Best pencil beam with no spill ?

perfect
best solution yet. and if i usde a halogen, it will keep me warm too :slight_smile:

I admit I have no idea ,
I thought of the the word ā€˜opticā€™ to mean the device that shapes the beam, be it a reflector wrt shield, a lens or one of those devices lie in the Suprabeam Q2 zoom lamps that contain both a lens and a reflector. MY dated understanding of TIR was some thing that bounces the the light around inside itā€¦internal reflection, so the light is bouncing around inside the item, like light inside a fibre optic cable. How that all works in relation to what is available to buy to make parallel (isn) beam out of a LED emitter, I have no idea. If I did, Iā€™d not be here,

Editā€¦bit deleted.
Some of the Convoy lamps in the S series, according to this earlier post have shorter reflectors / heads, so are suitable for modding.
Any one know which they may be? Just the S2+ or others? and what difference will that make

But either way. I cant see a great deal of difference between any of the Convoy ā€˜Sā€™ variants What Iā€™d like to know is which one is the best to go for to mod for the 10 degree or less beam,

OOOOOā€¦look what I found :slight_smile:

5 degree optical lens units

What is wrong with a lens like that? I am guessing something, otherwise someone may have mentioned them before ?

Just to throw a spanner in the worksā€¦ would the HFR from the (TGWNN) guy with no name on candlepower not be suitableā€¦ you can now by the zoomable head to make it more focused ā€¦ā€¦ though it may be too wide a beam for youā€¦. also available from online light stockists too, as from my knowledge the only thing that could give you a tight beam from something so small would be a laserā€¦. however I am reading this thread and learning all the time now.

Also been thinking of something like this for a few years but didnā€™t think it was possibleā€¦ though with the amount of modders on boards it will only be a matter of time i thinkā€¦

good luck and if i come across any thing i will updateā€¦

found the thread you mean ā€¦I guessā€¦144 pages.

I ideally want a thin beamā€¦OK saying pencil maybe a little thinā€¦Parallel beam is maybe a better description. All my current lamps have loads of spill and are usable, but a bloody pain. I know from expirementation that a narrow beam works best. So if I canā€™t find that Iā€™ll just carry on with what I have.

Something with one of those Waviern WRT cones will probably do it, small de domed LED and aspheric lens plus one of those WRT devices may do it, if I have been reading the advice given so far correctly.

Just awaiting hints on which , if any of those Convoy S series lamps is the best to get so i can mod one.

It seems to be the general concensus that warm tint,high cri lights pierce fog and mist much better than cool tint,low cri.I imagine

that would be the same for passing through a window,whatever the final design may be,even with zero spill.

All of the S series lights are floody by nature , the S2+ and S3 even floodier .

Now the problem as I see it , is there might not be enough room in the head of these for an aspheric mod . ( I hope I'm wrong ) A TIR mod is possible , but I don't believe that you will get a pencil or parallel beam out of even the tightest TIR optic .

That being said , I have three S2s , and they are my favorite lights .

thanks, good info.
I had choosen the U2 emitters, but with the only tints that were available on FastTech, which was the 1A and B

I had not come across them before, the reason I first looked at them was that with a mod they are mentioned as a good choice. I have been back and sen that the S2+ has a taller head than the S2.

What about those 5 degree units I found earlier.

Could you look at your S2 and see if it will fit ? thanks

I think they are press fit though, not flip up. Something that is not permanently connected to the lamp is just not an option

You really want to be looking at aspheric/zoom options and not reflector or tir.

tir will produce a similar beam profile to a reflector, ie it will have some spill, even the tightest ones will. Aspherics will have basically no or almost no spill. Just a cleanly projected square image of the die.

Finally no matter want you do, narrow diameter lights like these are simply not the best option when it comes to any sort of pencil beam like throw.

Best you can do here imo is go with an aspheric lens and a very small emitter like an xpe. Or step up to something with a larger head, would I something lik a c8 would be too bulky?

ā€¦SO what is that thing that I linked to earlier with the 5 degree beam angle? why wont that work ? what is it what do you call that?
Is it a TIR a reflector?

The Convoy C8, no, too big a head. Iā€™ve got the SF132 here in front of me. Looks very similar to the SK68 and that is really too big. and the C8 is bigger than either at about 45mm. SF132 is 37mm diameter head. I just find that the weight of the bigger lamp head when lamp is clipped to the headset , droops forward and either comes out or pulls the headset forward.

The SF132 produces a thin narrow beam, of about , think I measured it to about 8 ā€“9 degrees. It is a plastic lens, flat on one side, curved on the frontā€¦a plastic Aspheric lens I guess,

But back to those modules What are they called ? Are they TIR ? Just going by what they say, a 5 degree beam that seems just what I need and for the price Iā€™ll be happy to buy 10 of them to try them out. Is it just that they produce a tight beam but with spill?

