Big Aliexpress sale coming up again!!

Still have not gotten mine, I suspect sometime next week.

I bought some items a couple of weeks ago from aliexpress, paid in my native GBP £ using my barclaycard mastercard, got my statement today and been charged in £’s, exact same amount as on the aliexpress checkout, no currency conversion etc.

So you were charged in £ because you selected it on the item page?

Yes thats correct.

Not sure if its been mentioned but it looks like aliexpress adds around a 1.5% currency conversion when you change from USD to Euro/£ compared to the rates on XE etc

Ok thank you.
I just received my C12.
Well packed, but out of the package the flashlight doesn’t work properly. The tail cap assembly was not properly screwed. The light would turn ON or OFF or switch mode each time I touched it.
I opened everything to check assembly. the LED is properly placed and there is sufficient thermal compound. The wires going to the LED were tiny. They did the job but I replaced them with 20AWG which fitted perfectly. The pill was not completely screwed either, but that had no consequence.
The anodizing is OK, but it is shiny compared to my Convoy S2+.

The threads are not anodized and feel a bit rough but they do the job.
The driver has the following modes: 100% - 25% - blink (about 2Hz).
The memory is very nice, it will change mode if you switch OFF the flashlight for less than 1sec. This is much better than my Convoy S2+ that will change mode if you switch ON the flashlight for less than 1sec!

I wonder what the unmarked 8 pins chip is…
The driver is not current regulated unfortunately… I guess it uses a simple resistor to limit the current to a safe value. There is also a transistor to make modes. I do not like the fact that it is not using 7135 chips…
Stock, the driver is pulling about 1.0A with a battery at 3.5V
Stock, the driver is pulling about 1.9A with a battery at 4.0V

I measured the tail assembly resistance to about 0.1ohms. I will install some braided wires on the springs to reduce that resistance and increase current.

so we need to figure which resistor limit the current in order to mod it

Interesting. Thanks for the report lagman. That driver does appear to be some type of direct drive, but I don't know enough to be of any help with it. I'm thinking I'm going to try to swap in a different FET just to see what happens. I don't see any resisters with low values typical for controlling current. This is one of the few stock drivers I have come across with good memory.

Yours sure does look shiny. Mine are very black like yours, but seem not as shiny and maybe a little more evenly finished. Does your light's finish look like it does in pictures in person?

EDIT: fixed some typos

I don’t mind sending mine to anyone that want to play around with it and mod it.(as long as I get it back, hehe)

spotted skyray 6000lm 3xcree lights with charger and 4 x 4000mah batteries £5.50.
ordered one…… it marked shipped after few days.so ordered another that again marked shipped .went to order third and it jumped to £24 .
a mistake i suspect rather than a sale item.
Have recieved the first one and very impressed with quality and light output.worth the £24(£16 without batt+char),.deffo worth £5.50 lol.
made me laugh they marked the package as wieghing 200grams ,whereas it actually weighed 700gms. might explain why the second ones not arrived yet.

I used the flash on my first picture. Here is an other picture without flash that is more representative of how shiny it is IRL.

I just added some braided wires on both springs. I reduced the total resistance by about 0.15ohms! :slight_smile: The maximum current is now:
Cell at 3.45V: 1.3A
Cell at 4.15V: 2.9A

Overall, considering the price paid I’m very happy with this flashlight. Now that I modified it it’s almost perfect (just not constant current).
This is my first thrower so it’s impressive! :slight_smile:

And you didn’t share that deal??? |(

Nice mod lagman. Congrats.

You probably know this, but just in case. You can dedome that xp-l and not lose any lumens (Most emitters lose about 10% of the lumens when dedomed). Dedomed, your throw will about double.

Do you have a source that shows that the XP-L doesn’t lose lumen when dedomed? I’m curious.
BTW, I posted a new thread about my temps readings…

Here you go. Should open to Post 38.

Cool thread you started there. Interested in hearing what the gurus say about your measurements.

Beat me to it

Thanks! That was very interesting.

It seems that I’m an expert at ruining LED dies…
I was measuring temperature with he thermocouple on the side of the LED die… I already did it at 2A but now I wanted to do it at 3A.

Sorry for the bad quality of my pictures…
Now, WHAT DO I DO? :~

Time to get a noctigon and new xp-l :wink:

Why a new XP-L? This one should still work right?
I’m trying to heat the base of the star to reflow the die in place right now… Is that the right way to fix it? I don’t want to wait for a noctigon to come.

Yea you can fix it that way, best of luck to you, I haven’t had much luck reflowing a blow out like you have. But I am horrid at soldering.