Big fixed blade... can't decide

Glad you liked it as much as I did. It’s not bad at all for $16, it’s very elegant looking too! The sheath is a bit crappy though.

That looks like just the thing I need. I think I’m going to pick it up. Thanks.

I want to say yet another thank you for that recommendation, after looking up videos of this thing I am blown away. This is a video of a butter knife being sharpened to razor sharp with this mini $70 grinder. Just insane:

I really am blown away by your suggestion, I’ve picked it up along with a bunch of aftermarket belts that cost less than $1/£.50p for 2 and are higher quality. I actually think now that this machine will be with me today or tomorrow that I can actually convex it, fully re-grind it etc. and I have other knives I need to sharpen including kitchen knives that I’ve been unable to do with flat stones that I can do now. I now have the perfect sharpening setup, the best strops from Longstrider, a Chinese copy of the Apex Pro with aftermarket grits upto 20,000#, and now this. For outdoors I have my mini-strop and DC4 stone. Very pleased!

I’m glad I could recommend something useful. :slight_smile:
Please share your experience with the WS (I haven’t taken the plunge to buy one).
According to different users you should start practising with inexpensive blades with an extra care to the tips.

I know that they are a good machine, the video proves that but I’d like to see it reversible to form a burr on each side. I’d be wanting to put the knife in the side where the motor is. :slight_smile:

I’ve got an EnlanEL-01AB, the part serrated one that I’ve totally screwed up the serrations on, the serrated part is about 4mm up from the straight edge, I know, I know don’t try sharpening serrations with a 3mm diamond burr in a Dremel - it seemed like a good idea at the time. :frowning:
I’m going to re-profile the whole blade eventually but I have plenty more to use and the straight part of the blade is perfectly usable, I tend to use the belly the most for my use anyway. I’ve been looking at the WorkSharp thinking it might be what I need.

Expensive for just the one knife though.

I’ve got a full set, that should be full sets of Lansky hones so I’m sorted for normal sharpening and I’ve got the ones for sharpening serrations as well, when I screwed the blade I was trying to remove the serrations not sharpen them but ended up making them deeper.

So it might be the cheaper option is to buy another EL-01AB, but then I’ve still got the screwed one to do something with. >)

Roll on christmas!

EDIT……… xaru, I see you mention a strop from Longstrider, can you imagine if I sent him a screwed Enlan to re-profile. :bigsmile:

EDIT #2……Added pic.

When I screw ’em I screw ’em good. :bigsmile:

It sounds like you chewed up the blade, but that’s really more a problem with serrations, once the blade is serrated they are hard to remove cleanly unless you grind off 1/4 inch of blade.

In hard used blades, the serrations will tend to become more shallow if sharpened normally. While that is not real pretty, the blade still cuts ok for a working knife. Squared off serrations cut just fine.

I’ve cleaned up some really mangled serrations with needle files and Cratex and ceramic sticks to the point that the blade w/serrations looks like new.

You don’t need a grinder…try cleaning the blade up with files first…you might still end up with something resembling a knife.

I’ve also re-profiled very worn serrations down to where the blade is straight and v-shaped on the cutting edge, and though some serration remnants are still there on the bevel it cuts ok, The blade could have been re-serrated at that point, but I chose to just shoot myself in the foot instead.

You could try to transform the screwed up serrations into a blade shape similar to the Carrillo folders:

You have nothing to lose. :wink:

That looks like a cigar cutter, or more commonly known as a “finger-lopping choil”…but whatever you end up doing to the blade, even possibly ending up with some ridiculous grind, just call it a “Zombie Hunting” blade and post a pic…it might catch on.

But you could easily re-shape that blade to a narrower, more pointy, smooth edged blade. (Kind of a stiletto grind…just take off the belly in the front.)

Or, much easier to clean up the serrations and turn it into a true recurved blade like the Ken Onion designs; that’s kind of the rough shape you already have. Recurve blades cut really well.

I have a few Ken Onion blades and they are useful for some tasks. You will end up with a custom El-01.

That Carrillo folder is a beast.

Some good ideas, thank you.

I was looking at it again and I’ve decided that making the blade into a recurve, its probably easiest way forwards, I’ve got a Kershaw/Ken Onion Chive and that’s a good cutter.

I’ll shape the blade using some of the abrasive rings and drum that seem to be in any accessory “bits” packs for Dremels, I should have used these to start with.
The diamond burrs that I was using are much too small in diameter to work properly.
A diagonal path down the tops to flatten them them and blend the shape of the rear of the blade into the front.

Finish off with the Lansky hones, I’ve got a spare, lightly used, extra coarse stone as well as the full range of grits and the deluxe diamond set along with a sapphire polishing hone then a good stropping and Zombie #1 will have been created, I think I’ll call it Rob after one of my favourite bands.

I’ve got four other EL-01s and another in the post so I’m not short of EL-01s.

Shape the blade the way you want it to be and then grind the angle bevel. You can rough shape it with Dremel sanding disks and stones and polish with Dremel polishing wheels…love those Dremels, but I have a couple of Foredoms for the heavy duty stuff.

Oh well, they look very good , but I’ll wait until my Ryobi with a hanger and flexi shaft wear out. I don’t use it very much, just scaring the odd Opinel handle. And screwing serrated blades of course.
I’ll maybe get a couple of hours on it this afternoon.

Hey guys, the Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener arrived this morning, it works perfectly. I learned how to use it instantly. Highly, highly recommend it. It’s absolutely awesome, works for convex/scandi grind as well as v edges. Just what I wanted. It only cost me about $75 but I know in the US it’s much cheaper especially since they recently released a Ken Onion edition with some improvements so it should go down in price. Replacement belts cost me 50p each + shipping so I have a lot on the way to improve it. The thing is a beast, I’ve sharpened a few machetes and grinded the machete I showed you flat - one warning however, when I grinded my high carbon steel Japanese knife and my khukuris and Opinel and Mora, they all produces sparks - this however, no matter how hard I try it produces no sparks. I am beginning to worry that the description of it being made out of hot rolled High Carbon steel may be a lie and it might be stainless or it just might not be producing sparks for some other reason, either way it chops like a beast now. Seriously damaging, cuts as well as a khukuri for 20 euros. I’m happy with it now other than questions about the steel!

Sounds like a good machine to have, I’m pleased it works well for you. I wouldn’t worry too much about the machete not raising a spark, as long as it cuts.

I got a few sparks going myself this afternoon, I’m nearly there on shaping the screwed blade.

Not bad for an hour’s work. A bit more smoothing and rather than a polish this ones getting the wet/dry treatment to make it a satin finished blade. Scratches, I’ll get rid of them the easy way, having just got a facefull (a few spots really) of Peek metal polish I’ve decided to do it the slow way. Then it’s time to break out the Lansky and put an edge on that sucker.

Wow, great job. You have a nice recurve on it, so it actually looks unique at least!

Thank you, those little abrasive bobbins work well, I’ll tidy it up a bit more then sharpen it.

Cool!
Before polishing I would add a wave mod too. :wink:

The recurve looks very nice.

It sounds like a good investment. :slight_smile:
Have you bought the 230V version? Do you use the guide for sharpening or do you do it free hand?

And somebody have some y-start knife? The bear, the sword fish or the wooden asus8…

I do it both freehand and with the guide, honestly it’s easy to use freehand, if you want a sharp knife just position the knife so it’s close to the belt and pull it through evenly, it doesn’t take much skill at all. I actually don’t use the guide anymore.