Best Throwers For the Money

Ahorton lens and spacer @ Illumn. It's not sold assembled, although it's pretty simple.

http://www.illumn.com/flashlight-bodies-bezels-parts-and-dropins/flashlight-bodies-parts/ahorton-27-2mm-aspheric-glass-lens.html

http://www.illumn.com/ahorton-272mm-aspheric-spacer.html

What is the best thrower that can also use 26650 cells?

• I like the M12 - single cell so easily upgraded to a BLFDD driver, bigger reflector than a HD2010 or Yezl Y3, more $$$ of course
  • a simple mod'ed DST using a compatible 26650 light tube, forgot what brand but it was an A8 clone and just screwed right in to a DST head using one 26650. Combine that with a good de-domed emitter and BLFDD driver, should throw very well.

There's probably other big reflector 26650 options but can't recall off-hand.

I was thinking the same thing. The FF4 is smaller then the TK75 and btu shocker which were listed. If those two lights are mentioned so should the FF4, it’s readily available for purchase and no mods needed.

Thrunite TN31. $99

Stock 130 kcd

Dedomed 240kcd $0

Bridged resistors 450+kcd $0

Total cost: $99

Best bang for your buck and high quality rivaling any light at any cost.

I’m a bit disappointed that no-one’s yet mentioned the Trustfire X9. The heatsinking leaves something to be desired but its throw is just as good as the Small Sun 60mm-class lights and the build quality is top-notch.

Thank you Tom.

Does anyone have any throw stats for the Covoy L2?

Added the FF4 because it has a lot of throw for the money and noted that it is hid.

From my lights the Jacob A60 is clear winner in 0 - 25$ class, with C10 second.

The Maxtochs dominate the 50-75$ class.

The big problem with Jacob A60 is that the hot spot is pencil thin. I compare using the light with the blind men and the elephant. The beam is so narrow you don’t know what you are seeing, just like all the blind men have different description of elephant.

I find that to be true.

For hunting purposes I sometimes use an A60 as a rifle light but switch it on only after areas have been scanned with a wide, long distance beam XML grunter like the Maxtochs. On occasions here we shoot over 1000 bunnies in a night and the A60s and other pencil beam aspherics are not useful for quick, effective terrain scanning.

That’s a lot of bunnies.

Yes - we’ve had a fabulous hunting site for 7-8 years and nailed tens of thousands of bunnies. It has meant years of in depth field testing for a big variety of lights, and while we still use some apherics - switching them on when target identified - the wider beam, long range XML2 maxtochs totally dominate.

We dedome them and the lightweight M24 (scope mounted or handheld) runs at 173k lux or about 800m, and the 2X dedomed runs at 240-250 lux or 1000m - all with wider beam for quick terrain scanning. With that power and range in a scope/handheld light we don’t even use bigger 12v halogen or HID spotlights from the trucks now. Don’t need them.

Off subject but if I recall from reading there are no natural predators in Oz or NZ for rabbits and also for Deer in NZ so they need regular hunting to prevent their taking over the country completely. Both introduced in the early 1800s and they have been ecological disasters. The rabbits breed like rabbits and in NZ so do the deer. Northern and central Aussieland also has a hell of a cane frog problem I believe.

All true - no natural predators for bunnies or deer. Few weasels/ferrets for the bunnies.

Bunnies introduced to NZ/Aus by english settlers for pleasure but have multiplied to such an extent they can totally destroy environments. When hunting we walk to cover terrain in the early evening but also shoot from specially setup 4x4 trucks moving across alot of terrain on stations (ranches), and the power, range and convenience of the maxtochs has proved decisive for night shooting. We designed the torches with maxtoch for this purpose.

With deer NZers had to cull them shooting and/or capturing them from helicopters at times. More controlled these days. Cane toads out of control in Aus - esp queensland.

Back to the topic…

You need some lynx for those bunnies. They feed exclusively on rabbits, and their population declines along with them.

True…. In England where bunnies/hares come from they have foxes and snakes to keep numbers down - but we have neither.

Just 22LRs, 22WMRs, 17s, 223s, and of course 12guages - king at night! Great fun :slight_smile:

Do you eat them and if you do you can’t eat that many unless you give a most of them away.

Weird. I though many things preyed on bunnies.