*BLF LT1 Lantern Project) (updated Nov,17,2020)

I’m interested in at least 1.

Please put me on the list for 2. Thanks!

Is anyone else concerned about the current stocks of button top 18650’s being depleted once this lantern goes live? I mean there are a ton of new members interested in this light, and I doubt most of them have 4 extra batteries sitting around. Has anyone talked about a group buy for some of the 3500mah button tops? We’re talking about a potential for thousands of batteries here, maybe even close to 10,000. Even on the conservative side that’s over $50,000 in batteries alone. Am I crazy to be concerned?

I just ordered a bunch of 35E’s from Illunn which I will solder blob - easy - problem solved

$4.99 ea

good point, probably good to order your batteries now. I just ordered a couple extra sets of four LG MJ1 3500mah cells from a local Canadian supplier that will ship across Canada for us here. ( though these are flat top, i just add a solder blob to make them button tops.

Wratz,

You’re not crazy, I was thinking the same a couple weeks back, there will be lots of 18650 sold for this project alone. I suggest buy them early, there are a lot of reliable sources posted on BLF (illumn, liion wholesale, MTN, etc.) , but I picked up (8) of these recently from Richard @ MTN in anticipation of (2) lanterns. Sanyo/Panasonic NCR18650GA Protected 3500mAh

Cheers!

162 available! That’s my concern. You are right about buying them early.

Also, I’m not comfortable doing the solder blobs, so I doubt most people who get this will be. I just don’t have the proper equipment.

Wratz,

He was well under one hundred units (NCR18650GA Protected, no stock un protected) when I bought, then saw his stock surge to ~200, now coming back down again steady. Best to buy early, there will be a run on these, especially if Sofirn isn’t offering a low cost add on at time of order. I don’t recall that being an actual option DBSAR discussed, but I can see the convenience and opportunity for Sofirn in offering it.

Definitely interested. Please add me to the list.

Was this an issue when the Q8 started shipping?

If so, the owners of Mountain Electronics, Illumn, and Lithium Ion wholesale are all active in the community. It might be worth giving them a heads up that the lantern is expected to be popular and will likely result in a temporary spike in demand for high capacity button tops.

It wasn’t an issue BECAUSE a couple of shops were asked to stock up ahead of time to make sure we were covered, and they also gave us good deals on 4x Button Top 30Q cells “for the Q8”. Someone needs to let those shops know to do it again for the LT1 launch.

Good points. we will chat with Barry & Sofirn to see if they can supply a good set of HC 3200~3500 mAh cells as an extra cost option over the base lantern.

Regarding to price I’m interested. Please add me for one LT1.

I have been collecting laptop pulls for some time to support the lanterns I buying. 30q is a Overkill for the lantern. Four batteries can deliver the required current even on Max output. Get whatever batteries make you happy, but don’t over think it. It’s not a q8.

Well, since this lantern is meant for long run time, it’s best to get high capacity cells. Most laptop pulls are a lot less capacity than new cells that can be bought. However, if someone had access to plenty of laptop pull cells, and could keep them charged, they’d save a lot of money not buying new cells. If you’re willing to do that, the lower individual cell capacity might not be as big of a deal.

If someone IS buying new cells, the 30Q may be overkill, but many of the low current, high capacity cells are actually more expensive than the 30Q. The highest capacity 18650 is 3500 mAh, compared to the 30Q, which is 3000 mAh, so not much better for the big price difference. The 30Q really is the best all-around cell and will do fine in this lantern, and the Q8, and even the GT!

Not really concerned because I have plenty. But some shops might run out temporarily if there is a rush on batteries. Hopefully (for us in the USA) shops like LiIon Wholesale will stock up a few extra, as they have done in other GB’s; if people will commit to buy them.

Also… we know the lantern is coming very soon, there is no reason to wait to buy batteries…. Buy Them NOW. :wink:

I agree completely, but I think in reality most folks we will never come anywhere close to fully discharging without access to recharging in the lantern. I have not shopped for may cells, maybe 30Q is the best deal for capacity, if so grab it.

I doubt this lantern purchase is going to put the 18650 cell supply to dry up, even the better 30Q cells. Some vendors will may run out for a bit, and then we won’t have the optimum cells for our lantern we’ve been waiting 2+ years to come to market. :smiley:

Definitely looking forward to when it does become available. I have 30Q’s, laptop pulls measured at 2600mAHr, and other cells I pulled from the recycling bin that measure over 3000mAhr

aren’t 30Q s supposed to run better in cold temps compared to other cells?

Yes.

High drain/low resistance cells are better to use in cold temps.

HOWEVER, NEVER RECHARGE BELOW 0C.

30Q’s are on sale at Banggood because of their Astrolux lights being 4x18650 they will stay stocked I bet.

Not to mention you already know Sofirn is going to have a button top 3000mAh bundled version cause they do with all their other lights. The one I got with my Sofirn headlamp tests out at 3000mAh as rated so it’s good enough.