Hell Iā€™ll just order one each of those I listed above. S2-S7 and measure the internals. I can try those 5 degree units for fit and then see about a lens afterwards when I see the internal size. Iā€™d like to use a WRT kit that Waverin kit that was mentioned ealrit but it looks the smallest they go to is 32mmdiameter.

OKā€¦to FastTechā€¦ā€¦4 o 5 different Convey S models on the way.

It may be possible to use the aspheric from a Sipik68 in an S series light .

But could it be adjusted so that the focal point is right to produce a die image ?

Has anyone done it ?

Anyone feel like experimenting ?

I am more than happy to experiment. just not sure what to order.

Earleir there was mention of a P60 host and ashortton aspheric. any one will have to see if fast tech do that lots as well

Hellā€¦.waitā€¦whoooā€¦slow downā€¦I just thoughtā€¦.I am getting so carried away with this ā€¦and I have not even finished my first option yetā€¦ It has to stop for now

Helloā€¦I am Neil I have a problem ā€¦I am a flasholholic :wink:

There I have admitted it :weary:

The first choice was always the zoom option, rather than a narrow beam with a flood mule.

I have the Q2 the SF-707 SF-132 LED Lenser M3R and the Fenix E35 Mule with diffuser to try out

I think before I go buying yet more lamps to strip apart to mod, I should at least finish modding the Q2, 132, 707C and M3R. I have been waiting for the new driver boards and LEDā€™s for the others from FastTech. I canā€™t go on buying stuf until I finsh

Iā€™ve got ideas now, for the narrow beam and how to drive it and a mule from the same driver from tterev3.
Someone earlier posted a link to a UK site??? thor optics? pretty sure that had 18mm Aspherics. one of them may fit in a Convoy S2+

Thanks for all the input, I think I now have enough to be getting on with for now. I have just spent the best part of two weeks of my three week holiday on the computer reading about flashlights,

When I took this three week break, it was to re build my Harley that has been sitting in bits for 3 yearsā€¦I have not even looked at it. this flashlight business has become too much of an obsession recently and it has taken over my life.

This is why I stopped looking for a ā€˜perfectā€™ flashlights two years ago. I started and then it took over my life ā€¦slowly in the last two weeks the insidious fingers of flashlights have gripped me again.

So please, for nowā€¦no more suggestionsā€¦ I need to get out side and see the outside world for a few days again.

Thanks

Iā€™ll get back on it again once these parts arrive, Christmas is over and I have finished modding what I have got

I am going for a lie down now :wink:

Uhā€¦ Actually I did, here. (I thought I had mentioned it twice, but I can only find the one post now.)

Like everyone else whoā€™s tried it, I discovered the TIR does magical things to the LED beam. The ugly color rings disappear, and that alone makes them worth every penny. Getting to design/engineer/choose your beam shape is just extra goodness.

The link I provided was to an eBay seller, and a lot of only 5 optics, where yours is pointing to a lot of 10. Maybe you want to build a collection of these?

Iā€™ll predict that with any of the S_ family (all of which will take a 20mm Optic, BTW, meaning all the issues of refector depth go out the window), using the 2.8A driver, either choice of 5Ā° optic will give you your pencil beam, and a boatload of light in it. You may need to remove the black holder to make it fitā€¦

One last note: If you canā€™t find a rubber boot, you could put your slightly-open fist around the head, then hold it against the window. This would eliminate the back-splash youā€™re trying to avoid, regardless of your beam patternā€¦

Oops, sorry I obviously did read that thread as I replied ,but J have no recollection of reading the first part. How I missed it O
I donā€™t know. So thanks.

Yesterday J set up an 8 man tent on the coast, sandy area overlooking the beach, due South. The idea being Iā€™d shoot a timelapse for 28-30 hours, of Sunset, sunrise , sunset in the shortest day. 15 mm lens, had enough angle of view to get rise, the Suns arc and set all in frame. Of course during the night the stratus layer did not lift, and the wind picked up. An 8 man dome tent pegged in to sandy soil does not like that wind. By 0500 this morning, it was time to give up, before the sunrise. So I only got the night sequence of the tide going out, and back in again. And a few stars, boats passing and a few late night walkers a few miles across the beach.

Not brilliant, need to edit again to remove the light pollution via colour balance in lightroom

1600 shots played back at about 25fps

I especially like the distant lightning at about 0:26 or :27! Is the strange light in the foreground at about 0:33 also lightning?

Iā€™ve done short montages of fronts moving through, and I once shot an entire Total Lunar Eclipse, but nothing fit for making into a movie.

Nice eye!

No lightening, it was cloudy night but only stratus , no CBā€™s to give lightening

All the flashes you see are due to either me running round the beach with the SingFire-132 lamp, foreground one when I accidentally hit the strobe function on the LED Lenser and then poor editing, afterwards to remove the offending frames.