Best pencil beam with no spill ?

The engineering department might not like that!

That little SK 68 is interesting thanks

Regarding camera lenses, was not considering a complete lens, rather thinking of stripping them apart to see if any of the elements could be put to use
They are destined for the scrap anyway

I have an SK-68 which I’ve grown to like even though it has issues with the switch. There’s also the larger SK-98.

The standard in budget aspheric lights is still the Uniquefire UF-T20 (it zooms as well), with the led replaced by a dedomed XP-G2, and a driver at 3A. Start with that and then see if you need anything more.

You might want to consider Sunwayman C21C. Swap the red light to white led of your choice (I would suggest a Nichia 219B high CRI). Swap the top front XM-L2 led to XP-G2 (or XP-E2 for even tighter beam, I assume it's still save as long as it's on Noctigon/SinkPad) and swap the reflector to Carclo 20mm plain tight spot TIR. Tonight before I wrote this, I had try to fit Carclo 10138 frosted medium spot optic, that I had lying around, in my Sunwayman C20C. I leave the stock insulation gasket on the led, it help in focusing. It is a straight swap. Reflector height is the same as Carclo's optic height which is 10mm.

Hope this help :)

I like the C21C, that may work well.

Edit, image added to remind myself what it looks like.
This si the sort of thing I would like. maybe it is perfect with the swapped optics.

For now I have a Suprabeam Q2 and the two SingFire lights to modify. This separate pencil beam and separate flood LED’s is the backup plan.

Just turned and threaded a new host today to use an 18650 on the Suprabeam Q2, That has an amazing zoom, just need to see what driver I an going to get from Richard at Mountain Electronics for it.

yes he gonne like it!

(for djozz) weet u soms hoe 2 drivers (met 7135-380 )aan mekaar te knopen ?

You need two lights. First a aspheric lens light with the lens adjusted to give the spot beam wanted and another set up like the 120 degree flood beam assembly on the Fenix TK76 or TK51. Unfortunately due to the nature of LEDs and parabolic reflectors you are not going to get a combo with no spill. The reflector would need to have a continuous curve and the LED size would need to be a small spot with no appreciable surface area.

The widest flood beam I know of in a small light like you want is the FourSevens Quark RGB which seems to be out of production. Very shallow reflector and it has red, green, blue and white outputs. The red and white should be good for cockpit use at night but the light seems to be discontinued so you might need to look for one used. Below is the CPF review link for it.

4Sevens Quark RGB Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and more! | Candle Power Flashlight Forum!

Another choice for an all flood beam is the FourSevens Atom AL.

Would it be possible to have the plane’s owners mount a small spotlight or two on the exterior of the aircraft, with pilot control of them, that are properly aimed for checking wing icing? That would seem to me to be the optimal solution for lighting the leading edges you speak of.

It’s already been mentioned a few times, but the Uniquefire UF-T20 is the exact light that you are asking for. It is a zoomie that can do your “pencil beam” and wide flood too. It’s also a 1x18650 with the handle style that you specified.

Replacing the LED with a xpg2 seems to be the standard upgrade, which doesn’t look too difficult.

No I don’t, that is what I have already and what I am trying to solve, get away from. Actually been carrying about 6 in the bottom of my flight bag.

A zoom is one answer, and the other is a multi LED lamp like the A2 Aviator.
Am playing with zoom mods at the moment, but if that is not a success then the multi LED lamp is the way to try next.

That is what this thread was about, finding a thin narrow spill free beam single LED lamp, not necessary to have 1km throw , that I can mod, by adding a second wide area flood too probably by near naked LED’s in moonlight strength for cockpit area flood.

Am going to order one of the much mentioned UltraFire lamps should the SupraBeam Q2 zoom mod not be to my liking

You are correct, it is and there already are wing ice lights fitted in the outboard side of the engine nacels . But they frequently fail and are not to be relied on. Old (ish) aircraft, operated away from base maintenance, getting important stuff done is a challange, getting other stuff done, not so easy!

I suggested two lights just because I am not sure any one makes one light that matches your desired beam characteristics at both extremes, pencil beam and flood.

Can the existing icing lights be updated to LED bulbs for greater reliability and less sensitivity to vibration? Based on my old 1967 Triumph Bonneville incandescent lights do not like vibration.

The Uniquefire UF-T20 is excellent inside, but to me the external shape is a serious drawback. It feels and looks primitive.

That is exactly why I am here. No one does make one, so I am here looking for ideas to make my own. Well one does, the A2Aviator, comes close and earlier someone else mentioned a Sunwayman with a second down pointing emitter in red , they do both come very close .

Could be done, yes physically I am sure no problem. But legally with all the approvals for aircraft, if there is not an off the shelf option already approved, no.

Even if there were lamps available I can’t see our lot paying for them if they cost more.

But even so, it is still a requirement for us to carry a torch anyhow

Cockpit and instrument lighting is also very poor. Think 1950’s Landrover with Lucas electrics.

