*BLF LT1 Lantern Project) (updated Nov,17,2020)

vasa_visost is added to the interest list at number 932

Welcome to BLF Lazy-J, I added you to the interest list at number 933 and 934.
As far as future availability goes, I know a few other BLF project like this that continue to be available, like the Q8, the A6, and others as well. The intent is that this could be purchased for some time to come, but nothing is guaranteed.

+1 for an eventual BLF Lantern accessory.

In the old days I had an aluminum shield (if memory is correct est. ~120 deg coverage) for my old Coleman Gas Mantle Lantern. With LED it can be any material and perhaps even expandable?

Thanks for the great work Team.

Yep definitely an accessory kit was discussed, ( and mentioned in the video i think about the reflector accessory.

That also strikes me as a valuable add-on. Particularly in an emergency lighting situation. Focus the light where you need it; lower the power consumption vs radiating light in 360 degrees.

There are probably no magnetic materials in places on the lamp to stick a reflective shield. However, one could put a thin strip of magnetic material around the top and bottom lighted area.

The most economical approach would be a little strip of a ferrous material on the top and bottom edge of the lamp. Then the magnetic component (the flexible strips) could be part of the shield. That minimizes the cost of adding the function to the lamp. A couple of thin strips of iron. So for the lowest cost, you could make a package that does not require any changes to the lamp, but provides a useful "kit":

1. Two iron strips (top and bottom) that can be epoxied to the lamp - little cost
  2. Multiple segments of a light reflective material
    1. Maybe 2 or 3 segments
    2. A couple of low intensity magnets (strips) glued to each shield (on the outside of the shield) with flexibility
    3. If shield is suitably flexible, a simple line of magnetic strip (better conformance and less light leakage)
    4. Leave a space at the edge of each shield to allow overlap

Shouldn't cost much and will not impact the lantern cost. Also pretty easy to make you own. Most lamp buyers will probably not be interested in this. So no lamp cost increase, easily added if you change your mind.

Iā€™m already in for 1 (#62). Please sign me in for two additional lights. Thanks!

Iā€™d tend to agree with this. From a backpacking trekking point of view, itā€™s too heavy by a lot already. Iā€™ll just tek my headlamp for that. A few dollars and a few grams to add charger and power bank features seems worth it IMO. Maybe itā€™s naive but other than those costs, I donā€™t see what it hurts. One can choose not to use those features.

The body already has a tripod mount threaded hole on the back, so that can be used to mount the reflector.

DBSAR - I donā€™t think we are on the same page.

I am talking about a screen that can be used around the lamp to adjust the lighting emission into segments around the central light source. For example, if I want most of the lamp output to be directed to 180 degrees from the lamp output, I can attach/move the shield to project most of the radiation out into that 180 degree direction. More shield the more concentrated. Less shield, going to no shield, lets the lamp to do a 360 degree lighting field as produced by an unaltered lamp. The radial control is a function of how the shield pieces are sized and used.

It is all about controlling the radial emission of the lampā€™s light. The choices (again, dependent on the shield design) range between no shield (normal lamp operation) to a little bitty light source (e.g., signaling to submarines off shore). Nothing to do with tripods and the threaded hole.

This is going to be a very nice lantern, nice work DBSAR!

For camping & power outages I do prefer powerbank function fwiw. Happy to pay a few extra bucks for it! I like to have an as small as possible kit with basics when camping. With powerbank function this would be in my basic gear.

sort of like a rotatable ā€œdoor or shutterā€ type blocking shield that fits around the globe/lens?

Probably something like my idea of a diffuser, but with electroplated aluminium to work as a reflector.

The diffuser is a good thing. I think that is pretty much included in the base design.

My suggestion is essentially movable shield sections that can be used to direct light to subsets of the diffused light. Like holding you hand over part of the lamp to stop light going where you donā€™t need it. Except you will use reflective segments to reflect the light from the area you donā€™t want illuminated to the remaining open area that can use all of the light.

Think sliced lemon wedges (or watermelon - better sizing). Clean out the tasty stuff. Put a silver coating on the inside of the rind. Attach a wedge to the lamp to stop light in the wedge direction. The inside of the wedge with a nice silver inside coating takes the light you donā€™t want to escape through the watermelon wedge and directs it as additive light in the direction you want it to go. Like when you are reading a book and donā€™t need the whole tent lit. And the result is (excluding annoying your tent partner with your reading light) more light on you book, so you can turn down the power in the lamp to get the same level of light.

With a big slice of watermelon covering half the radiant field of the lamp, with that ever popular silver inner coating, you would get (more or less) twice the light where you want it. Hence, you can turn down the power consumption for lamp while still getting the desired illumination on your book. Your slices may vary. And you should look out for seeds. Realize; this experiment disregards pretty much all of the rules for light behavior. But I am just trying to get the idea across. It lets you control directing where light is useful, and not where it is not.

iā€™m also interested in 1. thanks

The idea with the reflective panels sounds good, you often need only one side of the tent, table and so on illuminated. Holding the panels with magnets should work, the single panels should cover a quarter or eighth of the lantern. An even better solution would be to have a panel that you can slide open to cover a third to four fifths of the lantern.

You dont need magnets for a reflector.
You can mount a reflector like a pocket clip with two prongs. When not needed clip it upside down on the tube

Or this Colman could be mounted on the tri-pod thread
https://www.coleman.com/lantern-reflector/2000016553.html

Added two more entries for archimedes, numbers 935 and 936 on the interest list.

piyoman added at number 937 on the interest list

Depending on price and final layout, i am in for one.

I am interested in 1. Thanks

What is the finall view of this camping light?

lulwhat added to interest list at number 938

boostedsubie added to interest list at number 939