BLF DIY Modding Project Thread

Hope so. I have two XM-L on 20mm stars and i saw these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UltraFire-C8-CREE-Q5-Tactical-Flashlight-Torch-Light-/160718367346?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item256b8faa72#ht_562wt_1270

and these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300LM-CREE-Q5-C8-5-Modes-LED-Portable-Flashlight-Torch-w-Strap-/140703844831?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item20c29a49df

How will work XM-L and Q5 reflector? Ok? Or is necessary to buy reflector for XM-L?

It works OK, the XR-E Q5 is bigger than a XM-L

Some cheap C8s from Ebay are possibly painted not anodized and there's another possibility that they have plastic reflectors. The glass and the quality of the coating applied ti the reflector is something that can also influence the price. Two of my cheap lights have obviously dark coating on the reflectors compared to some upper budget priced lights.

KD has C8 reflectors (SMO & OP), but I'm not finding any 42mm glass lenses there.

-Garry

Planning on doing this to one of my budget ebay C8:

OP Reflector

Emitter

Driver

Anything else I need to do? Replace?

Boo, hiss. I have a p60, just the drop in, no emitter, no led, no host. Stares at me like some sort of Chinese Edgar Allen Poe character, waiting. Actually, I don’t like stock Maglites either but they’re cheap and fun to mod. I wouldn’t reccommend it as a first mod though, not if you’re planning a 3A build for a AA and C/D mods get expensive quick.

Filling up is called potting and is better at securing wires than actual heat transfer. It’s not useless but great gobs are much less effective than a thin layer between mated surfaces. I use gobs frequently, not as a heat sink but as a heat tolerant electrically insulating adhesive.

dont forget thermal paste, emitter centring devices insulating pads/self adhesive disks and replacement positive springs

Good review but this is boot camp for modders so the p60 isn’t out of place

Thanks gords!

Hi I just wanted to chime in, I also am modding a couple C8’s and most of the “ultrafire” C8’s take the 20mm star not the 16mm, the only exception to that is the convoy C8 uses a 16mm star. And that driver your looking at also comes in a 3.04mA version. It uses .380mA 7135 chips instead of .350mA chips that are on that driver. I plan on using the 3.04mA driver adding 2 more 7135 .380 chips bringing it up to 3.80mA and driving a XML2-U2 1A on a Noctigon copper star. Both the driver and emitter are at Internation Outdoor for about $10.00 I’m just waiting on parts like every one else. Good luck on yer modd!

Was it this C8 I bought one form Tmart and got it a few days ago. It takes a 16mm star and a 17mm driver or at least the one I got does. It says Ultrafire C8 on it and has a XM-L T6. I am getting about 2.3 amps at the tail cap. I just bought the 3xxx mah driver from KD. I am hoping it will push more amps and make it a little brighter. I got it on sale for ~$9.

Here are some pics of it.

I hate to dredge up an old post, but did anything ever come of this?