Best pencil beam with no spill ?

Yep. That’s the light that I want, too! :bigsmile:

I would consider putting an optic in front of an M40C.

How about a dedomed xpe2 and an Ahorton aspheric in a p60 host?

Nice idea, thanks, I actually have some of these in my old camera gear.

Jax Z-1 host: I have seen on Mountain Electronics, but I see it is too big now I look. I want no thicker body than at max 18650 single cell diameter, so 20-24mm max dimeter. that Jax is much bigger.

Crelant 7G5CS with aspheric head as mentioned before. Still fits exactly what you are looking for

Is there any specific reason why you are against a large diameter light?

edit: try this

Ok, thanks, so an aspheric head is that the same as the collimator-head? I can’t see ashperic mentioned anywhere not eh site.

http://www.crelant.com/accessory/crelant-new-collimator-head-s86ch-229.html

How bout the small sun zy c10?

Um, nobody mentioned the SK-68 yet?

It’s like $4, uses 1xAA or 1x14500, and can make a very narrow beam with reasonably far throw. I measured one of mine at about 5000 cd (140 meters) with an Eneloop, or 12000 cd (219 meters) on a 14500 cell. And it can zoom/unzoom very quickly to provide a flood mode. Many models will be less throwy, but still at least 100m on Eneloop.

Another option is a UF-T20, 1x18650 zoomie with fairly good reviews and performance, though it’s much better after being modded. RMM is planning to start selling them soon so you might even be able to get one pre-modded. It’s about $20 in stock form.

The JAX Z1 is nice too, 1x26650 or 1x18650 zoomie with a wide wide flood and a particularly tight beam in throw mode. About $50-ish stock, and in that config it gets about 50,000 cd (447 m) throw. Modded, it can get up to 200-250 kcd (900m - 1 km) but the beam will be very very narrow.

These are all aspherics, since you wanted no spill. Recoil throwers work too, but have virtually no heat sinking so they are very limited in terms of output. They also can’t convert to a flood mode.

Collimator head has an aspherical lens in it, same thing. I have a head that I never use, I use the stock head on the flashlight so of you want to try that you can. I have enough lights than I could sell just the head or the head and light.

Afaik Crlent has been out of stock of these heads for months. You can check with them first if you want but I havent seen a site with them in a while. They are really good for what they do but I jist dont need a spot light anymore

20-30 meters? That’s easy… Some of the suggestions here will top a kilometer. Almost anything these days can do 30 meters.

For cockpit lighting, you might want to get a different light. For example, take a look at the Zebralight SC52Fw. Or the L3 Illuminations L10-219. Or the 18650 version, SC62w (no ’F’rosted variant available yet). They’ll get you a nice amount of output with a floody beam and rather long runtimes.

Yes, So I am not asking a lot, just trying to find something with little spill. Ideally with a narrower head than a lot I have seen suggested so far,

No, that is precisely what I don’t want is a separate light.
I have had multiple lamps for years. dug 6 various small lamps out of my flight bag a few weeks ago , plus two different low power headlamps in the locker.

Fed up with multiple lamps, diffusers etc etc. Want just eh one lamp, small , 18650 power ideally, only to be comaptibel with my bike lights really…so AA will do, but I prefer 18650 as I have a large stock of them.

Ideally was looking for a good zoom, but since there are just none available that I have found that are suitable, I thought to look for ideas to use the A2Aviator way of doing things. A deep throw lens with little spill for out the cockpit window, with an LED or two, bare, to give a really wide flood.

Needs to be of a size that I can clip in a C clip to my flight headset.

I am converting a Suprabeam Q2 at the moment with different LED and firmware, so i get the low moonlight mode coming on first, no strobes or SOS nonsense.

A lot of the suggestions so far, on looking at articles and beam shots, still have a spill / halo ring around the outside, which I know from experience reflects off the glass more than a narrow beam.

Best beam so far is either the Q2 or the myled.com SingFire 132 zoom. A nice bright central square image of the LED. From what I have read, I may get a better result if I de dome those LED’s to get a tighter spot.

