Best size to lumens ratio under $30-$40?

Hi Guys,

I have a Trustfire SSC-P7 flashlight (1*18650) and it died on me.

Now I’m looking for replacement, something with 1*18650 or 1*26650 but as small as possible and with the highest lumens under $30-$40.

I read some info and reviews here on the forum and the best option that I found is Convoy X5.

I’m still not sure if that is the best option so if anyone have other good suggestions it would be much appreciated.

Convoy X5, do you mean X3?

The XinTD X3 or Convoy X3 is a very robust flashlight with good flexibilit 18650/26650/3x AA.

A closer match to your P7 would probably be a Convoy C8.

Both x3 and C8 have very good quality for the price and around 900lms.

if you want a step up in brightness you might consider the BLF A6. It's a tube light with upwards of 1300lm. Doesn't get better size to lumen ratio than that in a stock light.

the Astrolux S1 (which is exactly the same as the BLD A6) comes with a short tube for 18350 cells if size matters…

Yes I meant Convoy X3, my mistake :slight_smile:

The BLF A6 seems to be a good option I’ll consider it too.

What about the Shadow JM35 it can do about 2000 lumens if I’m not mistaken?

Size to lumens a convoy s2 or s3 triple is pretty hard to beat.

BLF A6!

AFAIK, the BLF A6 is the brightest stock 18650 flashlight.

Anodized BLF A6: BLF A6 XPL 1600Lumen 7 / 4Modi EDC LED Taschenlampe 18650 Sale - Banggood Deutschland sold out-arrival notice-arrival notice
$10 off discount code GBLFA6SE

Bare Aluminum BLF A6: BLF A6 XPL 1600LM 7 / 4Modi nicht-eloxierte EDC LED Taschenlampe 18650 Sale - Banggood Deutschland-arrival notice-arrival notice
$12.95 off discount code 8d7e0d

. . . . .

Well, maybe this one is brighter. :evil:

That’s a good one! 1900 lumens. (Needs a good cell, though.)
http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_183968.html

Not quite as pocketable as the A6, but throws farther and has better run times on 26650 cell.

(I got the MT-G2 version and am pleased with its performance and neutral tint. However, you might prefer the cooler tint of the XHP-50.)

EDIT: Between the two flashlights, the BLF A6 and the Shadow JM35:

• The Shadow JM35 is better made, has a convenient side switch, is brighter, throws farther, and can run longer.
  • The BLF A6 is more versatile (range of outputs, selection of modes), comes in a wider choice of tints, and is more pocketable.

Overall, I’d recommend the A6 as an EDC, workplace, or household flashlight; and the JM35 for hiking/camping.

I think I’ll get both of them :slight_smile:

The A6 for all around uses and the JM35 for when I really need to light things up.

I only wish that the JM35 had a version that can work with one cell and two cells.

I guess I have to choose between XHP-50 and MT-G2 versions. I’ll try to find a comparison.

Edit: I read @M4D M4X review, I think I’ll go for the MT-G2 version.

How about its runtime anyone test it?

Can you recommend on a good cells for it?

Thank you :slight_smile:

Heh I think you'll like it here.

18650 Samsung 30Q is a great cell for Max output and decent runtime.

For 26650 I typically go for max runtime with this cell from mntelectronic: http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_108&product_id=305

For the Shadow JM35

M4D M4X states in his review that a protected Keeppower battery worked fine.

However, I’d recommend you use a high drain battery:

Personally, I’m using a couple of average batteries (Radio Shack) in my JM35, because I have the 2x26650 version. However, I’ve had good luck using Keeppower IMR 18650 batteries in other flashlights. So, I’m fairly confident in recommending the Keeppower IMR 26650 cells.

For the BLF A6

A lot of the BLF members have been going with the Samsung 30Q high drain batteries for their A6.

But you could use any one of the recommendations for protected and unprotected cells listed here: blf a6 battery

I’ve got three BLF A6’s and have been using both the Keeppower IMR and the Samsung 30Q cells in them. I haven’t noticed any drop-off or difference between them.

I would suggest sending M4D M4X a PM asking for any discount codes, before making any purchases. :wink:

EDIT: The EVVA 26650 battery that unknown00101 recommended is a high quality battery rated at 15.0A and should work fine. However, the narrative description suggests that you might want to think about a higher drain battery for 4A draws or higher. M4D M4X’s review states the JM35 MT-G2 drew 5.3A. So, you might see some slight improvement by using a higher drain cell such as the Keeppower IMR.

I love the JM30 but I still think the best deal in town is the X6/X5 group buy… get the ALU for $50 and don’t look back.

Slam dunk best deal!!!

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

@Ronin42

That’s way over my budget I still need to purchase 26650 batteries and charger (maybe I’ll mod my 18650 charger).

I saw that there are two version to the A6. What’s the different between the BLF A6 and the BLF A6SE?

I sent you a PM.

Dunno.

AFAIK, BudgetLightForum A6 = BudgetLightForum Special Edition A6.

• There are two versions of the BLF A6: anodized and bare aluminum. Each version coming with a choice of three tints (1A, 3D, 5A). However, they are not differentiated by being designated as BLF A6 or BLF A6 SE or BLF SE A6. Nor should they be, since they are exactly the same flashlights (other than the coating).
  • And there is the Astrolux S-1 (same flashlight, but under different branding), that comes in only the anodized version.

BTW, I agree with Ronin42’s assertion as to the BLF X5/X6 group buy being the best value (biggest bang for the buck). However, the delivery date is indeterminate. IMO, they are not true EDC’s in the sense of being tailored for general everyday use. However, their beam pattern and the X6’s form factor is much closer to your SSC-P7. So, they may better meet your expectations - especially the X6.

I just ordered the A6 with the 5A bin, I know it’s very different from my SSC-P7 tint but I think it’s a better tint choice. Maybe later I’ll get another one with cooler tint.

I still haven’t decided on the JM35 bin…

Thank you everybody, you helped me a lot.

Oh, we’ve just begun to help (grin)

I already find myself looking at some throwers 8)

+1
Or the BLF A6 was still available but no cheaper and without the short tube, last I noticed. (I recently ordered a bare metal one.)
Or put a BLF A6 driver from Mountain Electronics or from Banggood in a convoy.
Or put a Nichia 219C and 12 x 7135 in a Convoy.
Or if you only need high mode, take out the driver of a Convoy, or out of an SK68 with an XM-L or an XM-L2.