to use as my helmet light.

I’ve bought several things from Action-LED and I’ve had a very good experience every time. You can call and ask questions it’s a one man operation and he is knowledgeable and helpful, it’s all shipped from the US and he offers a warranty on the stuff he sells.

I just noticed you are not US based, so I don’t think Action-LED is going to be good for you, but I still recommend the MJ-808.

For the lamp head only or lamp head + battery pack + charger?

Hi all,
Thanks to all of you that have replied.

I will try and answer the questions that have been asked. Do I use the flashlight (Shadow JM07) mounted above or below the bats? I currently use it above the bars.

Regarding using an inner tube to secure the 2 fish mount. I will give this a go and also try to use cable ties instead of velcro to attach it to the bars.

Is my price range including batteries, packs, charger? I currently have a good charger and batteries (18650 and 26650s), however i do not have have a battery pack. So the price of $50 would need to include lamp head and pack.

I am liking the idea of the flash lights and maybe picking up another Convoy S2. I also like the look of the MJ808 and also the Yinding lights. The yinding seems like good value and I am guessing it would get longer run time than flash lights.

Eebowler i would be interested to know what you are using on your handle bars.

Thanks itsonlyme for the link to Garry’s post I’ll look out for the final product. It sounds like it could be a ripper.

Anyone have any more ideas for a small flash light (18650) that is a good thrower? I find my Convoy S2 just a bit floody and would like something with a bit more spot light.

Cheers.

Not to knock any bike light method, I personally have had much better luck with burn times and mounts using purpose built bike lights and battery packs vs. flashlights and the various mounts I’ve tried including the twofish. I think it’s because with an external battery pack there is less weight and leverage on the mount. Also, obviously, more than one battery should last longer.

There are a lot of the MJ-808 clones around from all the usual vendors. A buddy of mine got one of these you or maybe this one could get 2 of these with batteries and mounts for your $50.00 limit.

It is close to the MJ-808 but with more of a hot spot. Even the inexpensive battery pack seems to last him an entire 2~ish hour ride switching between Med and Hi, he has never run out before the end of a normal night ride. The modes are annoying on the clones though. No memory, un-hidden flash.

I know the O-ring mount looks flimsy, but it works for me and stays put.

All that said, I must admit that Yinding looks like it could be good too.

The Yinding is a great light, esp. combined with the KD programmable driver (direct swap in). It's not much of a thrower though. I think we estimated it to have 15 degree TIR's in stock form, so even going to 10 degrees isn't going to gain you much.

I think you need a larger reflector to get throw, OR a different LED. I'm currently in process of evaluating Convoy M1's with XM-L2 and XP-G2. I haven't been able to get beamshots yet or lux readings.

-Garry

hey zra, where in socal? let’s ride, I typically ride 2-3x a week on weekdays PM. Be useful to compare lights…

Hi Garry,

Would you be able to provide some more information about modding the yinding light with the kd driver?

Where abouts can you purchase the driver, the difficulty, and maybe if there is an instuction post or something.

Cheers
Brendan

I've not modded mine and I am not aware of any postings with pics. I believe it was MTBR user Ofroad'bent who replaced his Yinding driver with the KD driver and said it fits without any modifications. You just have to desolder the power and led wire from the old board and resolder them to the new board. He posted about it in the gigantic Yinding thread over at MTBR somewhere. The KD driver with emitter board is $8 here or with added neutral white emitters for $12.59 here (cool white also available). If you post over in the MTBR thread I bet someone can post pics showing how easy it is (if you still want to see pics). Oh, if I remember correctly, there is a need to trim down the nub of the momentary switch on the KD driver (or perhaps trim the inside of the switch boot on the Yinding case).

-Garry

I saw some pics and info on the driver swap in that MTBR thread it’s on page 53. It is not a comprehensive how to.

I wish someone would summarize that thread, I wound up just reading the posts with pictures, but I’m sure there’s other useful (and useless) stuff in there I just don’t have the patience to read it all.

Brandan, I don’t use a bar light. Other than an occassional heavy downpour, a helmet mounted light doesn’t hinder vision too much. Given the choice, I’d choose one with a wide-ish beam

Thanks eeblower. Good to know.

I know this isn't a real bike light, but is the laser "X" to better see changes in terrain a real cyclist thing?

Says:

"The headlight features Dual Laser Module to produce an 'X' pattern on the ground ahead, revealing any change in terrain."

My recent buy was the JetBeam BR10 Gt
I paid $33 us for it. It charges the 18650 in the light, the handlebar mount is secure dispite it’s looks, the emitter is XM-L ok. The high and medium modes are sufficient.
It works as a handheld flashlight as well. It is in between a dedicated bike like and flashlight.
It isn’t the brightest best beam but it suits me for single track mountain biking in southern New England.