Have been flying since 1992, and for a job since 2004 and have a box full of lamps, all a compromise in one way or another, so this time I am on a mission to get one I am happy with, even if I have to machine parts on the lathe myself

I agree, two lights are probably necessary, since the requirements are at the far opposite ends of the spectrum. Granted, those two lights could be hosted in one body, but most lights like that are rather … awkward. I’ve also never seen one which wasn’t reflector-based for the throw beam, which violates the pencil-beam no-spill requirement.

FWIW, all-flood is the entire point of the Zebralight “0” series headlamps, like H502 and H602. It’s a bare LED (mule) with 120 degree flood and no reflector. Just a lens, and a matte glow-in-the-dark shallow cone around the emitter to help bounce more of the 120-to-180 degree light forward without producing a hotspot.

I find it confusing that you’re using a reflector-based light for a no-spill thrower, since that will produce a spill area. Even on really tightly-focused lights like the Jacob A60, there’s still some spill. But maybe some amount of spill is okay?

I’d rather have no spill and a tight beam. but not for distance and throw, but for ease of firing out the window, as explained before.

I am only using the Q2 because I happen to have it here NOW, and no know different with regard to tight beams. Hence this thread. and why I am asking about them.

So if not a reflector based light for a tight beam, what is the best ? the aspheric lens. Not got one of those yet….or maybe I have? the Q2 or is that a TIR?

The SingFires as shown below in my mod thread link both have cheap plastic lenses… Flat on one side , curved on the other.

The Q2 is a very similar design to the LED Lenser. its Lens system is almost identical to the Lenser…but better Doing a ceiling bounce test, the rest of the ons illumination is almost identical from spot to flood, and it has double the flood of the LED Lenser.

As to why I am using it…Usin g it because I have it here, and know no better. It is not quite what I want, but with a bit of modding it soon will be closer. It has XP-G emitter New driver on order, I made a new body for it yesterday to take th zoom mech and an 18650 instead of the AA, and a also a new new tail cap clicky switch from a Nitecore on its way to fit the new body.

As i have said in this or another thread, I have bought in the last month
Fenix E35 ultimate
LED Lenser M3R really poor wide angle zoom
SingFire SF132
SignFire SF707C

Coast HP1 (yet to arrive)
Suprabeam Q2

the Q2 has the best zoom of the lot, from a perfectly focused nice square image of the LED to the widest flood, but poor software. only high and a barely different low. Hence the new driver .

But if any of the zooms, after customisation, are not to my liking, then this second idea of two fixed beams (Spot and mule type flood) built in to my own body is the next idea.

it has been 22 years of getting various lamps, all capable in what they do, but none perfect, so this is my current quest.

If I could find a really tight spot fixed focus virtually spill free lamp, (just the head will do) of about 1 inch diameter , maybe 1.5 inch max, but the narrower the better, I can make a housing for it to take a 18650 battery, and second driver unit for a moonlight mule flood.

That XinTD C8 V5 XP-G2 S2 2B 18650 Flashlight does sound sort of perfect. Mode 4 with moonlight start is great. .I could combine that with one bare LED firing down…maybe even use the original XinTD C8 driver, and switch between the two LED’s by switching the driver output to one or other LED,

All just ideas I am throwing around

I just missed out on a 40% discount from SureFire. I got a mate in the USA to phone (they wont sell to outside the USA) them and order me a FM54 diffuser…not listed on their site, but available.
They gave him a 40% discount code, up to the value of $1200…and I only bough the diffuser. Was very tempted by the new 1000Lumen R1 Lawman. not for this project, just of the hell of it.
Should have ordered the R1 and the A2 Aviator too. I was about to , sent my mate the e-mail…but he had already placed the order…probably just as well. Did not truly need to spend another $550 USD though

Like their reflectors.

Never found the square beam to be a problem, I quite like it.

Dos this look genuine?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUNWAYMAN-C21C-Thunder-Hammer-Cree-XM-L2-Red-LED-830lm-18650-Torch-/151124725237?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item232fbc4df5

Is Sunwayman another chinese maker of budget lights and this is original, or are they a ‘quality’ manufacturer and this is a rip off?

This may be the perfect light for me with the modified Carloco optic

I don’t think C21C suit your need unless modify it, this is review by _the_
That ebay seller is HKEquipment, also member here. This is his webstore.
You can find Sunwayman in many US stores, I suggest ask Calvin (Illumination supply) for some discount.

Hmm, interesting. From the pictures, it looked like a reflector. If it gives a perfect image of the LED though, it’s probably an aspheric or maybe some sort of hybrid aspheric TIR.

That square LED image is what any aspheric will provide, with virtually nothing around it. For example, this is the beam of a SK-68:

But a light with a really tight reflector beam, such as the Jacob A60 or XinTD C8 XP-G2, looks more like this:

A recoil reflector looks the same, only without the spill area… just a nice, round hotspot.