"Better batteries" for Imalent MS08?

Hello

I saw a post about this Review IMALENT MS08 - 3*21700 - 34,000lm. ” I replaced the Imalent batteries with 3 Vapcell T42 which are the batteries I used with EC06 and the result flipped this time Imalent resulted on startup more luminous of EC06 so it’s all a question of what type of batteries we use.”

But I dont have experience with batteries, I read that Vapcell T42 are not protected… whould I worry about it?

And I cant find the vapcell t4 on aliexpress

https://vapcell.aliexpress.com/store/1084158

is there a seller at USA?

Could you give me a link? Thanks in advance.

Do you think this one will be ok if button top?

https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-903646027-2-x-bateria-imr-26650-efest-37v-4200mah-50a-original-\_JM#position=5&search_layout=stack&type=pad&tracking_id=a2263704-8842-4a55-b6d5-7a731e99f684#position=5&search_layout=stack&type=pad&tracking_id=a2263704-8842-4a55-b6d5-7a731e99f684&is_advertising=true&ad_domain=VQCATCORE_LST&ad_position=5&ad_click_id=OWIxYzg5YTctOGJmZS00NzMyLTkyNGUtMmVjYzhiNDU2NzNm

2 X Bateria Imr 26650 Efest 3.7v 4200mah 50a Original
6700 pesos

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284766027294?hash=item424d60be1e:g:bscAAOSwoSRiWFyL

what about this one?

2x molicel 21700 P42A 45A 4200mAh 2 celdas genuino con 3D caso Impreso

This one is the one you want:

Yep, the MOLICEL/NPE INR-21700-P42A is my favorite high drain 21700 cell.

Very thanks, I read very good things about Molicel.

My only doubt is: would I need to addapt it? is it button top? I cant see it clear…

Those cells are flat tops.

I don't know if you need a button top or not.

and… being inexperienced with this kind of cells, this warning sounds bad:

“This product is an unprotected lithium ion cell. These products are not typically meant for consumers as misuse can cause a fire or explosion which can cause INJURY or DEATH.

This battery is NOT designed nor intended to be used with an E-CIGARETTE, VAPORIZER, or other device that uses loose cells and MUST NOT be used with such devices due to RISK OF FIRE or EXPLOSION.

Cells must be kept in a protective case or box to protect from short circuits. Never put them loose in a pocket or purse - if they touch something metal they can explode. Always make sure the cell wrapper is in perfect condition. See the full list of warnings on the product page.

If purchasing this battery for resale purposes, you MUST forward ALL warnings to ALL customers for their reference and safety! ”

Thanks, button top needed, so that’s OK.

Oh that makes stuff a bit more difficult then.

Well, I guess you could email Liionwholesale and ask if they can add button tops on their cells.

doesnt is button top?

No, they are not button tops, which is why you’ll need to ask the seller to add them if possible.

If that Imalent MS08 has a ring system for the cells, the Molicel P42 with its slightly raised top will work fine. Else a bit of solder blob will work also – but it’ll leave a bit of solder streaking on the brass ring; no electrical downside though.
Convoy has an adapter for such link in 3 or 4 cell versions.

Most power cells are flat tops. It’s not the OEM that adds buttons but the reseller/rewrapper. Those buttons aren’t always welded but held via the shrink wrap. They can add IR (Internal Resistance) and lower the current capacity.
But sometimes re-wrappers would bother with spot welding the buttons and then the contact points are critical to amp delivery. Done right, it doesn’t affect the performance.

Addendum:
Here’s the link to Ali Vapcell T42 (which could be a P42 re-wrapped). Unfortunately, they don’t ship to Argentina. And that price is outrageous.

Try 18650 BatteryStore in US link
They’re sold out but ETA for June 1st - just around the corner.

Disregard those warnings – OEM dis-liability if you were to misuse them. Flashlight use is safe.

Thank you very much…

So I should go for this one:

And… my only fear is the non protected thing… I dont want it to explode in any way…

The Imalent MS08 has a ring system and can be driven with just one cell (emergency).
The picture in the test of HKJ does show a slight protruding top. So that should be OK.

With the link you posted entry #9 Review IMALENT MS08 - 3*21700 - 34,000lm. did change the cells to Vapcell T42/Molicel P42 which I believe are the same cells. Molicel P42 is a great cell with great output and still having capacity as compared to the Samsung 30T.

Protected cells will not deliver high amps. They are designed as such. That light of yours may be drawing more than 8 amps per cell, above the protected ones.

As for Low Voltage Dropout, I would think Imalent would have built this into their flashlights. As for battery reverse, never; ever do an accidental one in those 3 or 4 parallel configurations.

You bought a big boy light, stand up to the challenge. Forget the protected cells – baby steps.

Cool… so maybe with the unprotected cells we could get 22% more amps and 22% lumens? Some user’s test show 25700 lm max, but if discharges 43 amps instead of the protected 35 amps, could it reach 31574 lm or so?

That’s what you are saying?

Well, I’m not familiar with that light nor of Imalent’s claims or drivers. You would have to test that out yourself.

Unfortunately not that lucky. After the low amperage sweet spot of high lumens per amp the efficiency drops as current rises. That 22% more amps is probably going to get you only 10% more lumens. https://cree-led.com/support/tools/ Click on the “Cree Product Characterization Tool (PCT)” then as you plug in the LEDs the chart will show big drops in efficiency.