Lots of ideas to achieve what I want, all appreciated
This is the ideal shape from Sirius9

A zoom, tried that….nothing with a wide enough zoom, until you take the lens off and expose the bare LED. Bought Maglites and LED Lensers, and none to my liking, all have poor firmware or not wide enough flood

Hence the idea of a fixed narrow pencil beam like the picture above, and then make an external slightly wider ‘holder’ for two or three bare LED’s run at low level, to give moonlight almost non point source light.

I did try and find something a few years ago and eventually got dis heartened. Living on a small island I have not options to go out to a store and try different one sour. forums like this is the only option.

If you do find a collimator head iirc they were originally like $45-50 so dont be ripped off by someone trying to sell it for more than that

What is the diameter of the one you have?

I wonder about making a fitting to go on my own home build body tube.

The wide mode on zoomies generally goes from 45 degrees (relatively narrow zoom) to 90 degrees (wide zoom), except on some exceptionally bad lights which only get like 20 or 30 degrees.

I suggest trying a SK-68 since they’re only $4 or so and have a narrow pencil beam with no flood area at all (just a dim ring which you can eliminate by blackening the silver areas inside the light). At worst, it’s a cheap experiment. The flood is only about 45 degrees though.

For the wide beam you could use almost anything if you put some diffuser film on the lens. Or, since it sounds like you want to wear it on your head, you could just get a floody headlamp. This wouldn’t prevent you from also storing the throwy light in a clip in your headset. A ZL H52Fw or H502w (floody / pure-flood 1xAA headlamps) would provide a very very wide beam with good low modes and the longest runtime on the market. Can even be clipped onto an existing headset if you don’t want more straps on your head.

That A2Aviator looks like ancient tech with mediocre throw performance due to using a small reflector. The Suprabeam Q2 looks newer but fairly huge for its battery size, and looks like it uses a sliding reflector so it’ll get spill even in the throw mode.

The aspherics people suggested should have no spill at all. Just the hotspot.

You could try a UniqueFire T20 for a 1x18650 zoom with decent throw, but its flood isn’t very wide and it uses a screw-to-zoom mechanism instead of push/pull. The UltraFire 838 is similar but has much wider zoom (~90 degrees), push/pull sliding, less throw (bigger spot), and lower build quality. I’ve heard good things about a ZeusRay zoomie but haven’t tried one or paid much attention to the reviews because I don’t normally want a zoomie. I use entirely separate lights for flood and throw because they generally require very different body types.

http://www.dereelight.com/nightmaster.htm

+1. Recoil means no spill and some of them have another bare LED for wide illumination.

Camera lenses are a different thing, much higher precision. One the size of my Fresnel would be heavy and expensive. Big glass lenses look great on flashlights, but there is little other advantage to them. The reason cameras use single zone lenses is that the diffraction limit is set by the zone or segment size. LEDs are much bigger than the diffraction limits of even Fresnel lenses. If I put a camera lens on my flashlight, it would tear the paper and fall off. One of the scratch built contest lights was similar in concept but better executed.
Anyway, to get good efficiency in a flashlight you need short focal length relative to diameter which is small f number in camera terms. Throw is proportional to focal length the diameter of the lens in the large f limit, and to the focal length in the small f limit. (Oops!)

Could you apply some AR film to portions of the window?

Thanks for the overwhelming response gents ! Information overload! :wink:

Dereeight looks great but with the lens attachment may be a bit big.
The good thing with it is that big bezel. Could add a couple of bare LED’s and driver into /on that somehow to also give the wide low moonlight flood.
Plus when visiting their site from outside USA, a big banner appears… Don’t ship outside USA…find a local
Dealer. As soon as we see that, it means expensive. Can usually double the price instantly.

That little Recoil UF 009 looks great, Would have to rip out the driver and add custom driver to loose the strobe modes and give moonlight as first on option.

The whole idea of this current quest /obsession with finding this pencil beam to flood is so I can get away from having two lamps. That is my current procedure. wide flood headlamp, plus shirt pocket narrow beam unbranded Maglite copy. Oh and another bright one used in ‘candle mode’ when unloading aircraft and want wide area ‘working light’.

As earlier stated I don’t need a ‘thrower’ as such. Distance needed is very close but I want the thin beam of a thrower for reasons stated earlier.