BIKE LIGHT $18.57 + FREE SHIPPING

I want a white flashlight from CSTEBOKE

I mean, I could come up with almost any number of better names.

Pretty much any celestial body or anything that emits light would do.

Orion, mercury, polaris, neptune, etc…

If some of these are trademarked already you mix up spellings and add another word. For example, Orion Torch…

i don’t think they quite understand how detrimental to their sales this name is going to be. The company has nearly zero chance of success with a name like this. The ones you suggested all sound great btw. I really wish they would scrap the name now, cut their losses, and start fresh with a quality name for the new company.

Well…certainly not easy to recognize or pronounce, but I’m glad we have the explanation.

I don’t know if anyone (?) says, hey, a flashlight brand should sound/look something like THIS! while thinking that some other sound/look can’t possibly be a flashlight brand. Any time a new product or company is introduced, people just learn it. If it’s good or a good value, word gets around and people learn what the branding is and remember it.

I do agree with everyone else that, at least for the US market and maybe for many others, the name looks like a jumble of letters and since there are so many low-end sellers on Amazon and such these days with very similar nonsensical “brands”…an awful lot of people may not even give the CSTEBOKE products a click or a second glance. Some who are already familiar with flashlights and the main brands, including Sofirn itself now, may see this new brand and assume it’s just an offbrand low quality copy of the real thing.

But if the product is good then it will sell after word gets around, regardless of the name.

So now…can you tell us what TEBOKE means or stands for? Just curious. I really enjoyed learning about the history of the Sofirn name…that was neat.

As problematic as the name is, there are more interesting questions that can be asked.

What is the objective of the new brand, and what “various lighting needs” is it going to fulfill?

Beyond a relabeled SC31T with an emitter swap, and a bike light that appears to be outsourced like some of the head lights, what else will we see from this new brand? How will it be positioned relative to Sofirn and Yakorsei?

Are the other outsourced models like the D25 series going to shift over to the new brand, or continue to be sold with 77 Outdoor branding? Will the new brand receive its own dedicated website, or simply be an online storefront on other marketplaces?

Is 77 Outdoor a Sofirn/Jinba trademark, and was it considered as an alternative? It is apt for lights aimed at sporting needs, like head lights and bike lights.

Why couldn’t a unique (and not in a bad way), existing brand name with an established good reputation, Sofirn, accommodate these new “needs” and instead prompt the effort to build another brand from scratch? What will be so different about the new brand that might dissuade using the leverage and equity already earned by the existing brands?

Is there anyone inside the company who has a background with formal training in marketing and product management? A harsh question, perhaps, but there have been some good reasons to ask it. This is just the latest.

sees the boke

another case of silly brand cannibalization

Sofirn, please take our advice. Just scrap the name and cut your losses now and start fresh. Youre one of my favorite torch manufacturers, and it would be terrible to see you invest in this new company and it not only fail, but take down sofirn with it because you've invested too much and you end up selling 3 lights per month. With a name like CSTBRNKF٪XYWNE your lights would need to be significantly cheaper to sell..like $3. Real talk...youre making a mistake, and its rough for all of us to watch play out

Sofirn could even run a poll on a new name. I’m willing to bet the smart folks here at BLF will have great proposals.

Hmm… perhaps Jinba has “friends” that want a piece of the pie? Perhaps YAKORSEI is such a dealing? Perhaps upper management lets their kids name a subsidiary?

I’ve given Sofirn the benefit of honorability, with Wurkos a spin-off from some employee(s) and a work-trade partnership with Boruit. Maybe not so convivial…

I’m comfortable in my bubble, but the sales and customer support have the burden of promoting such fallacies. With a pandemic without end and an economic situation in dire strait, I’m heartfelt for the one who’s moderating this thread. They may have no clout in company affairs.

Looks like a misspelling of staybroke to me.

Despite the name I would like a code please

I worked in marketing for a multi-national company and I agree with the comments here. We would always run into the problem where a name that was recognizable and had prestige in Chinese sounded like nonsense in English (as is the case here). And the opposite is also true - some of the English product names elicit very negative reactions when feedback was solicited from Chinese focus groups. For example, one of our product names sounded like a nasty bodily function when phonetically translated to Mandarin. So we trademarked a new name for that product just for the Chinese market. It takes a good bit of expertise and experience to come up with a name that is universally appreciated and respected. Sofirn, being a fairly small and young company, would have been wise to hire a couple of marketing consultants with some of that experience and expertise before cementing this new name.

When I ran this by a few of my marketing colleagues, the reaction was quite well aligned with the comments I am reading in this thread. One of the most negative comments I got was this:
CSTEBOKE sounds like a bad English spelling of SEE ITS BROKE
Now that is NOT a reaction that you want if you are trying to establish this as a reliable budget brand.

I have several Sofirn lights and I do appreciate their quality and value. But I too would probably avoid this brand if I just stumbled upon it on Amazon.

On a positive note, the bike light looks pretty nice and luckily it does not have the CSTEBOKE jumble printed in big letters on it.

Praying they realize this and fix it before its too late.

MicroBlueBear :smiley:

Holy Crap, there is such a thing…

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0742HBXJH/

:person_facepalming:

Uranus…

I heard Uranus emits a lot more than light.

It is a gas-giant, after all…

Golden Rain

:-)))))

Just peeing kidding….

Yes, it’s less easy than one might think to develop a name into the target market and their neighbours. Remember that disaster with the big SUV labelled after a sexually aberrant person… or all these names with Fire in it. I had such a flashlight that was able to set a haystack on fire at two meters distance. Sometimes a name MUST NOT be program.

I think the sarcasm should be noted. As there are 2 types; one to undermine the nature of the statement (¿), the other of mockery (¡). But being the interwebs with limited communication skills, the “/s” is used to state the tongue and cheek.