Best "Off the Shelf" bike light

Thanks eeblower. Good to know.

I know this isn't a real bike light, but is the laser "X" to better see changes in terrain a real cyclist thing?

Says:

"The headlight features Dual Laser Module to produce an 'X' pattern on the ground ahead, revealing any change in terrain."

My recent buy was the JetBeam BR10 Gt
I paid $33 us for it. It charges the 18650 in the light, the handlebar mount is secure dispite it’s looks, the emitter is XM-L ok. The high and medium modes are sufficient.
It works as a handheld flashlight as well. It is in between a dedicated bike like and flashlight.
It isn’t the brightest best beam but it suits me for single track mountain biking in southern New England.

The Eagle Eye X6 is an excellent thrower, even on fast 30+mph downhill runs, I can’t outrun the light.

:smiley:

…If one can find it in a bike light that would work—or you could bar-strap the real-deal on. Take one of the best flashlights for medium range coverage that is also efficient with 1 LED, and my choice becomes the XinTD X3 with XM-L2 T6 - 3B, or 4C tint. 4C tint absolutely kicks butt for bike riding, the CRI is 80+, and just 1 of those LEDs is plenty enough for handlebars. When you use 2-4 LEDs you will spoil yourself with output, and use battery power up all night long.

Here’s what would work great: grab the light here for $25: http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_64713.html

Take the tube off, solder positive wire to spring, negative wire to the driver ring, and run the wire out of the light, making the end a “M” style plug for 1S voltage batt packs. Then power it off a 2x26650 or 4x18650 water-bottle pack that runs at 4.2V charged. That will run it all night practically, on medium output at least if not high. Use a solid mount and that light isn’t moving anywhere.

I mounted one on my lawnmower too, BTW. :heart_eyes:

I agree. Unless you are going on very long rides, I think a good flashlight on the bar works at least as good as most dedicated bike lights.

Don’t forget the vacuum cleaner!

XinTD C8 V5 XM-L2 U2 1A 18650 Flashlight
Panasonic NCR18650B Protected 3400mAh

I purchased these at Mountain Electronics. Best bar light ever. I can ride 22 mph and see far enough down the road to feel safe.

Complement this with a 1” diameter 4” barrel light of your choice on the helmet. I have been using a Shiningbeam S-Mini for three years and it works well.

You might want to check out the Electronics and Lighting forum at bikeforums.net for other suggestion on the best of the Magicshine clones.

My criteria is a single battery light; no battery packs and wires for me.

Best as in money is no problem?
Best as best quality and competitive pricing?
Best as in best budget (lumens/price)?

MTBR forums is a good forum to document yourself. I am particularly impressed with the Fenix BC30, BC30R, NitefighterBT21/BT70 ones. Great price.