Best option for a compact zooming flashlight 1x 18650

The wide range of measurement in that one makes it suspect immediately. But it is way better than memory....

10% in the first minute!

Make that more like 50%

The wide range of measurement in that one makes it suspect immediately.

Huh? The meter's extremely responsive, able to make out variations in strobe.

Internally, I'll bet it's almost the same as the DX meter, but it has a better sensor design.

Agreed. But it has more resistors in the signal path. Never a good thing.

There is such a thing as too cheap. The sensor can be perfect, the electronics around it may not be.

And do not get into an argument with me about metrication theory. I can bore for the universe on that topic, it was a big chunk of my final year of my first degree 30 years ago.

There are textbooks a metre thick on the topic and I've been exposed to them.

You really don't want to get into that.

But it has more resistors in the signal path.

How do you know this?

The dx meter is the same price on ebay. (and I think from the same manufacturer)

On another note, these meters are designed for handheld photography purposes.

How many ranges does it have?

End of pissing match.

It has 3 ranges, the same as the dx meter?

????

Couple members above asked for a meter recommendation and I gave them one? You said that meter is problematic and I just wanted to know why.

Personally I think your measurements are quite good and valuable. They're much more methodical than I would have the patience or dilligence to produce. If I didn't think there were, I would say so instead of offering suggestions. I apoligize if my choice of rhetoric don't make it seem that way. I'm very direct and sometimes it doesn't come across right.

Remember the keywords. I do this for me.

Fun.

When it ceases to be that, I have better uses for my time.

Like I have said more than once before; I do this for fun.

If that isn't satisfactory, you know what to do. My methodology is no secret. If anyone can do better, feel free.

I'll gladly read the results.

Perhaps a little context about me is also in order. I'm employed in a very technical line of work and it's expected, if not necessary, of us that we offer criticisms to any plan or process instead of platitudes, regardless of the original merit. It flows over to other aspects of life by force of habit--an unfortunate occupational hazard.

Rest assured you're also not the first to point out this lack of social skills. :)

I don't want to be involved in this but i have to risk it. :P

Personally i think i got both Don's and Agenthex point of view correctly.

I'm also interested in the expression: But it has more resistors in the signal path. (i can see someone is aiming at my head with a fully charged king size maglite (modded with dummy lead cells) with no intention of using it in a standard flashlight fashion. It might produce some light in form of stars upon impact :D)

I believe Don pointed out that since it uses resistors to switch sensibility range the accuracy must be like the lumen output on DX product pages. Even resistors (obviously in this price range) have quite some tolerance. It is truly doubtfull that some1 would take care to even roughly calibrate those devices.

For 16 USD is a great toy. Don't think it is a professional grade lux meter but can be close with some great luck. For us flashaholics it is very valuable (if used correctly) to compare flashlights/emitters in a numerical fashion.

In defense of Don i can only say this: It was perhaps not very obvious he wanted to say there are a ton of variables involved and if discussed propery would take a tremendous effort without being very pratical in the end. Such effeort would be way out of fun range and as such Don is unwilling to dig into the matter althrough i belive Don is very well capable of doing it.

To sum it up... isn't worth doing.

I should have been a politician but im too kind and reasonable to be of any use there. :D

Look at this beatuy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Light-Meter-90-000-Lux-FTC-Max-Min-Hold-/250702475950?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5f0832ae

I just hope the head is movable, otherwise they can get hard to read. I am a little suspicious of the actual specs as it says 30,000 lux in the body text and 90,000 in the headline. Since I've never seen 50,000 lux even in the hotspot at 1 metre of good throwers, I'd not be too worried about an upper limit of 30,000.

By using a bigger lightbox or measuring throw at a longer distance you'll get the numbers down to a manageable range anyway. It is probably more accurate to get a throw number at 5 metres anyway, if less convenient to do.

Well done - the less said about my temper the better...

I have a bad cold and a fungal (I think) infection on my lips which makes for pain. Pain tends to make me grouchy.

As you might just have guessed I am not a politician.

@Agenthex. Sorry, you did not deserve that outburst.

Back to topic.

Any way to modify my 504b with R5 to make it more floody. Would like to have the beam slightly wider without sacrificing much brightness.

You could try unscrewing the reflector a quarter turn or so to defocus the beam a little. Easy and reversible.

Next step, a light coat of hairspray on the reflector. Spray a small cloud in the air and pass the reflector through it a few times. It is best to do this somewhere that hairspray all over the place won't damage.

Neither of these should affect the light output too much.

For some of you from US this might be of interest:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zoomable-CREE-LED-300-Lm-Flashlight-Torch-Lamp-3-Modes-/110592071755?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item19bfcd184b

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zoomable-Tactical-Flashlight-Torch-CREE-LED-300-Lumens-/120627430176?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item1c15f48320

They just don't ship elsewhere. If they did, I would buy first one, I think.

Cheers!

Hi there ledoman,

Thanks for the tip, and welcome to BLF! Enjoy your time here.

Thank you. I'm already enjoying for quite some time, but didn't feel to post anything yet. Great site, I must say.

Mind you that links above leads to sale for only two and three days respectively. You might open new thread for them, just like someone recently did for http://budgetlightforum.cz.cc/node/736

Tips are always good to have.

Good to have you here ledoman.

Welcome to BLF ledoman.

The lights you mension is the MXDL SA-28 which you can buy from KD: http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=9567

They ship a Q5 version. Ebays 300 lumens? No way, but the SA-28 is a very good shrower. One of the best for the price. Just

remember to swop the metal o-ring in the head with one of rubber.